• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
permaculture forums growies critters building homesteading energy monies kitchen purity ungarbage community wilderness fiber arts art permaculture artisans regional education skip experiences global resources cider press projects digital market permies.com pie forums private forums all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
master stewards:
  • Nicole Alderman
  • Anne Miller
  • r ranson
  • Pearl Sutton
stewards:
  • paul wheaton
  • Mike Haasl
  • Devaka Cooray
master gardeners:
  • Carla Burke
  • jordan barton
  • John F Dean
  • Greg Martin
gardeners:
  • Leigh Tate
  • Steve Thorn
  • Jay Angler

I Wish I Had Permies Community in RL

 
Posts: 14
5
  • Likes 7
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hey, I'm from Modesto, CA and man oh man am I having trouble finding literally anything here in my immediate community that I can build on.
I've been googling stuff like "homesteaders Modesto" amongst a ton of keywords that are amounting to a whole lot of nothing. We have some nurseries here, and some like, commercial farming (monocultures be causing more harm than good) and that's really it. I feel honestly, very alone.
This is probably too personal and unnecessary information but my partner who claims to share interest in these things just likes the idea I think, because in reality, he brings nothing to the table. I'm the starter of all projects, always researching, planning out how I will get land and build the life I dream about, amongst so many other things. I'm craving any sort of relationship where I can share this interest with someone in the flesh. I want to surround myself with like minded people because I know my potential will be taken a step further, I'm like a small flame just waiting to catch full fire.
I'm doing a lot on my own, I feel proud and am not waiting around for others, but community is so important to me. As is sharing skills and problem solving/creative thinking, and just in general, the experience... How sad do I sound. Lol.
I am sad. I feel really out of place and this post in general is a jumbled mess of emotions and dreams.
I guess.. I'm just calling out into the void here to see who can actually hear me. How do I find others who want this lifestyle who are actually around me?
I've wwoofed on 4 different farms and had the time of my life. My immediate plans are to buy a truck this summer and do it again, sleeping in the truck bed with a camper shell. Once again, my partner was supposed to save and split for this vehicle, but I'm the only one who has managed to follow through with the saving part. But i'm not interested in blaming him, I've done enough of that and it's a waste of good energy. I'm ready to move forward and maybe it will be all on my own(with what I've seen, I'm guessing this will be the outcome). I also have a container garden in my backyard, I'll post some pics. I keep a garden diary. I dream of building a cob house and having alternative off grid energy and SO many things guys! But it's a lonely vision right now.
If you've gotten this far, thanks for dealing with me unloading all this shit on ya. I appreciate the connection even if it's just behind a screen.
IMG_20190921_212315_828.jpg
[Thumbnail for IMG_20190921_212315_828.jpg]
IMG_20190922_202122_300.jpg
[Thumbnail for IMG_20190922_202122_300.jpg]
IMG_20190827_202341_130.jpg
[Thumbnail for IMG_20190827_202341_130.jpg]
IMG_20191229_201007_222.jpg
[Thumbnail for IMG_20191229_201007_222.jpg]
IMG_20190929_215211_250.jpg
[Thumbnail for IMG_20190929_215211_250.jpg]
 
gardener
Posts: 477
Location: Nara, Japan. Zone 8-ish
344
kids dog forest garden personal care trees foraging
  • Likes 3
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Beautiful pictures, Kylie! It looks like you're doing a lot in your little space.

The permaculture road, or any dream, can be lonely sometimes. I'm thankful for permies as a part of my community. I also feel isolated a lot of the time. The people my age in my real life community aren't interested in talking about permaculture. Anyone who is is actually doing, so busy. While my husband is on board with the permaculture dream, he is working full time at the moment, and I'm focused on taking care of our kid. So not much time to permaculture right now.

We moved a couple times before settling where we are. I know it can be tough to have to wait to do all the things you really want to try.

I agree with your plan to wwoof through the summer whether you go alone or not. When I first moved to Japan, I left my boyfriend of three years in the states. He said he would follow me in a few months, never happened. And I met my now husband soon after, so I'm glad I went ahead on my own! It can be so lonely at the time, but it's not forever!

In the meantime, permies is a great place to talk about permaculture or anything else.

Hopefully some permies who are closer to you than me will reply also!
 
pollinator
Posts: 11804
Location: Central Texas USA Latitude 30 Zone 8
1067
cat forest garden fish trees chicken fiber arts wood heat greening the desert
  • Likes 2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator


https://www.modestogardenclub.org/    

https://www.csustan.edu/geography/bio-ag-center


Permaculture in your community might need to start with you!

 
pollinator
Posts: 906
Location: Southern Oregon
247
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I've had the best luck with getting involved with the local extension office. Not everyone will be permies, but some are likely to be.
 
Posts: 2
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hey, I actually know you in real life! Kinda, I was friends with your sister Jamie. I helped her get her shoes back during gym class lol. I live in empire, my name is Dena. I'm currently working on a tiny garden using permaculture principles, and I'm looking forward to a chip drop in the near future.
 
steward
Posts: 9647
Location: Northern WI (zone 4)
2776
hunting trees books food preservation solar woodworking
  • Likes 4
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I kept wishing for a homesteading club in my area so after a few years, I just started one.  Now it has 160 members.  

I kept wanting a community garden in our area so after a few years of waiting for someone else to start one, I'm giving it a shot.

Start with garden clubs, master gardeners and other related groups/fairs and you'll find some folks more in-line with your hopes.  And then start a permaculture group.
 
kylie cox
Posts: 14
5
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Amy Arnett wrote:Beautiful pictures, Kylie! It looks like you're doing a lot in your little space.

The permaculture road, or any dream, can be lonely sometimes. I'm thankful for permies as a part of my community. I also feel isolated a lot of the time. The people my age in my real life community aren't interested in talking about permaculture. Anyone who is is actually doing, so busy. While my husband is on board with the permaculture dream, he is working full time at the moment, and I'm focused on taking care of our kid. So not much time to permaculture right now.

We moved a couple times before settling where we are. I know it can be tough to have to wait to do all the things you really want to try.

I agree with your plan to wwoof through the summer whether you go alone or not. When I first moved to Japan, I left my boyfriend of three years in the states. He said he would follow me in a few months, never happened. And I met my now husband soon after, so I'm glad I went ahead on my own! It can be so lonely at the time, but it's not forever!

In the meantime, permies is a great place to talk about permaculture or anything else.

Hopefully some permies who are closer to you than me will reply also!



Thank you for sharing all of your experience, it makes me feel way less isolated!
What's great is I have plans to save for land, travel and gain experience, etc that I CAN do on my own!
And I have this feeling I will meet who I need to when I need to. Not to make it sound all magical, but I've already had doors open for me recently. I feel very empowered and have to create what I want to see out there.

Thank you :)
 
kylie cox
Posts: 14
5
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Tyler Ludens wrote:

https://www.modestogardenclub.org/    

https://www.csustan.edu/geography/bio-ag-center


Permaculture in your community might need to start with you!



Thanks for linking me! It's so funny that you mentioned Modesto garden Club. They actually don't have ANY vegetable gardens! They sponsor some schools but none of their own creation. It's more of putting flowers in pots on main roads and stuff. Anyway, they aren't interested in "taking on a new garden at this time". But they are interested in maybe backing my proposal.
Anyway, I'm now trying to start a community garden and have been researching like an MF. It's a lot. Lol. I'm really hoping I find help in preparing this.
But I do have a friend who works with City Council that's gonna help me.

Thanks! :)
 
kylie cox
Posts: 14
5
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Stacy Witscher wrote:I've had the best luck with getting involved with the local extension office. Not everyone will be permies, but some are likely to be.



This one is news to me. I'm gonna check that out, thank you!
 
kylie cox
Posts: 14
5
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Dailenea Heffron wrote:Hey, I actually know you in real life! Kinda, I was friends with your sister Jamie. I helped her get her shoes back during gym class lol. I live in empire, my name is Dena. I'm currently working on a tiny garden using permaculture principles, and I'm looking forward to a chip drop in the near future.



I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU FOUND THIS POST!!! ☀
I PM'd you! So looking forward to connecting in person!
🥳🥳🥳
 
kylie cox
Posts: 14
5
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Mike Haasl wrote:I kept wishing for a homesteading club in my area so after a few years, I just started one.  Now it has 160 members.  

I kept wanting a community garden in our area so after a few years of waiting for someone else to start one, I'm giving it a shot.

Start with garden clubs, master gardeners and other related groups/fairs and you'll find some folks more in-line with your hopes.  And then start a permaculture group.



Well look at you go. Damn. You make it sound so easy! Lol. ;)

I'm currently trying to get a community garden going, anything you can share with me? Personal advice or links?

I have a good chunk of compiled info, a rough draft mission statement, purpose, possible sponsors, land requirements, development, meetings/prep and outreach, as well as donating produce towards social issues (low income families etc). I have a million ideas. I'll go peep the other threads too to see what I can find but replies here are so welcome too! ☀🌻

How about specific groups or fairs? Locally there isn't much at all, I've googled pretty extensively. I would be open to driving out a ways. I'm having trouble with this one. Help!

Thank you!!! 🤠
 
pollinator
Posts: 342
80
dog trees books bee medical herbs
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Have you tried your local meetup groups? (meetup.com). If none exist already that you could join, then that would be a great place to try to start one. I have been thinking of doing the same for quite a while already, although for organic gardening. I haven't actually gotten to it yet, though.  In my imagination the group would meet weekly at rotating members' gardens and we could all learn from one another, help each other with projects that are much easier with more than 2 hands, share ideas, share information, and at the end of the growing season, maybe even swap various vegetables and fruits, seeds, etc. Meetup.com can be a wonderful source to find people for all kinds of shared interests.
 
Mike Haasl
steward
Posts: 9647
Location: Northern WI (zone 4)
2776
hunting trees books food preservation solar woodworking
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

kylie cox wrote:I'm currently trying to get a community garden going, anything you can share with me? Personal advice or links?

I have a good chunk of compiled info, a rough draft mission statement, purpose, possible sponsors, land requirements, development, meetings/prep and outreach, as well as donating produce towards social issues (low income families etc). I have a million ideas. I'll go peep the other threads too to see what I can find but replies here are so welcome too! ☀🌻

How about specific groups or fairs? Locally there isn't much at all, I've googled pretty extensively. I would be open to driving out a ways. I'm having trouble with this one. Help!

Thank you!!! 🤠


Looks like you have it more together than I do  We're just having our first meeting this week.  Biggest thing I think I've done an ok job of is to talk to everyone I know who might know someone who'd want to help.  That way a team can (hopefully) form to make this garden happen.  That's also where being involved with garden clubs comes in handy.  I can send a note to all the master gardeners in the area and there's a modest chance that one will want to help out.

Specific groups or fairs...  Well, in a normal year, there might be an Earth Day thing going on.  That's a place to meet people.  Your county may have a Master Gardeners program.  And they may be involved with a local garden club.  Both of those are ways to maybe meet people.  The farmers market is a great place to meet people.  Reading the physical message board at the library may turn you onto some outlets.  A feed store or plant nursery in the area may know of some local permies.  Some of this requires talking and visiting places because some clubs don't have a web presence.  Get out there and rub some elbows!
 
Posts: 16
Location: Oakland California
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hey, based in oakland out here, not too close but definitely worth a drive out if you need help with any big projects feel free to hit me up! I can give y'all worms and worm juice! Maybe some special plants too!
Rio 5109347719
rio.forager@gmail.com
 
I think he's gonna try to grab my monkey. Do we have a monkey outfit for this tiny ad?
100th Issue of Permaculture Magazine - now FREE for a while
https://permies.com/goodies/45/pmag
reply
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic