• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
permaculture forums growies critters building homesteading energy monies kitchen purity ungarbage community wilderness fiber arts art permaculture artisans regional education skip experiences global resources cider press projects digital market permies.com pie forums private forums all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
master stewards:
  • paul wheaton
  • Anne Miller
  • Carla Burke
  • Nancy Reading
  • John F Dean
  • Timothy Norton
  • Jay Angler
stewards:
  • r ransom
  • Pearl Sutton
  • Tereza Okava
master gardeners:
  • Christopher Weeks
gardeners:
  • M Ljin
  • Megan Palmer
  • Kate Downham

What digging fork have you found to be the sturdiest?

 
master steward
Posts: 16353
Location: Pacific Wet Coast
10857
duck books chicken cooking food preservation ungarbage
  • Likes 4
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Thekla McDaniels wrote:  The pipe-sleeve allows you to exert the bending force on a very specific location… as opposed to the bending being spread generally over the whole piece of metal...


Yes - that was the effect my neighbor achieved when he stuck the fork between 2 parts of his skid steer. He was concentrating the pressure as close to where the "bend" appeared to have been made when the tool was damaged.
 
gardener & author
Posts: 3727
Location: Tasmania
2377
9
homeschooling goat forest garden fungi foraging trees cooking food preservation pig wood heat homestead
  • Likes 5
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
The best forks I have used are broadforks with full metal handles. Meadow Creature are very popular in the US, or in Australia, F D Ryan makes great ones.
 
pollinator
Posts: 155
Location: Mason County, WA USA:Ha; Harstine gravel ashy sandy loam
116
duck rabbit chicken medical herbs bee solar wood heat rocket stoves
  • Likes 4
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
That is a GREAT idea - the number of uses for a length of pipe is growing....  I will look in my stash of odds and ends to see what I can find - thank you for the suggestions!
 
Posts: 10
1
  • Likes 6
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I’ve snapped a few forks over the years, and the thing that saved my sanity was slowing down and letting the soil tell me what it’s ready for. If it feels like I’m wrestling a bear, I soak the spot or switch tools. A broadfork has become my quiet workhorse for big root jobs, and I only grab the smaller forks once things are loosened up.
 
Now I am super curious what sports would be like if we allowed drugs and tiny ads.
Come Visit Wheaton Labs!
https://permies.com/wiki/367505/Visit-Wheaton-Labs
reply
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic