This was my first time making soap. I made it using 83% goat tallow and 17% pork lard( both of these from my own animals :) ) I made a tea with chamomile, plantain and mugwort( all of which were gathered from the property :) ) . So the tea was used as the water for the soap. I did not get to see the gel stage, it may have happened overnight. I super fatted at 5%.
I used Soap calc for my recipe to get the amounts of water, superfatting, lye, tallow/lard.
It all went as planned! it was very straight forward. The website which helped me the most with the process was Miller Soap
Here is the cardboard box i used to setup the soap in, It was lined with wax paper
Lots of dishes, Next time i will most likely make the soap after rendering the tallow, I will have less dishes hopefully this way! This was from tallow i rendered about 2 months ago.
Here is how i cut it up, I basically measured 1 inch on the block and than cut them on end. It helped to have the line go all the way down the block
The soap bars are about 3" x 3" by 1"
I am not bothering with making them look pretty. Here they are drying/curing :)
A close up
I strongly encourage anyone who has thought about doing it to just try it! It was very straight forward and there are great resources available online :)
Living off-grid 23 acre farm, with goats, chickens, pigs and a huge bodacious garden
-USDA Zone 8-9