• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
permaculture forums growies critters building homesteading energy monies kitchen purity ungarbage community wilderness fiber arts art permaculture artisans regional education skip experiences global resources cider press projects digital market permies.com pie forums private forums all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
master stewards:
  • Carla Burke
  • John F Dean
  • Nancy Reading
  • Anne Miller
  • r ranson
  • Jay Angler
stewards:
  • Pearl Sutton
  • paul wheaton
  • Leigh Tate
master gardeners:
  • Timothy Norton
  • Christopher Weeks
gardeners:
  • Tina Wolf
  • Jeremy VanGelder
  • thomas rubino
COMMENTS:
 
author and steward
Posts: 48412
Location: missoula, montana (zone 4)
hugelkultur trees chicken wofati bee woodworking
  • Likes 6
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I think we might be adding an issue of acres usa!
 
Posts: 253
Location: Iqaluit, Nunavut zone 0 / Mont Sainte-Marie, QC zone 4a
51
2
  • Likes 2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Problem is in will probably miss out on early bird goodies because I leave Nunavut this coming sept 13 and then am back off grid which means no cellular signal, replacing my phone with a shovel

Then I dont get my email so often and also thibgs get buried fast in the data hell pit

I would pre- pay if I could

<little whine emo>
 
paul wheaton
author and steward
Posts: 48412
Location: missoula, montana (zone 4)
hugelkultur trees chicken wofati bee woodworking
  • Likes 2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Ra Kenworth wrote:Problem is in will probably miss out on early bird goodies because I leave Nunavut this coming sept 13 and then am back off grid which means no cellular signal, replacing my phone with a shovel

Then I dont get my email so often and also thibgs get buried fast in the data hell pit

I would pre- pay if I could

<little whine emo>



If you cannot back during the kickstarter, then I guess you can buy this stuff one at a time - the regular way.
 
paul wheaton
author and steward
Posts: 48412
Location: missoula, montana (zone 4)
hugelkultur trees chicken wofati bee woodworking
  • Likes 8
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
The reason we put so much effort into setting up the earlybird stuff:

The top metric kickstarter uses to determine which projects get plastered all over their site is "popularity" which is measured by the number of backers. And if we can get 1000 backers in the first 3 hours, then the kickstarter algorithm treats that a bit like 8000 backers in the first 24 hours - so we get bumped to the top!


 
Ra Kenworth
Posts: 253
Location: Iqaluit, Nunavut zone 0 / Mont Sainte-Marie, QC zone 4a
51
2
  • Likes 9
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

paul wheaton wrote:The top metric kickstarter uses to determine which projects get plastered all over their site is "popularity" which is measured by the number of backers. And if we can get 1000 backers in the first 3 hours, then the kickstarter algorithm treats that a bit like 8000 backers in the first 24 hours - so we get bumped to the top!



That explains a lot! And thank you for taking the time to explain.

You have given me a good reason to drive to the top of the mountain daily for a signal, in order to join fellow permies for the 1st 24h backing.

I too want it plastered all over their site:  Permies RULE!
 
Posts: 11
1
3
  • Likes 9
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

paul wheaton wrote:The reason we put so much effort into setting up the earlybird stuff:

The top metric kickstarter uses to determine which projects get plastered all over their site is "popularity" which is measured by the number of backers. And if we can get 1000 backers in the first 3 hours, then the kickstarter algorithm treats that a bit like 8000 backers in the first 24 hours - so we get bumped to the top!




Paul,
You should put this info in the daily email or some other such communication. To be honest, I don't plan on buying the movie because I have 1000 kids and don't want to break out the time to watch it with the other things I need to get done... (i still need to finish the master gardening course!). I also didn't plan on supporting at $1, because i was not sure which of the rewards I already had. I have admittedly skipped supporting some of the other kickstarters because of the time/ repeat content concern. But on the other hand, I love the permies website and am totally willing to toss in a dollar to make your Kickstarter have more momentum.

So now I have clicked the notify button, and I will try to pledge as soon as I see it. Perhaps there are others like me who would be willing to do the same, no matter the 1$ reward list.

Best,
Noah

 
Ra Kenworth
Posts: 253
Location: Iqaluit, Nunavut zone 0 / Mont Sainte-Marie, QC zone 4a
51
2
  • Likes 2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Noah Duke wrote:

I have 1000 kids

Perhaps there are others like me who would be willing to do the same, no matter the 1$ reward list.

Best,
Noah



Good for you Noah
What a great idea to pledge $1 anyway!

PS
I had over 500 kids at one point ...
Do your happen to teach gym or music?
 
paul wheaton
author and steward
Posts: 48412
Location: missoula, montana (zone 4)
hugelkultur trees chicken wofati bee woodworking
  • Likes 4
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Noah Duke wrote:

paul wheaton wrote:The reason we put so much effort into setting up the earlybird stuff:

The top metric kickstarter uses to determine which projects get plastered all over their site is "popularity" which is measured by the number of backers. And if we can get 1000 backers in the first 3 hours, then the kickstarter algorithm treats that a bit like 8000 backers in the first 24 hours - so we get bumped to the top!




Paul,
You should put this info in the daily email or some other such communication. To be honest, I don't plan on buying the movie because I have 1000 kids and don't want to break out the time to watch it with the other things I need to get done... (i still need to finish the master gardening course!). I also didn't plan on supporting at $1, because i was not sure which of the rewards I already had. I have admittedly skipped supporting some of the other kickstarters because of the time/ repeat content concern. But on the other hand, I love the permies website and am totally willing to toss in a dollar to make your Kickstarter have more momentum.

So now I have clicked the notify button, and I will try to pledge as soon as I see it. Perhaps there are others like me who would be willing to do the same, no matter the 1$ reward list.



We have learned that it is wise to make it so that ALL earlybird stuff has to be the first time we have ever offered it as an earlybird thing.  So I think if you look over the list carefully, you will see that you currently don't have any of that stuff - at least not as an earlybird thing.

It is funny that you say that I should mention this in the dailyish.  Cuz that wording is shamelessly copied and pasted from a draft for a monthlyish i have been polishing for a while.  I will probably send the monthlyish later today.  Here is what my draft looks like so far:

The reason for freaky effort to the kickstarter earlybird stuff



Are there millions of people visiting the kickstarter website each day?  We have a way to thrust permaculture and low tech in front of them, just for a moment.

The top metric kickstarter uses to determine which projects get plastered all over their site is "popularity" which is measured by the number of backers. And if we can get 1000 backers in the first 3 hours, then the kickstarter algorithm treats that a bit like 8000 backers in the first 24 hours - so we get bumped to the top!

A little help?

We start this kickstarter tuesday at 2pm (mountain time). This will be the link for the kickstarter when it starts. If you follow the link now, you can select "notify me on launch" which will send you an email when the kickstarter starts.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/paulwheaton/low-tech-0?ref=8dsasn



The $1 level is heavily loaded for just this reason.  

- a new, hour long movie about three rocket mass heater builds
- the two hour movie of 65 low tech things at wheaton labs
- log beehive plans
- a new, convenient gob of 40 podcasts
- the kickstarter backer icon, on permies, next to your name
- cool public thanks
- access the the secret inner circle forum on permies

And for that same $1 put into the kickstarter in the first few hours, you get the earlybird stuff:

- Mycoinsulation Webinar: “Fungal Mycellium as Insulation” by Beau Davidson
- eBook "How to Use Leftover Whey" by Kate Downham
- eBook "Remodel Green: Make Your House Serve Your Life" by Kelly Hart
- eMag Living Woods Magazine, Issue #5
- eBook "Natural Bath Bombs" by Jan Berry
- 3D plans for the “Cottage Style Sauna Rocket Heater” by Andres Bernal
- Permaculture Voices Presentation "Building a Profitable Permaculture Business" by Jack  Spirko
- eMag Tiny House Magazine, Issue #127
- eBook "Grow Fruit Trees Fast" by Susan Polzner
- eMag The Stockman Grass Farmer, May 2022
- eBook chapter from "The Regenerative Landscaper" by Erik Ohlsen
- Herbal Adaptogens Zine by Katie Williamson
- eBook chapter from "Edible Landscaping with a Permaculture Twist" by Michael Judd
- eMag Acres USA, issue May 2023

My psychotic obsession to transform the world into a permaculture world might be unreasonable. Yet I gotta ask for your help anyways!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/paulwheaton/low-tech-0?ref=8dsasn





 
gardener
Posts: 1883
Location: Trochu, near Calgary, Canada
268
2
homeschooling forest garden books
  • Likes 8
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
14 early bird rewards for our 14th Kickstarter!  How cool is that?
 
Posts: 327
123
4
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I have been trying to find the time you actually plan on launching- had it been in any of the emails/threads? I don’t mind kicking in a bit in the first 3 hrs, but I often go longer than that between email checks, so even the kickstarter notify won’t help much. If I put an alarm on my phone, there is a chance….
 
pollinator
Posts: 106
38
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Just to share...

I signed up for my dollar FWIW, I was just confused about what freebies were what and maybe i'm not the only one/not sure if I selected the right thing?

Like assumption #1 "if I pledge even $1, regardless of which thing selected, that supports your project to get 1000 people in three hours" and I hope you do - please verify this.

But I wasn't fully sure what to click on when i went to the kickstarter so some other people are probably going to be looking maybe in confusion.  There's the 3 hour ideal there, there's something about 48 hours on kickstarter, but the timer here says 72 hours.  There was something like 14 items shown in the picture here vs 7 listed when I just voted with my george washington...

You've got my dollar without complaints whether I got any freebies or not, just sharing this in case other people get confused somewhere.  :)
 
Ra Kenworth
Posts: 253
Location: Iqaluit, Nunavut zone 0 / Mont Sainte-Marie, QC zone 4a
51
2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
$20.17 question

You can delete my comment; kickstarter was giving me CDN funds but its okay wheb time to contribute it is in US funds as should be
 
gardener
Posts: 120
Location: Saegertown, PA, USA (zone 5b)
47
2
hugelkultur chicken cooking bike sheep rocket stoves homestead ungarbage
  • Likes 2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
WOW!!!  This is so awesome!!  We watched the first half of LTLM1 last night and are on board for the nail-biting sequel!  Bring it on!  Yay earlybirds!!!
 
pollinator
Posts: 88
37
7
fungi fiber arts wood heat homestead
  • Likes 3
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I finally got home from town and did my pledge !!! I kicked it over the top :D
11,927

Wahoo !!!
 
Posts: 51
Location: Southern Manitoba...bald(ish) prairie, zone 2b/3
13
  • Likes 3
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Done...I'm in.  Looking forward to being able to see the finished project(s).
 
Posts: 10
Location: West North Carolina
4
  • Likes 2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Just backed the project. Thanks for including this in the daily-ish. Looks like a great project, can't wait to see the results!
 
Posts: 48
Location: Three Rivers, MI
20
3
goat dog plumbing books chicken food preservation cooking pig medical herbs horse homestead
  • Likes 8
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
This is a very large "THANK YOU!" to Paul and all of his staff who continue to push the bar when it comes to trying to change the world for the better.  This week it is our county fair here in Saint Joseph county, Michigan. My wife, Renee and I both help out in the 4H barns, especially the goat ones as one of our granddaughters show and sell La Mancha goats there. Yesterday evening, while walking around after watching her perform Cantina from Star Wars with her blue trumpet, we were talking about how prices had increased in just the past few years, let alone the past couple of decades. It is now a minimum of $10.00 for your basic snack and/or partial meal there and most of the time the food isn't even cooked all the way any more. It has gotten ridiculous. The bracelets for the rides are $30.00 per day when 2 years ago it was only $18.00. Games are a minimum of $5.00 per chance and the merchants seem to have a markup that is higher than the percentage of wood saved if you use Ernie's Rocket Stove instead of a wood burner built in the 1800's.   And here, on the permies website, we are offered so much for so little. Renee and I have started using quite a bit of the knowledge available from the last movie deal and already it has made a HUGE difference in our lives. Granted, some of the things don't fit our lifestyle. But even if you only use one thing, out of all of the earlybird rewards, you are ahead of the game. I don't see any other entity in the world giving out so much. In our case we started out using the free knowledge. Then we went to purchasing Pie every month to help defray Paul out with Permies.com's cost. This time, thanks to the early "warning" emails sent out we could afford $100. It's not so much when I look at how much is being spent at the fair this week. But this $100 will go a lot further in so many ways in Permies.com's hands. So again, Thank You for making this knowledge so affordable. This family truly appreciates all the effort that the staff of Permies.com puts forth. Also, Thank You to all of the authors and creators of the other content that is so freely given out. It will be people like you that will end up saving the world if it is to be saved.  
 
Posts: 2
2
2
homeschooling hugelkultur composting toilet
  • Likes 4
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I pledged yesterday but thought I’d missed the Earlybird deal, so am glad to see that Earlybird goes through tomorrow- which means that I am in! Whew! Still trying to figure out how to stream the first low tech movie so I’m obviously not the sharpest tool in the cyber shed. 👩‍🌾
 
gardener
Posts: 1118
394
12
homeschooling hugelkultur trees medical herbs sheep horse homestead
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

JoAnn Johnson wrote:I pledged yesterday but thought I’d missed the Earlybird deal, so am glad to see that Earlybird goes through tomorrow- which means that I am in! Whew! Still trying to figure out how to stream the first low tech movie so I’m obviously not the sharpest tool in the cyber shed. 👩‍🌾



Hello JoAnn!

Here is the Low Tech Laboratory link:

https://permies.com/w/lowtech#1937665


See if that works for you !
 
Posts: 14
2
food preservation cooking
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Monica Truong wrote:14 early bird rewards for our 14th Kickstarter!  How cool is that?



Pretty cool. I pledged a buck, hope I win all 14!
Thanks Paul.
 
Monica Truong
gardener
Posts: 1883
Location: Trochu, near Calgary, Canada
268
2
homeschooling forest garden books
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Jon Wright wrote:

Monica Truong wrote:14 early bird rewards for our 14th Kickstarter!  How cool is that?



Pretty cool. I pledged a buck, hope I win all 14!
Thanks Paul.



Since the Kickstarter is funded, you DEFINITELY will receive all 14 rewards since you got your pledge in time! The campaign lasts until October 20th, though, so you will still have to wait for a month or so before you get the rewards. Any money above and beyond the goal will be used to fuel more permaculture innovations at Wheaton Labs, so that permies.com can be even more generous and permeate even more brains with permaculture !
 
Derek Thille
Posts: 51
Location: Southern Manitoba...bald(ish) prairie, zone 2b/3
13
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Monica Truong wrote:

Jon Wright wrote:

Monica Truong wrote:14 early bird rewards for our 14th Kickstarter!  How cool is that?



Pretty cool. I pledged a buck, hope I win all 14!
Thanks Paul.



Since the Kickstarter is funded, you DEFINITELY will receive all 14 rewards since you got your pledge in time! The campaign lasts until October 20th, though, so you will still have to wait for a month or so before you get the rewards. Any money above and beyond the goal will be used to fuel more permaculture innovations at Wheaton Labs, so that permies.com can be even more generous and permeate even more brains with permaculture !



I just noticed your profile...Trochu is much closer to Three Hills than Calgary  My brother had been there for a number of years with Alberta Wheat Pool / Agricore United / one of the other names it went through...I guess that was well over a decade ago now, but I spent some time in that neck of the woods.
 
Posts: 8
Location: Spanaway, United States
1
4
  • Likes 2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Why is the Dailyish still promoting the Earlybird rewards? I was really excited but it turns out they're over T.T
 
paul wheaton
author and steward
Posts: 48412
Location: missoula, montana (zone 4)
hugelkultur trees chicken wofati bee woodworking
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

K Ryder wrote:Why is the Dailyish still promoting the Earlybird rewards? I was really excited but it turns out they're over T.T



Good catch!  I think I fixed it!  PIE for you!
 
Theresa Parker
Posts: 10
Location: West North Carolina
4
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Happy New Year's Eve!
Are there any pending updates for the movies project and Kickstarter rewards?

Thanks much and here's to a wonderful 2024!
 
reply
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic