• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
permaculture forums growies critters building homesteading energy monies kitchen purity ungarbage community wilderness fiber arts art permaculture artisans regional education skip experiences global resources cider press projects digital market permies.com pie forums private forums all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
master stewards:
  • paul wheaton
  • Anne Miller
  • Carla Burke
  • Nancy Reading
  • John F Dean
  • Timothy Norton
  • Jay Angler
stewards:
  • r ransom
  • Pearl Sutton
  • Tereza Okava
master gardeners:
  • Christopher Weeks
gardeners:
  • M Ljin
  • Megan Palmer
  • Kate Downham

!! In the quiet hours of the bootcamp grind, I found myself: Esteban's Bootcamp Experience

 
pollinator
Posts: 421
1323
  • Likes 5
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Here are some delightful pics of the past two days ...
20261006_080554.jpg
[Thumbnail for 20261006_080554.jpg]
20261006_085439.jpg
[Thumbnail for 20261006_085439.jpg]
20261006_085617.jpg
[Thumbnail for 20261006_085617.jpg]
20261006_085739.jpg
[Thumbnail for 20261006_085739.jpg]
20261006_090049.jpg
[Thumbnail for 20261006_090049.jpg]
20261006_091304.jpg
[Thumbnail for 20261006_091304.jpg]
20261006_093103.jpg
[Thumbnail for 20261006_093103.jpg]
20261006_093654.jpg
[Thumbnail for 20261006_093654.jpg]
20261006_102119.jpg
[Thumbnail for 20261006_102119.jpg]
20261006_102729.jpg
[Thumbnail for 20261006_102729.jpg]
20261006_133237.jpg
[Thumbnail for 20261006_133237.jpg]
20261006_134421.jpg
[Thumbnail for 20261006_134421.jpg]
20261006_135222.jpg
[Thumbnail for 20261006_135222.jpg]
20261006_140639.jpg
[Thumbnail for 20261006_140639.jpg]
20261006_140724.jpg
[Thumbnail for 20261006_140724.jpg]
20261006_144742.jpg
[Thumbnail for 20261006_144742.jpg]
20261006_151939.jpg
[Thumbnail for 20261006_151939.jpg]
20261006_163837.jpg
[Thumbnail for 20261006_163837.jpg]
20261006_171131.jpg
[Thumbnail for 20261006_171131.jpg]
20261006_171137.jpg
[Thumbnail for 20261006_171137.jpg]
20261006_175748.jpg
[Thumbnail for 20261006_175748.jpg]
20261007_091652.jpg
[Thumbnail for 20261007_091652.jpg]
20261007_132338.jpg
[Thumbnail for 20261007_132338.jpg]
20261007_150714.jpg
[Thumbnail for 20261007_150714.jpg]
 
Esteban Ademovski
pollinator
Posts: 421
1323
  • Likes 8
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Inge Leonora-den Ouden wrote:

Esteban Ademovski wrote:...
Thank you, Inge! 😊❤️ It’s hard to believe a whole year has already gone by. Wheaton Labs has been quite the journey, with plenty of learning, growing, and blessings along the way. One year down, and I'm continuing to work toward my bigger dream of eventually returning to Europe and taking over my late father's apple orchards along Lake Prespa in Macedonia. 🍎🇲🇰 It would mean a lot to carry on that piece of my family's history. For now, I'm grateful for everything I'm learning here and looking forward to seeing where the journey takes me. 😊


Interesting, I didn't know about the apple orchard in Macedonia. All you learn at Wheaton Labs could be helpful in your dream coming true ...



Yeah, there’s actually quite a story behind that dream. 😊 I’m first-generation American and still hold dual citizenship. Both sides of my family are from Macedonia—my mother’s side immigrated to the U.S. back in the ’60s, and my father came over in the early ’80s after serving in the Yugoslav Navy. So Macedonia has always been an important part of my family’s history.

On my father’s side, my grandfather left roughly 40 hectares (100 acres) to each of his three sons—my dad and my two uncles—and apples have always been one of the main crops. They also grow tobacco, make raki, and have a long history of commercial fishing. The land is around Lake Prespa, which is shared by North Macedonia, Greece, and Albania. 🇲🇰🇬🇷🇦🇱

So eventually going back and taking care of that land means more to me than simply having an orchard. It would be a way of carrying forward a piece of my family’s history. 🍎

And honestly, my time here at Wheaton Labs has been such a delightful and rewarding experience. I’ve learned so much by actually getting my hands in the dirt—working with trees, land, water, equipment, and all the little things that go into making a place work. It’s given me a great foundation to continue growing from, and I feel like Wheaton Labs is one of many wonderful places along my journey.

A lot of what I’m learning here could eventually be useful when I make my way back home. For now, I’m just grateful to be here, keep learning, and see where the road takes me. I really do recommend that people come out here, get their hands in the dirt, and experience it for themselves. There’s something special about learning by doing. 🌱

I actually have a few pictures from an apple harvest a couple of years ago, including one with my uncle. 😊 I thought I’d share them with you so you can get a little glimpse of the orchards I’m talking about. 🍎🇲🇰
IMG-20241011-WA0009.jpg
[Thumbnail for IMG-20241011-WA0009.jpg]
IMG-20241011-WA0010.jpg
[Thumbnail for IMG-20241011-WA0010.jpg]
IMG-20241011-WA0011.jpg
[Thumbnail for IMG-20241011-WA0011.jpg]
 
pollinator
Posts: 3602
Location: Meppel (Drenthe, the Netherlands)
1262
dog forest garden urban cooking bike fiber arts
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Thank you, Esteban, for the explanation and the photos.
 
Esteban Ademovski
pollinator
Posts: 421
1323
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Inge Leonora-den Ouden wrote:Thank you, Esteban, for the explanation and the photos.



It's absolutely my pleasure! And I want to thank you and everyone else who's been following my thread. I truly appreciate the support and kind words from everyone along the way. 😊

 
Esteban Ademovski
pollinator
Posts: 421
1323
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
B.E.L. Post # 277

I started my morning by re-handling a carpenter's hatchet because the head kept moving around on the handle. I clamped it in the vise and used my pull saw to cut the handle off right below the head. Then, using the pliers on my multitool, I tapped out the remaining piece of hickory.

The new handle was slightly too big where it fit into the head, so I rasped it down until it fit properly. I tapped it back into place, found a piece of metal to use as a wedge, and used the bench grinder to sharpen one end before tapping it in to secure the head.

After that, I split some firewood and did some chop-and-drop.

After lunch, I spent some time working on my boot bench rest area, my little personal project. I sowed some ground cover, including yellow clover, and walking onions, then added mulch from the chop-and-drop and irrigated the little garden area.

I also spent some time building trails before briefly joining Leo's team to help with bucking, splitting, and stacking firewood.
20261008_080508.jpg
Morning meeting
Morning meeting
20261008_090443.jpg
Dan always seems thrilled with my photo taking
Dan always seems thrilled with my photo taking
20261008_090508.jpg
Jesse touching up her favorite chainsaw before the house paddock task
Jesse touching up her favorite chainsaw before the house paddock task
20261008_090513.jpg
[Thumbnail for 20261008_090513.jpg]
20261008_090542.jpg
[Thumbnail for 20261008_090542.jpg]
20261008_090552.jpg
[Thumbnail for 20261008_090552.jpg]
20261008_090825.jpg
[Thumbnail for 20261008_090825.jpg]
20261008_090954.jpg
[Thumbnail for 20261008_090954.jpg]
20261008_091052.jpg
[Thumbnail for 20261008_091052.jpg]
20261008_091243.jpg
[Thumbnail for 20261008_091243.jpg]
20261008_091457.jpg
[Thumbnail for 20261008_091457.jpg]
20261008_093414.jpg
[Thumbnail for 20261008_093414.jpg]
20261008_100939.jpg
[Thumbnail for 20261008_100939.jpg]
20261008_101038.jpg
[Thumbnail for 20261008_101038.jpg]
20261008_104557.jpg
[Thumbnail for 20261008_104557.jpg]
20261008_105256.jpg
[Thumbnail for 20261008_105256.jpg]
20261008_110029.jpg
[Thumbnail for 20261008_110029.jpg]
20261008_113735.jpg
[Thumbnail for 20261008_113735.jpg]
20261008_132649.jpg
[Thumbnail for 20261008_132649.jpg]
20261008_141416.jpg
[Thumbnail for 20261008_141416.jpg]
20261008_162205.jpg
[Thumbnail for 20261008_162205.jpg]
20261008_162146.jpg
[Thumbnail for 20261008_162146.jpg]
20261008_163421.jpg
[Thumbnail for 20261008_163421.jpg]
20261008_164211.jpg
[Thumbnail for 20261008_164211.jpg]
 
It was a ray gun. And now this tiny ad insists on being addressed as "Ray":
a new overhaul of the freeheat page - need feedbacks for world domination
https://permies.com/t/389799/overhaul-freeheat-page-feedbacks-world
reply
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic