This is a badge bit (BB) that is part of the PEP curriculum. Completing this BB is part of getting the sand badge in Nest.
In this Badge Bit, you will oil at least 6 wooden kitchen utensils. (Note that this BB is part of an 8-part choose your own adventure list BB called the Jeeves List. You must complete eight Badge Bits in the Jeeves List.)
To complete this BB, the minimum requirements are:
- you must oil at least 6 wooden utensils, cutting boards, bowls, etc
- walnut oil is best
- if allergic to nuts, (edible) linseed and olive oil also work
To show you've completed this Badge Bit, you must provide:
- a before picture of the wooden kitchen utensils
- an action shot of you oiling one of the kitchen utensils
- an after picture of all the wooden kitchen utensils you oiled
- listing the type of oil you used
- OR a 2-minute video of you doing this
It was time to oil our wooden spoon, so I grabbed some pictures while doing it. As you can see, some of these spoons did not get regular oiling for quite some time, and have cracked. Hopefully regularly oiling can keep them alive for a while before they break.
The action shot was hard to get with the phone camera, and shows a rather large amount of coconut oil. I used less on other spoons.
Oh, I also forgot to add: I used coconut oil. It wasn't mentioned in the text of this BB, but was referenced in the videos as a suitable wood oil. This is what we've always used for spoons, knife handles, cutting boards, and such as my partner has had allergic reactions to tree nuts in the past, and coconut isn't a true tree nut.