This is a badge bit (BB) that is part of the PEP curriculum. Completing this BB is part of getting the sand badge in Electricity.
In this Badge Bit, you will install a DC solar system. (Note that this BB is part of the choose your own adventure Big List. You must complete one Badge Bit in the Big List.)
Solar systems can be huge (insert Milky Way joke here). But they don't have to be. Let's harness the power of the sun to build a small DC solar system with battery storage.
Here are a few videos:
To complete this BB, the minimum requirements are:
o choose one of the following systems to build:
- small solar music cart and phone charging station
o includes 12v bluetooth speakers hard wired
- small DC system on a shed: lights and phone charging
- tiny home power system: lights, phone charging, outlets
- RV or camping power system: lights and phone charging
o must have at least one 12v outlet
o must have at least one 5v phone charging outlet
o must include a charge controller
o must include a battery
- must be able to put out 100 watts for 8 hours.
To show you've completed this Badge Bit, you must provide:
- Description of the system, power and capacity. Explain how it will put out 100W for 8 hours
- Photo of the area where the system will be installed
- Photo of the parts before you install/assemble them
- Photo of the completed installation
- Photo of a phone charging
- OR substitute a short video for the last two photos
If you have an alternative solar installation that you'd like to do of a similar complexity, post below and ask if it could be added as an option.
What are you doing? You are supposed to be reading this tiny ad!
permaculture bootcamp - learn permaculture through a little hard work