My name is Uroš Jarc and I'm from Slovenia. I joust inherited abandoned field in which was previously planted vineyard. I have read the book The One-Straw Revolution by Masanobu Fukuoka and was heavely inspired by the methods of natural farming.
I don't have any farming knowledge but I would like to start as soon as possible with natural farming on the fields.
Im quite scared because here we have quite strong winters which are not described in any Fukuoka books that I have read... Since he is from japan he does not have to deal with winters. Another problem is steep incline which face east. Anyhow I have around 80 types of plants seeds that exists in my country and now I'm eager to start sowing the land with seed balls.
I really need some kinda plan to kick start my small farm, can you guys please help me with creating some kind a schedule so that it would yield best results on my farm. It would be really helpful if you could joust describe your yearly schedule to learm from yours experience. Any suggestion is more than welcome.
It looks like you are in zone 7b, with even distribution of rain throughout the year.
My recommendations would be:
1) Earthworks (Swales or Terrace or Berms, etc)
2) Carbon (straw, hay, biochar, woodchip, Animal Litter, Compost)
3) Soil Life (Mushroom Slurries, Worm Tea, Composting worms, mushroom, Animal Litter, Compost)
4) Nitrogen Fixers (about 80% of the ground cover should be nitrogen fixers e.g. Fava Beans, Dutch Clover, Alfalfa, etc)
5) Other Seeds/cover crop (mint/thyme family, carrot/dill family, onion/garlic family, wheat/oats/grass family)
6) FruitTrees esp Fall Planted Bare-Roots.
7) Spring Planted 3ft wide Garden Rows of Produce to sell at the market
You can grow and sell
Herbs in the onion or dill or mint/thyme family
Mushroom Oyster & Wine Cap, but others are very doable
Vegetables Cabbage/Kale family, Spinach/Chard family, Lettuce/Dandelion family.
Potatoes/Tomatoes family, Squash/Melon family, Starchy Storage root crops.
8) Spring BeeHive
Iterations are fine, we don't have to be perfect
Location: Massachusetts, Zone:6/7, AHS:4, Rainfall:48in even Soil:SandyLoam pH6 Flat