I have a natural system structure "green, chicken, rabbit, quail, duck, fish-house" about 700 sq ft. 12 months under construction, about 75% complete. I have done due diligence on the RMH, connected with yall thru the Wheaton World and paid money on the Kick Starter Package. I have scavenged, collected and purchased raw materials and I am now moving into build phase of the RMH.
Last week I attended a Ginger and Turmeric Growers Conference at Virginia State University, I spoke with one of the presenters who has several multi-thousand sq foot high tunnels to grow his product. He runs waste oil heaters and discussed lots of problems..... Privately, I asked if he had considered using a RMH. At first he just stared at me with a quizzical look then I asked him if he was familiar with the technology which he replied of course. Then he began to express concern about how to manage the sulfuric acid by-product due to the combination of soot in the heater and moisture in the greenhouse, which was one of his problems in the waste oil heater system..... humphhh... I was blank because I had not heard you guys discuss that or did I miss it. I was under the idea that since all fuel and flue gasses were utterly consumed in the burn chamber and the exhaust stack that there was no residuals other than terpenes in the mass-duct and chimney.
I will be using a version of Ernie and Erica greenhouse system. I will place the mass-ductwork in the ground and use earth for the mass so lots of digging in clay to be done. I am close to breaking ground on that build. I am concerned about the "sulfuric acid" statement. What can you tell me about sulfuric acid in the RMH design
Location: Cache Valley, zone 4b, Irrigated, 9" rain in badlands.
posted 2 years ago
I suppose that technically, a RMH doesn't "utterly consume" any of the materials placed into it: They are converted into a combination of gases and ashes. Burning wood or coal produces a bit of sulfur dioxide along with the other gases. The sulfur dioxide is converted to sulfuric acid when exposed to moisture. That's why wood/coal burning stoves are vented to the outside. A RMH may do a better job at burning smoke/soot particles, but it is still producing gas.