• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
permaculture forums growies critters building homesteading energy monies kitchen purity ungarbage community wilderness fiber arts art permaculture artisans regional education skip experiences global resources the cider press projects digital market permies.com private forums all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
master stewards:
  • James Freyr
  • Nicole Alderman
  • Anne Miller
  • r ranson
  • Mike Jay Haasl
  • Dave Burton
  • Pearl Sutton
stewards:
  • paul wheaton
  • Joylynn Hardesty
  • Joseph Lofthouse
garden masters:
  • Steve Thorn
gardeners:
  • Dan Boone
  • Carla Burke
  • Kate Downham

Buying / Trading Plants, Trees, Seeds, Rootstock Amongst Ourselves?

 
Posts: 22
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I'd love it if we could set up a system where people could post up things they have excess amounts of and what they are looking for so we could barter amongst eachother for trees, seeds, ect.

I'm looking for paw paws, north american nut trees, honey berry, sea berry, goji berry root stock.

In my case as a beginner, I haven't really got much established that I could use for bartering and would be willing to pay for stuff. I'm in the south coast of massachusetts and we have a lot of blackwalnut, hazelnut......pine&cedar. But I do have things like rosehips (I haven't tried propagating from seed or cutting), honey suckle, raspberries, blackberries, autumn olive, I've found a variety of ground cherry thats larger, meatier, and that has a more nuttier sweet taste than the ones I've cultivated on the farm i work at from johnny's seeds. We're right on the ocean too, so I've got lots of close-proximity-to-the-ocean-type stuff.

Get at me people. Really looking for paw paws and would gladly throw you some money, any of the things I've mentioned, or look for things you might need that could be growing here.
 
pollinator
Posts: 2300
Location: Kent, UK - Zone 8
187
books composting toilet bee rocket stoves wood heat homestead
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hi John,

It is exactly the right time to be sticking hardwood cuttings. Lots of youtube videos for guidance.

Many of them need nothing more than a cultivated weed free bed to be stuck in over the winter. I stuck a few hundred cutting just on sunday - some fruit bushes but mostly ornamental roses. I'd take a look around you and see what plants you can stick. Even if you don't want more of them yourself it will give something to offer.

Personally I'm aiming to propagate enough currant bushes to plant a 50m or so hedge - I like red currants a lot.

Mike
 
Posts: 319
Location: (Zone 7-8/Elv. 350) Powhatan, VA (Sloped Forests & Meadow)
5
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hi! We are in Virginia (zone 7b-8a...this winter may push down to 7a). I am very interested in exactly the same thing! I have done a few straight trades with some permies; but, would be interested in inexpensive options, too. I have about 65 paw paw seedlings in that I bought for about $3 each. (We plan on about 200 total) I can get you info if you need it. Several permies also have paw paw seeds that they could trade / sell. I plan to inventory this years seeds this next weekend; I will know what I have then. My pear, peach, and apple cultivars I have already promised the cuttings to a local Craigslist poly culturist who has a lot of different fruit tree cutting to trade. He too, is interested in a scion network; as grafting is his specialty. I also have lots of different hickories and oaks that I can trade acorns/nuts or cuttings from.
 
Posts: 57
Location: Missoula, Montana
1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hello people. This is grim news as it relates to trading food and farm products - probably even trees and shrubs among farmers and groups at the local level. The pending regulations will put unreasonable pressure on small farmers who grow produce for Saturday markets and neighborhood food groups. Small farm products includes vegetable, honey and baked goods. For example the regulations restrict farmers from cooperating among themselves to sell and trade food. Unfortunately the regulations do not address food safety risks from genetically engineered crops, pesticide use, or antibiotic resistance.

It's a pain in the butt to network on these things, but this one can't be ignored. There is a nov 15th deadline for comments to FDA on the draft which was just released. So do what you can. Watch for a Whitehouse petition in the next few days. Read this and network it to your people. please.

"Fear the Turtle: FDA's One Sided Food Safety Regulations"
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/tanya-tolchin/fda-small-scale-farming_b_4178637.html
http://salsa.wiredforchange.com/o/5735/p/salsa/web/common/public/content?content_item_KEY=9861

Thanks, Kathy in Missoula
 
Michael Cox
pollinator
Posts: 2300
Location: Kent, UK - Zone 8
187
books composting toilet bee rocket stoves wood heat homestead
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Kathy, perhaps your post deserves it's own thread? Comparatively few people will find it in here.
 
K. Johnson
Posts: 57
Location: Missoula, Montana
1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Ya I see that this isn't the greates place to post this plus the FDA comment pages for the relevant dockets are down, which means th ecomment period should be extended.

http://www.fda.gov/Food/GuidanceRegulation/FSMA/ucm261689.htm

Sorry for butting in...
K
 
steward
Posts: 7926
Location: Currently in Lake Stevens, WA. Home in Spokane
315
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
There is already a thread regarding the proposed new regulations here: https://permies.com/t/29269/md/FDA-Proposed-Food-Safety-Regulations

Any discussion about that topic should be done in that thread...not in this one.

 
pollinator
Posts: 1376
Location: cool climate, Blue Mountains, Australia
18
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I like the idea very much especially for rare species it is difficult to get seeds. I am not a tech geek but could there be a searchable list?
And plants can (mostly) only traded within one country. So the location is important. However we can import many seeds here.
 
Posts: 1947
Location: Southern New England, seaside, avg yearly rainfall 41.91 in, zone 6b
78
forest garden fungi trees books chicken bee
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I've noticed that this is something people do on permies. It's a great resource.

I never get to the post office, or anywhere much really, but I would like to do some trading.

For seeds I have Chinese chestnuts, catnip(the kind that's good for cats or for tea, none of this ornamental junk), wormwood, kale, spicy mustard greens, long island cheese pumpkin (much like butternut squash) and basil. That's just what I can think off of the top of my head.

I'd also love north American nuts of any kind.

I know some permies like it, but I would never plant Autumn Olive. It's invasive in our forests and the fruits are not yummy to me. The birds eat the berries and poop the seeds all over. Since it's a Russian variety, it leafs out earlier than our native trees, shading them. I'm not a native plant fascist, I'm ok with introducing plants if they have great functions and won't cause too much trouble but here in New England Russian olive isn't worth the nitrogen fixing and oxalic acid berries. Bleah.

 
Cortland Satsuma
Posts: 319
Location: (Zone 7-8/Elv. 350) Powhatan, VA (Sloped Forests & Meadow)
5
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
@Matu...

I would be interested in your: Chestnut, Wormwood, Basil


I will have a list this weekend. What I know I have a ton of: Hickory, Oak, Winged Sumac, Rudbeckia, Butternut Squash, Yellow Cucumbers, Marigold, Lambs Quarter, Papaya (not cold hardy)


@Everyone...

I am located in Virginia, USA (7b-8a)

I have a some persimmon seeds for trade for any of the following: Medlars, Quince, Blk or White Mulberries, White Currants, Goji,

 
John Gray
Posts: 22
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Michael Cox wrote:Hi John,

It is exactly the right time to be sticking hardwood cuttings. Lots of youtube videos for guidance.

Many of them need nothing more than a cultivated weed free bed to be stuck in over the winter. I stuck a few hundred cutting just on sunday - some fruit bushes but mostly ornamental roses. I'd take a look around you and see what plants you can stick. Even if you don't want more of them yourself it will give something to offer.

Personally I'm aiming to propagate enough currant bushes to plant a 50m or so hedge - I like red currants a lot.

Mike



How easy is that? I've been taking cuttings of raspberry, blueberry and goji, sticking them in soil filled toilet paper rolls sitting upright in a 2in. fish bucket with an inch of water and a bubbler, Is that too much work? They seem to be happy and I transplant them to pots once root bound.
 
John Gray
Posts: 22
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Cortland Satsuma wrote:Hi! We are in Virginia (zone 7b-8a...this winter may push down to 7a). I am very interested in exactly the same thing! I have done a few straight trades with some permies; but, would be interested in inexpensive options, too. I have about 65 paw paw seedlings in that I bought for about $3 each. (We plan on about 200 total) I can get you info if you need it. Several permies also have paw paw seeds that they could trade / sell. I plan to inventory this years seeds this next weekend; I will know what I have then. My pear, peach, and apple cultivars I have already promised the cuttings to a local Craigslist poly culturist who has a lot of different fruit tree cutting to trade. He too, is interested in a scion network; as grafting is his specialty. I also have lots of different hickories and oaks that I can trade acorns/nuts or cuttings from.



Hey! That'd be amazing any info would be greatly appreciated, and If anything I originally mentioned is something you need I'd gladly send you hazelnuts, blackwalnuts, ect I'm even making a tooth powder with blackwalnut husks that is said to get rid of cavities and repair enamel(I'll test it on myself first, see if I get black teeth). How did you plant your pawpaws??
 
John Gray
Posts: 22
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Matu Collins wrote:I've noticed that this is something people do on permies. It's a great resource.

I never get to the post office, or anywhere much really, but I would like to do some trading.

For seeds I have Chinese chestnuts, catnip, wormwood, kale, spicy mustard greens, long island cheese pumpkin (much like butternut squash) and basil. That's just what I can think off of the top of my head.

I'd also love north American nuts of any kind.

I know some permies like it, but I would never plant Autumn Olive. It's invasive in our forests and the fruits are not yummy to me. The birds east the berries and poop the seeds all over. Since it's a Russian variety, it leafs out earlier than our native trees, shading them. I'm not a native plant Nazi, I'm ok with introducing plants if they have great functions and won't cause too much trouble but here in New England Russian olive isn't worth the nitrogen fixing and oxalic acid berries. Bleah.



I've got tons of hazelnuts and black walnuts, might even be able to find you a sapling. Would love chinese chest nuts, whats worm wood all about?
 
Michael Cox
pollinator
Posts: 2300
Location: Kent, UK - Zone 8
187
books composting toilet bee rocket stoves wood heat homestead
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
This one for taking roses is fairly typical - cut lengths of about 9" and put them in the soil about 2" apart. They will go dormant over the winter and put out new roots and buds as the soil warms up.



Not everything works well this way, but many do. Just do a google search for hardwood cuttings and the name of the plant you are interested in.

I did my first few cuttings last year and successfully struck red currants, lavender and grapes. Do lots more than you think you will need so that if some don '
To take you will probably still have enough. Trade any surplus away (or sell them with your other farm produce!)

I think there is a real case for incorporating a cuttings business alongside small permaculture holdings. They are relatively lucrative, easy to produce and fairly easy to sell. Even an honesty box by the farm gate would probably bring in a little if the offerings were interesting.

Also, the plants you strike only grow in value the longer they have been grown on for. Say you make 100 red currant plants. As rooted cuttings in their first year you might get 1 dollar each. With a full year of growth and in a nice pot you might get 5, and after two years you would probably be looking at 15. What other farm products gain in value if you can't sell them immediately?

You can take 100 red currant cuttings in an area 1' by 2' and it would take you less than an hour.
 
John Gray
Posts: 22
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Cortland Satsuma wrote:@Matu...

I would be interested in your: Chestnut, Wormwood, Basil


I will have a list this weekend. What I know I have a ton of: Hickory, Oak, Winged Sumac, Rudbeckia, Butternut Squash, Yellow Cucumbers, Marigold, Lambs Quarter, Papaya (not cold hardy)


@Everyone...

I am located in Virginia, USA (7b-8a)

I have a some persimmon seeds for trade for any of the following: Medlars, Quince, Blk or White Mulberries, White Currants, Goji,

How many goji seeds do you need?

 
Michael Cox
pollinator
Posts: 2300
Location: Kent, UK - Zone 8
187
books composting toilet bee rocket stoves wood heat homestead
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Technology fail posting videos from my iPad - I hope you can get the link to work.

EDIT - fixed the dodgy youtube link now.
 
Cortland Satsuma
Posts: 319
Location: (Zone 7-8/Elv. 350) Powhatan, VA (Sloped Forests & Meadow)
5
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
@John...

John Gray wrote:

Cortland Satsuma wrote:@Matu...

I would be interested in your: Chestnut, Wormwood, Basil


I will have a list this weekend. What I know I have a ton of: Hickory, Oak, Winged Sumac, Rudbeckia, Butternut Squash, Yellow Cucumbers, Marigold, Lambs Quarter, Papaya (not cold hardy)


@Everyone...

I am located in Virginia, USA (7b-8a)

I have a some persimmon seeds for trade for any of the following: Medlars, Quince, Blk or White Mulberries, White Currants, Goji,

How many goji seeds do you need?

We are working with about 12 acres, so we have several spots for them. If you have a lot of extra seed, please send as much as you can on a stamp. Thank you!

Our mailing address is: POB 1022, Powhatan, VA 23139
 
Cortland Satsuma
Posts: 319
Location: (Zone 7-8/Elv. 350) Powhatan, VA (Sloped Forests & Meadow)
5
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
@John...
I am interested in the hazel nuts also. I do have one mature black walnut; We have decided not to plant any more as they do not fit well in our plans.

John Gray wrote:

Matu Collins wrote:I've noticed that this is something people do on permies. It's a great resource.

I never get to the post office, or anywhere much really, but I would like to do some trading.

For seeds I have Chinese chestnuts, catnip, wormwood, kale, spicy mustard greens, long island cheese pumpkin (much like butternut squash) and basil. That's just what I can think off of the top of my head.

I'd also love north American nuts of any kind.

I know some permies like it, but I would never plant Autumn Olive. It's invasive in our forests and the fruits are not yummy to me. The birds east the berries and poop the seeds all over. Since it's a Russian variety, it leafs out earlier than our native trees, shading them. I'm not a native plant Nazi, I'm ok with introducing plants if they have great functions and won't cause too much trouble but here in New England Russian olive isn't worth the nitrogen fixing and oxalic acid berries. Bleah.



I've got tons of hazelnuts and black walnuts, might even be able to find you a sapling. Would love chinese chest nuts, whats worm wood all about?

 
Cortland Satsuma
Posts: 319
Location: (Zone 7-8/Elv. 350) Powhatan, VA (Sloped Forests & Meadow)
5
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
@John...

John Gray wrote:I'd love it if we could set up a system where people could post up things they have excess amounts of and what they are looking for so we could barter amongst eachother for trees, seeds, ect.

I'm looking for paw paws, north american nut trees, honey berry, sea berry, goji berry root stock.

In my case as a beginner, I haven't really got much established that I could use for bartering and would be willing to pay for stuff. I'm in the south coast of massachusetts and we have a lot of blackwalnut, hazelnut......pine&cedar. But I do have things like rosehips (I haven't tried propagating from seed or cutting), honey suckle, raspberries, blackberries, autumn olive, I've found a variety of ground cherry thats larger, meatier, and that has a more nuttier sweet taste than the ones I've cultivated on the farm i work at from johnny's seeds. We're right on the ocean too, so I've got lots of close-proximity-to-the-ocean-type stuff.

Get at me people. Really looking for paw paws and would gladly throw you some money, any of the things I've mentioned, or look for things you might need that could be growing here.



On the pawpaws...How many are you looking to get? (I have multiple sources and will forward you the most appropriate ones.)
 
Posts: 1
Location: Oklahoma Zone 7a
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Just want to throw this out there. I have a Flying Dragon Fruit Tree that sits just over my fence and I love it. It's dropping a lot of fruit and each one has a billion seeds. I've already given some to a few local permies but if you're interested just let me know. We are trying to grow a few to use as a citrus rootstock here in Oklahoma where the super dry summers aren't always the best for oranges/lemons.
 
pollinator
Posts: 1312
Location: northern northern california
137
forest garden foraging trees fiber arts building medical herbs
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
cool =)
i think its a good idea...i guess theres some people who trade here but it could have some kind of better format that might encourage more people to trade. course there are other places too...

i'm such a plant geek and i love trading seeds !
i would trade with you all, if anyone wants some of what i have.

@john, i would LOVE some hazelnuts for planting.
however i dont have anything on your most wanted list, but possibly i could find something you would enjoy. i do have huge huge boxes over flowing with seeds...so lets talk if you are willing to trade for something else

@trish blitzer, welcome =)
i would also love some flying dragon seeds. what are you looking for in return?

@anyone else, drop me a line if you might want to trade with me. =)

i have a big list, and many other things not listed of things to trade. perhaps its easiest for me if i can read your most wanted list....or whatevers clever.
i trade a lot at garden web, especially lately i've been making some great trades, so i have this list that i try to keep updated, although i should edit it soon....

http://members.gardenweb.com/members/exch/leilahamaya
 
leila hamaya
pollinator
Posts: 1312
Location: northern northern california
137
forest garden foraging trees fiber arts building medical herbs
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
ooo actually i do have english walnut (although they are from last year i am going to try to sprout some this winter, they are raw unprocessed, and dried from last year) and california black walnut.

i was so psyched and watching the california black walnut trees, when i wasnt sure exactly what they were. now i know though! the shell is incredibly thick, the nut is the tiniest little thing in there and the husk is very very difficult to remove. i give up! leave them for the squirrels! but if anyone is interested they are native walnut trees....
 
Cortland Satsuma
Posts: 319
Location: (Zone 7-8/Elv. 350) Powhatan, VA (Sloped Forests & Meadow)
5
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Cortland Satsuma wrote:@Matu...

I would be interested in your: Chestnut, Wormwood, Basil


I will have a list this weekend. What I know I have a ton of: Hickory, Oak, Winged Sumac, Rudbeckia, Butternut Squash, Yellow Cucumbers, Marigold, Lambs Quarter, Papaya (not cold hardy)


@Everyone...

I am located in Virginia, USA (7b-8a)

I have a some persimmon seeds OR COLD HARDY FIG SEEDS, OR BLACK WALNUTS for trade for any of the following: Medlars, Quince, Blk or White Mulberries, White Currants, Goji,



UPDATE: Other items we have in definite excess are... Cosmos (mainly purple and white), Yarrow, Siberian Iris, Sedum (Very tall, big leaves, large pink/purple flower cluster heads), Echinacea, Loblolly Pine cones/nuts, White or Pink Flowering Dogwood Tree, Blackberry, Butternut squash, Japanese Pumpkin, etc.

 
Cortland Satsuma
Posts: 319
Location: (Zone 7-8/Elv. 350) Powhatan, VA (Sloped Forests & Meadow)
5
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Cortland Satsuma wrote:@John...

John Gray wrote:I'd love it if we could set up a system where people could post up things they have excess amounts of and what they are looking for so we could barter amongst eachother for trees, seeds, ect.

I'm looking for paw paws, north american nut trees, honey berry, sea berry, goji berry root stock.

In my case as a beginner, I haven't really got much established that I could use for bartering and would be willing to pay for stuff. I'm in the south coast of massachusetts and we have a lot of blackwalnut, hazelnut......pine&cedar. But I do have things like rosehips (I haven't tried propagating from seed or cutting), honey suckle, raspberries, blackberries, autumn olive, I've found a variety of ground cherry thats larger, meatier, and that has a more nuttier sweet taste than the ones I've cultivated on the farm i work at from johnny's seeds. We're right on the ocean too, so I've got lots of close-proximity-to-the-ocean-type stuff.

Get at me people. Really looking for paw paws and would gladly throw you some money, any of the things I've mentioned, or look for things you might need that could be growing here.



On the pawpaws...How many are you looking to get? (I have multiple sources and will forward you the most appropriate ones.)



Hi John...
One of the good options for Paw paws that we bought from (minimal losses) was : http://sunbrightfarms.com/

We would be interested in some of what you have for trade. We would like...Autumn Olive, Hazelnuts, and ground cherry. Would you be interested in a trade?

 
Cortland Satsuma
Posts: 319
Location: (Zone 7-8/Elv. 350) Powhatan, VA (Sloped Forests & Meadow)
5
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

leila hamaya wrote:cool =)
i think its a good idea...i guess theres some people who trade here but it could have some kind of better format that might encourage more people to trade. course there are other places too...

i'm such a plant geek and i love trading seeds !
i would trade with you all, if anyone wants some of what i have.

@john, i would LOVE some hazelnuts for planting.
however i dont have anything on your most wanted list, but possibly i could find something you would enjoy. i do have huge huge boxes over flowing with seeds...so lets talk if you are willing to trade for something else

@trish blitzer, welcome =)
i would also love some flying dragon seeds. what are you looking for in return?

@anyone else, drop me a line if you might want to trade with me. =)

i have a big list, and many other things not listed of things to trade. perhaps its easiest for me if i can read your most wanted list....or whatevers clever.
i trade a lot at garden web, especially lately i've been making some great trades, so i have this list that i try to keep updated, although i should edit it soon....

http://members.gardenweb.com/members/exch/leilahamaya



Hi Leila...
You have items I would be interested in; do I have anything you want?
 
Cortland Satsuma
Posts: 319
Location: (Zone 7-8/Elv. 350) Powhatan, VA (Sloped Forests & Meadow)
5
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

John Gray wrote:

Cortland Satsuma wrote:Hi! We are in Virginia (zone 7b-8a...this winter may push down to 7a). I am very interested in exactly the same thing! I have done a few straight trades with some permies; but, would be interested in inexpensive options, too. I have about 65 paw paw seedlings in that I bought for about $3 each. (We plan on about 200 total) I can get you info if you need it. Several permies also have paw paw seeds that they could trade / sell. I plan to inventory this years seeds this next weekend; I will know what I have then. My pear, peach, and apple cultivars I have already promised the cuttings to a local Craigslist poly culturist who has a lot of different fruit tree cutting to trade. He too, is interested in a scion network; as grafting is his specialty. I also have lots of different hickories and oaks that I can trade acorns/nuts or cuttings from.



Hey! That'd be amazing any info would be greatly appreciated, and If anything I originally mentioned is something you need I'd gladly send you hazelnuts, blackwalnuts, ect I'm even making a tooth powder with blackwalnut husks that is said to get rid of cavities and repair enamel(I'll test it on myself first, see if I get black teeth). How did you plant your pawpaws??[/quote]

Some how I missed your question! We planted the seedlings in containers and sized them up after 4 months. Some we planted in our fence planter system, in their permanent location at the edge of mixed forest. The up sized ones, we plan to plant next spring along our long drive in the understory. We plan to buy more for our sun catch-u food forest and for our other drive we are putting in.

 
leila hamaya
pollinator
Posts: 1312
Location: northern northern california
137
forest garden foraging trees fiber arts building medical herbs
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Cortland Satsuma wrote:

leila hamaya wrote:cool =)
i think its a good idea...i guess theres some people who trade here but it could have some kind of better format that might encourage more people to trade. course there are other places too...

i'm such a plant geek and i love trading seeds !

@anyone else, drop me a line if you might want to trade with me. =)

i have a big list, and many other things not listed of things to trade. perhaps its easiest for me if i can read your most wanted list....or whatevers clever.
i trade a lot at garden web, especially lately i've been making some great trades, so i have this list that i try to keep updated, although i should edit it soon....

http://members.gardenweb.com/members/exch/leilahamaya



Hi Leila...
You have items I would be interested in; do I have anything you want?



in total scatterbrain style, i totally missed this.
i sent you a PM though, this morning.

will see if i find where you list things here....
 
Cortland Satsuma
Posts: 319
Location: (Zone 7-8/Elv. 350) Powhatan, VA (Sloped Forests & Meadow)
5
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hi Leila,

Here is a partial list for you (and others):

Very Cold Hardy Fig Seeds, Winged Sumac, Rudbeckia, Cosmos (mainly purple and white), Black Walnut, Yarrow, Siberian Iris, Sedum (Very tall, big leaves, large pink/purple flower cluster heads), Echinacea, Loblolly Pine cones/nuts, White or Pink Flowering Dogwood Tree, Native Blackberry, Butternut squash, Japanese Pumpkin, etc.

I Have a FEW Native Persimmon Seeds (darn squirrels cleaned us out, lol) that I will trade for more uncommon fruiting trees / shrubs seeds


Dried Herb Tea Baggies: Mallow Flower, Mint Flower Tea, Lemon Balm Leaf & Flower Tea, Mint Leaf Tea, Spearmint, Red Clover, Ox eyed Daisy flower, Yarrow Flower, Yarrow Leaf, Marigold Petal, Lady's thumb leaf, Blackberry Leaf, Wine Berry Leaf, Viola Flower, Black Walnut Leaf, Peach Leaf, Golden Rod Flower, Powdered Mint, Lemon Balm Powder, etc (we sell these at $4 each, will trade for equal value in seeds.)

I have more to trade; just need to get my lists together. I also do cuttings and scion wood at pruning times; anyone, please pm me with your list of what you have...swapping have lists work better than want...I find people have awesome things to trade that I had yet to consider!
 
Posts: 6
Location: Zone 5: Woodstock, Illinois
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Cortland Satsuma wrote:Hi Leila,

Here is a partial list for you (and others):

Very Cold Hardy Fig Seeds, Winged Sumac, Rudbeckia, Cosmos (mainly purple and white), Black Walnut, Yarrow, Siberian Iris, Sedum (Very tall, big leaves, large pink/purple flower cluster heads), Echinacea, Loblolly Pine cones/nuts, White or Pink Flowering Dogwood Tree, Native Blackberry, Butternut squash, Japanese Pumpkin, etc.

I Have a FEW Native Persimmon Seeds (darn squirrels cleaned us out, lol) that I will trade for more uncommon fruiting trees / shrubs seeds


Dried Herb Tea Baggies: Mallow Flower, Mint Flower Tea, Lemon Balm Leaf & Flower Tea, Mint Leaf Tea, Spearmint, Red Clover, Ox eyed Daisy flower, Yarrow Flower, Yarrow Leaf, Marigold Petal, Lady's thumb leaf, Blackberry Leaf, Wine Berry Leaf, Viola Flower, Black Walnut Leaf, Peach Leaf, Golden Rod Flower, Powdered Mint, Lemon Balm Powder, etc (we sell these at $4 each, will trade for equal value in seeds.)

I have more to trade; just need to get my lists together. I also do cuttings and scion wood at pruning times; anyone, please pm me with your list of what you have...swapping have lists work better than want...I find people have awesome things to trade that I had yet to consider!



Would the figs survive in Zone 5?
 
Cortland Satsuma
Posts: 319
Location: (Zone 7-8/Elv. 350) Powhatan, VA (Sloped Forests & Meadow)
5
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
@ Josh

Excellent Question! The unknown variety I have gathered seeds and cuttings from is substantially more cold hardy than the local (zone 7) Brown Turkey and Celeste. I have read first hand reports of variants from the Chicago Hardy thriving in areas as cold as upstate New York. Most received winter protection. My guess is these seeds are from a sub variant of the Chicago Hardy; and, as such, could be grown in zone 5. To be safe, I would wrap them with insulation (or a similar eco material) after first frost. The cuttings I rooted, I have left unprotected after starting them late fall (after first frost). They have budded out and are still showing some growth signs through our winter. However, despite predictions of a very cold and long 2013-14 winter, our coldest temp has been 20 degrees. Current Forecasts through the end of Feb., show only low twenties. I plan to not protect these figs each year, further encouraging their cold tolerance down to zone 6. It would be interesting to see if you can get them down to zone 5, non-protected. Let me know if you are interested in a swap, send a pm.
 
Posts: 13
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
@MichaelCox, thanks for the videos. Wealth of ideas.
 
It's just a flesh wound! Or a tiny ad:
holiday shopping for 2019
https://permies.com/t/128446/holiday-shopping
  • Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
Boost this thread!