My mom spotted this in a tree while walking. I initially guessed it to be an oyster that hadn't gone flat yet, simply because it was growing horizontal on a tree. I spore printed it though, and it came up brown. Meadow mushroom is my best guess at this point. Sorry about the purple paper under the sporeprint, I was expecting white spores, not brown.
Southwest Missouri, we had an over 2.5 inch rain recently, and the tree is not doing well, lots of bugs and dead branches.
It's around 6 inches across, the gills are pinking up since it was picked.
Really not sure what this is, looks and smells like a good mushroom. It's in the fridge, I'm not tasting it yet :D I suspect that there will be more of them on that tree next time it rains. If it's a good edible, that's a huge mushroom!
Kevin Hoover wrote:If by meadow mushrooms, you mean Agaricus campetis, they don’t grow on trees, but break down manure in pastures.
Yes, sorry, my book calls them Meadow Mushrooms. And yeah, that's what I think too, which is why this thing in the tree is puzzling me
Not sure what it can be, ain't oyster, aint meadow, doesn't fit anything I can come up with.
Looks and smells like a good mushroom, but I'm not tasting it!!
We got more rain, that tree will probably sprout more of them.