• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic

Herbal Diabetic Medicine  RSS feed

 
Deb Rebel
garden master
Posts: 1802
Location: Zone 6b
187
books cat fish food preservation greening the desert solar trees urban woodworking
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Richard Force wrote:Okay so I'm highly interested in finding a way to get the seeds of both Gymnema sylvestre and Chamaecostus cuspidatus they are both suppose to be really great in helping with diabetes and specifically lowering blood sugar.

My issue is I can find all the dried plant parts that are usable but nothing on getting the seeds.



I got feelers out on the Gymnema Sylvestre seeds, should get some returns this coming week. I will hunt Chamaecostus Cuspidatus as well. Gymnema is a very tropical plant, you may have to start it indoors and take it outside for just the summer, be warned. The issue is I can get them by the kg (in like 1000kg units) but I can't afford that plus importing them. I'm hoping to score maybe an ounce or so through other sources.

I know you're a type I, I'm a barely reformed type II, and this entire thread has been most informative and interesting. I think it would behoove me to get some of this plant, so. I'll keep everyone posted. If I can get more than a few dozen seeds (like a few ounces) I'll be willing to share. We'll get it.
 
Deb Rebel
garden master
Posts: 1802
Location: Zone 6b
187
books cat fish food preservation greening the desert solar trees urban woodworking
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
http://www.gingersrus.com/cart/index.php?productID=393 Chamaecostus Cuspidatus.... $19.95 plus ship. Currently out of stock, but. Contact the company @  Dave Skinner, 1411 Lucy Street, Tallahassee, FL 32308   He notes he can't sell to Arizona or California due to Phytosanitary restrictions.

This one is a rare ginger, so it will probably come off collectors and collector-propagators like Dave.
 
Richard Force
Posts: 52
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Deb Rebel I'm glad this thread has been helpful to you.

One person pm me on here and said hemp may help to so idk to me it's worth a shot.

I'm glad you could find the seeds I had no such luck at all.

 
Deb Rebel
garden master
Posts: 1802
Location: Zone 6b
187
books cat fish food preservation greening the desert solar trees urban woodworking
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Richard Force wrote:Deb Rebel I'm glad this thread has been helpful to you.

One person pm me on here and said hemp may help to so idk to me it's worth a shot.

I'm glad you could find the seeds I had no such luck at all.



I am still trying to obtain the seeds of Gymnema sylvestre in reasonable and affordable quantities. Finding out I can buy a ton and have them shipped and do customs/importing isn't exactly finding seed... like I said I should get some answers back in the coming week on that front.
 
Richard Force
Posts: 52
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Deb Rebel wrote:

I am still trying to obtain the seeds of Gymnema sylvestre in reasonable and affordable quantities. Finding out I can buy a ton and have them shipped and do customs/importing isn't exactly finding seed... like I said I should get some answers back in the coming week on that front.


Who are you talking to about the seeds?
 
Deb Rebel
garden master
Posts: 1802
Location: Zone 6b
187
books cat fish food preservation greening the desert solar trees urban woodworking
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Richard Force wrote:
Deb Rebel wrote:

I am still trying to obtain the seeds of Gymnema sylvestre in reasonable and affordable quantities. Finding out I can buy a ton and have them shipped and do customs/importing isn't exactly finding seed... like I said I should get some answers back in the coming week on that front.


Who are you talking to about the seeds?


Friends I have at conservatories and arboretums. I told them either plants or seeds. Some of those places will only sell/trade to other organizations like themselves, sometimes I can score something outside that normal constraint. Most of my friends should be back in the office Monday so I expect to hear this coming week from them.

For the present, I do suggest you get some dried herb stock and give it a try, as it will take you time to propagate some no matter how it is sourced (plant or seed) and see if it will work, then get ready to propagate your own. I did this with stevia, purchasing an organic no filler extract powder, and growing more after I tried it. I still use both, the stuff I grow and the prepared powder.

Another permie was looking for Ficus Sycomorus and it took me six hard weeks to find one (off a collector finally, I got two) and I'm in the middle of finally trying to make more after almost two years. I use this as an example that sometimes it can be difficult to find something but if you want it bad enough you can find. As I mentioned, the type of ginger you want is also a rare one and I tracked a person who collects and sells rarer (to us in continental US) types. Reach out to the fellow I mentioned, and if he has some you can probably get onto his list when he gets more propagated to get a few plants.
 
Richard Force
Posts: 52
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Deb Rebel wrote:
Richard Force wrote:
Deb Rebel wrote:

I am still trying to obtain the seeds of Gymnema sylvestre in reasonable and affordable quantities. Finding out I can buy a ton and have them shipped and do customs/importing isn't exactly finding seed... like I said I should get some answers back in the coming week on that front.


Who are you talking to about the seeds?


Friends I have at conservatories and arboretums. I told them either plants or seeds. Some of those places will only sell/trade to other organizations like themselves, sometimes I can score something outside that normal constraint. Most of my friends should be back in the office Monday so I expect to hear this coming week from them.

For the present, I do suggest you get some dried herb stock and give it a try, as it will take you time to propagate some no matter how it is sourced (plant or seed) and see if it will work, then get ready to propagate your own. I did this with stevia, purchasing an organic no filler extract powder, and growing more after I tried it. I still use both, the stuff I grow and the prepared powder.

Another permie was looking for Ficus Sycomorus and it took me six hard weeks to find one (off a collector finally, I got two) and I'm in the middle of finally trying to make more after almost two years. I use this as an example that sometimes it can be difficult to find something but if you want it bad enough you can find. As I mentioned, the type of ginger you want is also a rare one and I tracked a person who collects and sells rarer (to us in continental US) types. Reach out to the fellow I mentioned, and if he has some you can probably get onto his list when he gets more propagated to get a few plants.


Thanks Deb you're awesome by the way for offering to help. I have some of the Gymnema sylvestre ordered to give it a try and see what happens.

I'll admit I'm jealous I don't have these kind of connections lol.
 
Deb Rebel
garden master
Posts: 1802
Location: Zone 6b
187
books cat fish food preservation greening the desert solar trees urban woodworking
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Richard Force wrote:

Thanks Deb you're awesome by the way for offering to help. I have some of the Gymnema sylvestre ordered to give it a try and see what happens.

I'll admit I'm jealous I don't have these kind of connections lol.


I guard those carefully. (my connections). I hope you can find something that will work and help you to be healthier. In the meantime, the quest for the fabled GS is on!
 
Richard Force
Posts: 52
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Deb Rebel wrote:http://www.gingersrus.com/cart/index.php?productID=393 Chamaecostus Cuspidatus.... $19.95 plus ship. Currently out of stock, but. Contact the company @  Dave Skinner, 1411 Lucy Street, Tallahassee, FL 32308   He notes he can't sell to Arizona or California due to Phytosanitary restrictions.

This one is a rare ginger, so it will probably come off collectors and collector-propagators like Dave.


Okay so do I need to email them or actually send a written request because other than that I have no idea as to how to get a request in.
 
Deb Rebel
garden master
Posts: 1802
Location: Zone 6b
187
books cat fish food preservation greening the desert solar trees urban woodworking
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Richard Force wrote:
Deb Rebel wrote:http://www.gingersrus.com/cart/index.php?productID=393 Chamaecostus Cuspidatus.... $19.95 plus ship. Currently out of stock, but. Contact the company @  Dave Skinner, 1411 Lucy Street, Tallahassee, FL 32308   He notes he can't sell to Arizona or California due to Phytosanitary restrictions.

This one is a rare ginger, so it will probably come off collectors and collector-propagators like Dave.


Okay so do I need to email them or actually send a written request because other than that I have no idea as to how to get a request in.


Dave-you need to write him a real letter. Tell him what you want. I posted the website link directly to the particular variety of ginger.
 
Thekla McDaniels
gardener
Posts: 1832
Location: Grand Valley of Colorado's Western Slope
91
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Richard, when I wanted pomegranate seeds from cold areas, people on permies volunteered, and I ended up with seeds.

If googling Gymnema seeds and or plants doesn't yield a vendor, (I looked and found none, but did not go down to the third or fourth or 23 google page) then you could try learning as much as you can about the plant's growing requirements, if you are able to provide those, I think the next step might be to figure out where it grows, and then start looking for friendly helpful people in those regions of the world.

It's a tropical plant I think, and as with lemon verbena, it might not have viable seeds, might only reproduce through vegetative means.

In the USA there are standards for bringing plant material into the country, never mind that tons of viable plant material arrives in the USA from other parts of the world every day (imported fruits and vegetables).  You may be up against a difficult and quasi illegal process, trying to bring your plant material in to the USA.  On the other hand, when I wanted vetiver plants, I was able to find a vendor licensed to ship the plants into the USA from Puerto Rico.  They came in a simple flat rate shipping box.  Maybe you'll get lucky on this!

Another thought:  The people at Horizon Herbs, recent name change to something like Strictly Medicinals or Simply Medicinals have lots of unusual herb seeds and plants, and may have experience bringing plants in.  The vendors of the dried herb I mentioned above "Star West" and "Mountain Rose" probably know where their plants come from, and might be of help to you in this project, but that route might take a long time.

Again good luck.
 
Anne Miller
pollinator
Posts: 790
Location: USDA Zone 8a
55
bee dog food preservation greening the desert hunting toxin-ectomy
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Richard, I have several herbal books ... "Presription for Herbal Healing" by Phyllis A. Balch has a listing of herbs for either Type 1 or Type 2 Diabetis p. 255 in my book.  This book was highly recommended by an herbalist and maybe in your local library.  It gives the herb, amount to take and resulting effects.  If you cannot find the book and would like me to give you the list I will be glad to help.
 
Philippe Wyss
Posts: 4
Location: Switzerland
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hi Richard,

as you have not updated for some time, I just wanted to ask, if you found out something helpful for you?

If not, I would recommend you to check out Dr. Gabriel Cousins work, who has to my knowledge some very good results also with Type 1 diabetes!

https://treeoflifecenterus.com/the-medicine-for-healing-diabetes/

All the best,

Philippe
 
Richard Force
Posts: 52
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Yea sorry I haven't posted in awhile.
No I haven't found nything as of yet. I'll give the link a shot.
 
Brian Murphy
Posts: 10
Location: Dublin, Ireland
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
hi Richard - any joy with the herbs?
saw this today and thought you might find it interesting : https://www.theguardian.com/science/2016/dec/08/new-diabetes-treatment-could-eliminate-need-for-insulin-injections
here's hoping!
 
Joseph Lofthouse
garden master
Posts: 2618
Location: Cache Valley, zone 4b, Irrigated, 9" rain in badlands.
507
bee chicken food preservation fungi greening the desert
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Thekla McDaniels wrote:I was able to find a vendor licensed to ship the plants into the USA from Puerto Rico.  They came in a simple flat rate shipping box. 


Puerto Rico is part of the usa...

In our search for exotic seeds, it might serve us well to remember to look in other places that are part of the united states, and thus exempt from import/export restrictions. Examples include: American Samoa, US Virgin Islands, Guam, Northern Mariana Islands, Puerto Rico, and minor outlying islands. 
 
Angelika Maier
pollinator
Posts: 1014
Location: cool climate, Blue Mountains, Australia
8
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Apparently yacon leaves are anti-diabetic. But I am by no means a doctor!!!
 
Gail Gardner
Posts: 121
Location: SE Oklahoma
2
duck forest garden hugelkultur
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Deb Rebel wrote:I have had blood sugar regulatory issues for about 30 years and was type II for four (recently 'reversed' or as I say 'much better managed'). Restricting carbs, and I take Ceylon cinnamon as two things to help control my blood sugar. The Ceylon cinnamon is rather mild in taste, low in cucurmin, and I add it to any higher carb food I'm about to eat. 6 grams is the recommended daily dosage which is just under 1 1/4 teaspoon. I had to address an 'insulin resistance' and those were the two steps I took to help lower my overall blood sugar levels and I have returned 5.1 on the A1c in the past three months. There is a lot more too it but that is the major two things related to blood sugar and diabetes that I do as part of my daily diet.


Have you tried taking chromium? (Just plain chromium - not chromium picolinate used in diet pills).
 
Just put the cards in their christmas stocking and PRESTO! They get it now! It's like you're the harry potter of permaculture. richsoil.com/cards
  • Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
Boost this thread!