For this badge bit, you will press or render a quart of oil or fat!
Minimum requirements for this BB:
- Oils and Fats - press or render a quart of oil or fat - do one. Possibilities include:
- Flax (linseed) oil
- Sunflower oil
- Walnut oil
- Hazelnut oil
- Can be small quantities over time
To show you've completed this Badge Bit, you must provide proof of the following as pictures or video (<2 mins):
- source of oil or fat before processing
- pressing or rendering the oil or fat
- finished oil or fat after processing (meeting the above stated requirements)
I bought some pasture raised cow fat to turn into tallow.
I followed a recipe in “Eat Right” by Nick Barnard for wet rendering.
I grated 3.19 lbs / 1.5 kg on a box grater and added 80g of water / 500g to a large dutch oven. I placed the pot in the oven at 120’C.
I stirred every half hour for three hours until the fat had completely rendered and the residual solids started to colour.
I removed from the oven and left it to cool for half an hour.
Then I skimmed out most of the solids before straining into a large glass jug. I had just over 6 cups, 1 and half quarts.
I poured the warm tallow into two wide mouth jars.