Win a copy of The Tourist Trail this week in the Writing forum!
  • Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
permaculture forums growies critters building homesteading energy monies kitchen purity ungarbage community wilderness fiber arts art permaculture artisans regional education experiences global resources the cider press projects digital market permies.com private forums all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
master stewards:
  • Nicole Alderman
  • r ranson
  • Anne Miller
  • paul wheaton
stewards:
  • Joseph Lofthouse
  • Jocelyn Campbell
  • Mike Jay
garden masters:
  • Steve Thorn
  • Dave Burton
  • Joylynn Hardesty
gardeners:
  • Carla Burke
  • Pearl Sutton
  • Greg Martin

UGH! Coyote!

 
Posts: 26
5
books chicken cooking
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
last night and again this morning we have a coyote in the yard, sniffing around the chicken pen.  Yelling at it will make it go away, but does anyone have any ideas on ways to discourage it from coming in the yard?  It just jumps the chain link. I dont want to kill it, just discourage it from MY yard.  The puppies are only 11 weeks old and not big enough to leave out in the yard yet.  Although it was funny last night seeing Hugginn last night running at the coyote right next to me!  

TIA,

Sandy  
 
master pollinator
Posts: 11288
Location: Central Texas USA Latitude 30 Zone 8
713
cat forest garden fish trees chicken fiber arts wood heat greening the desert
  • Likes 3
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Male human pee can discourage predators.  Has to be male pee.
 
S Smithsson
Posts: 26
5
books chicken cooking
  • Likes 3
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Yep - this one will get that coyote all right! :)

I'll get some pee over where it's jumping the fence tonight and see how that works. Thanks for the suggestion!
Hugginn.JPG
[Thumbnail for Hugginn.JPG]
 
Posts: 89
Location: Vancouver Island, BC, Canada
27
  • Likes 4
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I personally do not deal with coyotes here - but good old fashioned urine is a time tested deterrant, as is dog urine. That said, you would want to do the entire fence, or perhaps around the coop itself.

Do consider this a warning, double check that the coop cannot be dug into (concrete, rocks, wire buried two feet down or extending at least two feet along th surface); install electric fencing; get a motion activated water cannon (called a "ScareCrow"); set up motion activated lights...

Just make sure that there is SOMETHING that will scare it off IF you aren't around or aware to do the scaring until your Guardian friend is old enough to do it's job.
 
S Smithsson
Posts: 26
5
books chicken cooking
  • Likes 2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Lorinne Anderson wrote:I personally do not deal with coyotes here - but good old fashioned urine is a time tested deterrant, as is dog urine. That said, you would want to do the entire fence, or perhaps around the coop itself.

Do consider this a warning, double check that the coop cannot be dug into (concrete, rocks, wire buried two feet down or extending at least two feet along th surface); install electric fencing; get a motion activated water cannon (called a "ScareCrow"); set up motion activated lights...

Just make sure that there is SOMETHING that will scare it off IF you aren't around or aware to do the scaring until your Guardian friend is old enough to do it's job.



Great advice - the coop itself is secure with hardware cloth, as well as extending all the way around, bricks on top, etc.   - but the chickens get all freaked out by the coyote sniffing around!  I did just buy a couple of the water cannons, to keep them and the bear and the deer and the fox (and whoever else I dont see) away from the yard.  I forgot about them!  So thanks for the reminder!


Sandy
 
Posts: 68
Location: Southside of Virginia
14
goat chicken bee medical herbs wood heat homestead
  • Likes 2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I've had to bring in coyote hunters again. There's an overabundance of coyotes in this area, so most folks around here are glad that hunters are again trying to thin the packs. Good luck and know that dogs are fair game for coyotes too.
 
steward
Posts: 4806
Location: Northern WI (zone 4)
1306
hunting trees books food preservation solar woodworking
  • Likes 2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Can you make the fence taller for a while?  Use sticks to extend the posts a foot or two and string some cheap wire along a foot above the fence.  
 
Lorinne Anderson
Posts: 89
Location: Vancouver Island, BC, Canada
27
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Mike has a good point, about "extending" the fence height, it doesn't even have to be solid, just "appear" to be a barrier:  strings, mylar, CD's, whatever dangling from something as light as fishing line strung between sticks or poles, assuming we are not talking about a 3-4 foot fence....
 
master pollinator
Posts: 3653
833
transportation cat duck trees rabbit books chicken woodworking
  • Likes 2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Barbara Martin wrote:I've had to bring in coyote hunters again. There's an overabundance of coyotes in this area, so most folks around here are glad that hunters are again trying to thin the packs. Good luck and know that dogs are fair game for coyotes too.



That is a strategy I use too. I have a dog to watch my sheep 24/7 and she does well, 2 fox and 2 coyote kills with never a sheep lost to a coyote yet, despite Maine having the biggest coyotes in the world. But when the neighbors told me they had to drive 2 miles out around while their dogs tracked coyotes, I took my bulldozer and made a road that cut across my property to theirs...anything to allow them to hunt coyotes on my farm. One year, about 3 years ago, they took out over 30 coyotes on my farm alone.
 
Posts: 479
Location: Australia, New South Wales. Köppen: Cfa (Humid Subtropical), USDA: 10/11
132
transportation hugelkultur cat forest garden fish trees urban chicken cooking woodworking homestead
  • Likes 4
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Given significant historical evidence, it seems the best Coyote deterrent is a Road Runner. Alternatively, ACME products appear to inflict a variety of damage on unsuspecting Coyotes as well!


Sorry, couldn’t resist it

wile-e-coyote-and-road-runner.jpg
[Thumbnail for wile-e-coyote-and-road-runner.jpg]
Wile-E-Coyote and Road Runner
 
Travis Johnson
master pollinator
Posts: 3653
833
transportation cat duck trees rabbit books chicken woodworking
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

F Agricola wrote:
Given significant historical evidence, it seems the best Coyote deterrent is a Road Runner. Alternatively, ACME products appear to inflict a variety of damage on unsuspecting Coyotes as well!


Sorry, couldn’t resist it



In true forum fashion, I must disagree, I truly believe it was the lack of quality of the Acme product line that did Willey Coyote in most of the 878,945 times he was killed.

At the same time, it should be noted, no sheep were killed while Sam was watching the sheep, and the wolf (who was NOT Willey Coyote by the way despite the similar look), was always thwarted. But Sam was indeed an older dog.

Edited to say: Are we going to be in a world of hurt if someone talks about bunnies. I mean are we going to start talking about Jessica and Roger of the "Who framed Roger rabbit" movie?
 
F Agricola
Posts: 479
Location: Australia, New South Wales. Köppen: Cfa (Humid Subtropical), USDA: 10/11
132
transportation hugelkultur cat forest garden fish trees urban chicken cooking woodworking homestead
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Travis Johnson wrote: In true forum fashion, I must disagree, I truly believe it was the lack of quality of the Acme product line that did Willey Coyote in most of the 878,945 times he was killed.

At the same time, it should be noted, no sheep were killed while Sam was watching the sheep, and the wolf (who was NOT Willey Coyote by the way despite the similar look), was always thwarted. But Sam was indeed an older dog.

Edited to say: Are we going to be in a world of hurt if someone talks about bunnies. I mean are we going to start talking about Jessica and Roger of the "Who framed Roger rabbit" movie?




Hello Mr Johnson,

At the risk of hijacking this Thread, your disagreement is noted, with a rebuttal:

ACME products were (and still are) high quality merchandise. ACME should not be held accountable for the misuse of their products, as all too frequently shown by Mr Wile-E-Coyote throughout his long-standing and unwarranted feud with Mr Beep-Beep AKA Mr Road Runner.

Typical of Mr W-E Coyote’s single-minded pursuit of Mr Beep-Beep; with his complete disregard for personal safety and improper application of ACME products; routinely ended in critical, albeit highly humorous, failures.

It should be noted that on rare occasions Mr Beep-Beep did employ ACME products against Mr W-E Coyote with outstandingly successful outcomes. This alone validates ACME – when used properly, for the intended purpose, the product has a 99.98% success rate.

This obviously indicates a need for additional disclaimers on ACME merchandise, for example: ‘Not Suitable For Use By Coyotes’.

In regards to Messrs Ralph E. Wolf and Sam Sheepdog, please be advised that they remain employees of an unidentified corporation, as shown in various episodes when they use a Bundy Clock (clock card machine) and carry lunch boxes. Each had a defined role – one to protect, one to prey. (Rare corporate support of natural processes?!)

As a consequence of the exhaustive field testing unwittingly conducted by Messrs W-E Coyote and Beep-Beep over several decades, Ms Smithsson may consider:

1. ACME products as a first line of defence in her issues with Coyotes around the chicken pen. (Yes, ACME does indeed make Permaculture ‘friendly’ products: please refer to their extensive catalogue.)
2. That ‘Hugginn’, the VERY cute fluffy puppy, be ‘employed’ to protect the chickens in much the same way as Mr Sam Sheepdog successfully protects sheep … Bundy Clock and lunch box notwithstanding.

P.S. concerning bunnies, there’s only one of any significance - and that’s Mr Bugs Bunny. However, in respects to Mr Roger Rabbit and Mrs Jessica Rabbit - although we’re not judgemental on this Forum, cross-species ‘relationships’ are somewhat a taboo subject, even though most would accept Mr Pepe-Le Pew and Ms Penelope Pussycat’s on-going love/hate antics as being cute and endearing.

Perhaps a topic for discussions elsewhere, and one issue that has always bothered me, why doesn’t Mr Porky Pig wear pants? That’s just NOT right!
ACME-CATALOG.jpg
[Thumbnail for ACME-CATALOG.jpg]
 
Villains always have antidotes. They're funny that way. Here's an antidote disquised as a tiny ad:
permaculture bootcamp - learn permaculture through a little hard work
https://permies.com/wiki/bootcamp
  • Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
Boost this thread!