• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic

In Desperate Need of Podcast Summary Writers!  RSS feed

 
Cassie Langstraat
steward
Posts: 3933
Location: Zone 9b
306
bee books food preservation fungi
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
So I currently have about 3 regular podcast summary writers. HOWEVER, paul is wanting to start releasing the old podcasts at a quicker pace so I really need some more people who would be willing to help out with these.

If I have 20 people volunteer, then you would only have to do one every so often, but if I only have three people, they end up doing a lot of work and it doesn't come very quickly due to their very busy schedules. SO I am really hoping I can get some more people on board.

The other thing I need is someone or a few people to be my designated "link people". Most of the people I have doing summaries right now are not familiar with how to use basic html embedded links, the ones that look like this:

<a href="http://www.permies.com/forums/" target="_blank">permies.com</a>

This is what I have to use to put the summaries up onto richsoil platform so I reallllly need someone to be able to take a written summary and go through it and add these embedded links to at least 5 different permies threads throughout the summary.

If this is still confusing, I could maybe have a phone chat with you to further explain it. But anyway, if you don't feel like you have time to do entire summaries, you could just be a link person. That would help soo much!

If anyone is still interested, PM me or reply to this thread. OR email me at cassie AT richsoil dot com.
 
Landon Sunrich
pollinator
Posts: 1703
Location: Western Washington
21
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I could write a summary or two. No problem.

Edit: provided someone will hold my hand through the basic html thing. I learn quick though.
 
Crystal Smith
Posts: 12
Location: Muskegon, MI
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I could totally write some podcast summaries! I'm currently an across the country truck driver with my husband. Meaning, I have plenty of time to listen and relisten and relisten to a given podcast. I could probably do one a week at the most since I have to drive 11 hours a day and sleep for 8, that gives me 5 hours of "play time" a day which is usually spent cathing up on lost sleep, on deliveries or just dinking around on my phone. I have always enjoyed writing and would love to help in any way I can from a distance.

As far as html goes...I know nothing. If it's even possible maybe an example page where I'd just have to change the filling of the code would help. If that even makes sense, and once again if it's even possible. If not than I can read on it myself...or find some podcasts about it to listen to while I'm driving and give it a try.

I hope I can help you out! My email is crystaljadesmith@gmail.com
 
Cassie Langstraat
steward
Posts: 3933
Location: Zone 9b
306
bee books food preservation fungi
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Awesome! Crystal I will email you asap and Landon I will PM you to get your details! Thanks you two!
 
Crystal Smith
Posts: 12
Location: Muskegon, MI
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Oh I also would like to add that I've already listened to most if not all of them and wait on the edge for new ones to be posted so I have an idea of what I'm getting into lol
 
O. Eaton
Posts: 6
Location: Washington
1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I will be a link person Cassie. Just let me know what you need and where you need it.
 
Cassie Langstraat
steward
Posts: 3933
Location: Zone 9b
306
bee books food preservation fungi
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Yay we have two link people now!
 
Rick Howd
Posts: 129
Location: McMinnville Oregon
6
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Links? We don't need no stinking links! Ok, so maybe we need them more than badges; I do html, and some marketing stuff, but would prefer direction as to what Paul wants or you're going to get into my world domination Ideas... not his.
 
Cassie Langstraat
steward
Posts: 3933
Location: Zone 9b
306
bee books food preservation fungi
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Rick, have you read some of the summaries for the most recent podcasts? I have linked the two most recent ones below. That is what Paul wants the summaries to look like.. Does that answer your questions?

Podcast 303
Podcast 302
 
Rick Howd
Posts: 129
Location: McMinnville Oregon
6
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Wow, those summaries are awesome, I usually just download the podcasts automatically and haven't checked out the summaries, I've been missing out! Lot's of great info in there. I can see where the links would help a lot.

I'm definitely more of a "link geek", I would take me a week to summarize well enough to be comfortable sharing it with others. Link-wise I got it, keep it in the forums except for logical external links.

Me.
 
D. Logan
gardener
Posts: 587
Location: Soutwest Ohio
100
books food preservation forest garden rabbit tiny house
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I can probably help here and there around my other writing schedule. I am here in waves through the week (as is probably clear from my sporadic posting and responses), but I do read here daily and can probably do some as long as I'm not expected to do the summary the very moment I am pointed towards the podcast. I wouldn't need any real hand-holding about embedding the HTML linking code either. I could just do it all in one fell swoop instead of doing a summary and then handing it off for someone else to worry about.
 
Daniel Kern
Posts: 197
14
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
How long is a podcast summary?
 
Cassie Langstraat
steward
Posts: 3933
Location: Zone 9b
306
bee books food preservation fungi
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Rick Howd wrote:Wow, those summaries are awesome, I usually just download the podcasts automatically and haven't checked out the summaries, I've been missing out! Lot's of great info in there. I can see where the links would help a lot.

I'm definitely more of a "link geek", I would take me a week to summarize well enough to be comfortable sharing it with others. Link-wise I got it, keep it in the forums except for logical external links.

Me.


Well rick PM me and we can figure something out where you could do link stuff if that's what you'd be comfortable with!
 
Cassie Langstraat
steward
Posts: 3933
Location: Zone 9b
306
bee books food preservation fungi
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
D. Logan wrote:I can probably help here and there around my other writing schedule. I am here in waves through the week (as is probably clear from my sporadic posting and responses), but I do read here daily and can probably do some as long as I'm not expected to do the summary the very moment I am pointed towards the podcast. I wouldn't need any real hand-holding about embedding the HTML linking code either. I could just do it all in one fell swoop instead of doing a summary and then handing it off for someone else to worry about.


That would be lovely! I will PM you. Thanks.
 
Cassie Langstraat
steward
Posts: 3933
Location: Zone 9b
306
bee books food preservation fungi
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Daniel Kern wrote:How long is a podcast summary?


It depends on how long the podcast is, and how much you want to write. But ideally it is at least 4-5 paragraphs.
 
Vida Norris
Posts: 114
Location: Ontario Canada, Zone 5b
9
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hi Cassie!

I'd love to help out with writing. I can also figure out the html stuff as well, or work with the links people to combine the efforts.



 
Cassie Langstraat
steward
Posts: 3933
Location: Zone 9b
306
bee books food preservation fungi
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
That's SO great to hear! I will PM you with details.
 
Cassie Langstraat
steward
Posts: 3933
Location: Zone 9b
306
bee books food preservation fungi
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
We are back on the getting old podcasts up and spiffy train!

Who wants to really really help me out?

My strategy this time is just not to do them in sequential order, just assign a bunch to each person, and ask them to get them done as soon as possible.

 
Vida Norris
Posts: 114
Location: Ontario Canada, Zone 5b
9
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Cassie Langstraat wrote:We are back on the getting old podcasts up and spiffy train!

Who wants to really really help me out?

My strategy this time is just not to do them in sequential order, just assign a bunch to each person, and ask them to get them done as soon as possible.



Send em' over Cassie - I want on the train!
 
Cassie Langstraat
steward
Posts: 3933
Location: Zone 9b
306
bee books food preservation fungi
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Okay also, if you are not into the whole writing summary thing, I need some people to just create a thread for some of the old podcasts. There are a bunch of old podcasts that are up over at http://www.richsoil.com/permaculture/ but they don't have their own thread at permies.com.. They need their own thread! So, they have to be in a certain format. For example, they have to look like this one.

So, all you would have to do is copy and paste the template I give you (ill send it in an email) into a new post in the podcast forum. Then you can just copy and paste the richsoil link, the download link, and the summary into that template. Also, if you want to, you can find a few relevant threads to add to that section as well.

To find the richsoil link for each podcast, just click here and enter the podcast number in the search bar and hit enter.

To find the download link for each podcast, just click "download" when you are on the richsoil page for the podcast you want, and then copy the URL in the top of your browser.

Anyone up for this?

As of now, I need this done for these podcasts:

81
82
83
85
86
87
88
91
92
94
95
96
97
98
99
100
102
105.

Who's up to it?
 
Lee Daniels
Posts: 63
Location: Eastern WA -- 5b-6a
3
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Cassie Langstraat wrote:
Daniel Kern wrote:How long is a podcast summary?


It depends on how long the podcast is, and how much you want to write. But ideally it is at least 4-5 paragraphs.


Is there any interest in short and sweet descriptions? Like the daily email. Just the highlights... like a movie trailer. I have listened to about 40 podcast and only read a few of the summaries. The few I have read are very detailed, as in why listen to the podcast detailed. So I quit reading them. I didn't listen very well because I knew the out come. Lost its entertainment value lol

One sentence for each different main topic discussed.

Just a thought, it may lighten the load.

- L. Daniels
 
Cassie Langstraat
steward
Posts: 3933
Location: Zone 9b
306
bee books food preservation fungi
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I think the main function of the summaries is for people who don't want to/don't have time to/are physically unable to listen to the podcasts. But I may be wrong.
 
Heather A. Downs
Posts: 17
5
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Let me know when you need help. I'm html friendly.

Cassie Langstraat wrote:I think the main function of the summaries is for people who don't want to/don't have time to/are physically unable to listen to the podcasts. But I may be wrong.


The written content is valuable for google and other bots to pick up the keywords and direct readers to the page/ site through organic internet searches.
 
Cassie Langstraat
steward
Posts: 3933
Location: Zone 9b
306
bee books food preservation fungi
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Heather A. Downs wrote:Let me know when you need help. I'm html friendly.


The written content is valuable for google and other bots to pick up the keywords and direct readers to the page/ site through organic internet searches.


Great Heather! Can you send me an email at cassie at richsoil dot com so I can have your most-used email address and we can get started.
 
Rus Williams
pollinator
Posts: 152
Location: Zutphen, The Netherlands
22
books forest garden
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I could write some podcast summaries. Drop me a line if this is still what you want.
 
Cassie Langstraat
steward
Posts: 3933
Location: Zone 9b
306
bee books food preservation fungi
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Rus Williams wrote:I could write some podcast summaries. Drop me a line if this is still what you want.


Awesome! Can you send me an email at cassie at richsoil dot com so I can have your most-used email address and we can get you set up.
 
Cassie Langstraat
steward
Posts: 3933
Location: Zone 9b
306
bee books food preservation fungi
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
okayyyyyy, we are at it againnnnn.

who wants to write summaries of old podcasts for me?!
 
Cassie Langstraat
steward
Posts: 3933
Location: Zone 9b
306
bee books food preservation fungi
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Heather A. Downs wrote:Let me know when you need help. I'm html friendly.


Hi Heather,

Did I ever ask you to send me an email at cassie AT richsoil DOT com?

I tried to search your name in my inbox but nothing came up. I'd love to have your help with these!
 
Wade Glass
Posts: 24
5
bike food preservation
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hi Cassie,
Can we be assigned podcasts? (less wasted work)
Expected turn around time on completion per podcast?
Thanks
 
Brian Walker
Posts: 4
Location: Brooklyn, NY (school); Smyrna, NY (home)
2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hello Cassie,

I would be delighted to help write summaries! I concur with Wade, assigning us specific podcasts, respectively, would seem the most efficient way to coordinate everyone's efforts.

Twice a week I have an 8-hour bus & train ride to and from grad school and usually occupy myself with Paul's podcasts as a means of educating myself about permaculture and maintaining general sanity during the commute. I usually take notes anyhow, and can certainly type up summaries as I complete podcasts during this time. I imagine I could consistently produce between eight to twelve summaries each week. I await assignments.

Thank you,
Brian
 
Juan Sebastian Estrada
Posts: 95
Location: Medellin, Colombia
12
bike forest garden trees
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I could help writing a few summaries. This comes at a good time for me since I have listened to about the last 100 podcasts and I'm starting to sort through the older ones to see what captures my attention most. This way you can just tell me which ones to summarize. I normally listen to them while driving to and from work so I can't really write the summary as I drive, but I imagine it will go quicker the second time as I'm writing.
 
Cassie Langstraat
steward
Posts: 3933
Location: Zone 9b
306
bee books food preservation fungi
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Wade Glass wrote:Hi Cassie,
Can we be assigned podcasts? (less wasted work)
Expected turn around time on completion per podcast?
Thanks


Of course! I think I'm going to give anyone who is up for this about 5 podcasts and then you can do them at your own pace, but if I don't hear from you for like three weeks, i'll probably pester ya.

I'll email you with some links so you can get started. thank you so much wade!
 
Cassie Langstraat
steward
Posts: 3933
Location: Zone 9b
306
bee books food preservation fungi
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Brian Walker wrote:Hello Cassie,

I would be delighted to help write summaries! I concur with Wade, assigning us specific podcasts, respectively, would seem the most efficient way to coordinate everyone's efforts.

Twice a week I have an 8-hour bus & train ride to and from grad school and usually occupy myself with Paul's podcasts as a means of educating myself about permaculture and maintaining general sanity during the commute. I usually take notes anyhow, and can certainly type up summaries as I complete podcasts during this time. I imagine I could consistently produce between eight to twelve summaries each week. I await assignments.

Thank you,
Brian


I sent you an email as well Brian! Amazing!
 
Cassie Langstraat
steward
Posts: 3933
Location: Zone 9b
306
bee books food preservation fungi
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Juan Sebastian Estrada wrote:I could help writing a few summaries. This comes at a good time for me since I have listened to about the last 100 podcasts and I'm starting to sort through the older ones to see what captures my attention most. This way you can just tell me which ones to summarize. I normally listen to them while driving to and from work so I can't really write the summary as I drive, but I imagine it will go quicker the second time as I'm writing.


Great Juan! Would you send me an email at cassie AT richsoil DOT com and we can get something set up!

 
A day job? In an office? My worst nightmare! Comfort me tiny ad!
Thread Boost feature
https://permies.com/wiki/61482/Thread-Boost-feature
  • Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
Boost this thread!