Christopher Shepherd wrote:I just sprinkle them with a home made dry sprinkler. A large mouth jar with five 1/4" holes drilled in the lid works good. I only target the beetles, because there are lady bugs and lighting bugs all over the place that do no harm. I saw a hand sprinkler at tsc. It was like $17, to much for me.
Going to go make one right now! Awesome idea!
Zone 5b, dry, high desert in New Mexico 7500' elevation
Better world Book Kickstarter
Save the world - Support world Domination and prevent the domination station from thirst!
So sorry Anne. Sometimes our best efforts yield poor results.
My harvest did reasonably well. I ended up with almost 33 pounds out of the five I planted. My last bed is Kennebecs and they've been a challenge. They were heavily mulched and still the bed stayed too dry. We had several days of rain and they're finally looking good. Waiting for them to die down so I can harvest the potatoes.
I've never had much luck with potatoes in pots. However I did some in pot composting over the winter and evidently I had put some Kennebec peelings in a pot, covered with mulch, and then forgot about it. When I grabbed the pot this spring I had several shoots coming up (way too many in fact), yet I added more mulch to protect from the cold and basically ignored it except for the time of two I actually gave it some water. The foliage died down and I emptied the pot. I ended up with two pounds of small potatoes. While that's not really anything worth bragging about, the amazing thing is that those two pounds of potatoes came from something that was destined for the compost pile.
I planted most of my potatoes in the nascent forest garden (i.e., a foot-thick carpet of aged wood chips in part sun). This week I noticed that most of them were dying. I dug one up experimentally, and discovered that potatoes were rotting under there!
The wood chips were almost always damp, but I watered pretty heavily during the drought. I guess too heavily! We had a big rainstorm for two days (several inches) and four days later, another one (at least 2 inches). Then I noticed how bedraggled they were.
There are perfectly good potatoes under there, too, so I'm going to harvest them before they are no good.
The best news is, those wood chips are really rotting! Crawling with mycelium. Perhaps this is why the drainage was compromised. I really thought the wood chips would drain easily. But it's turning to soil, and that's the whole point!