This is a badge bit (BB) that is part of the PEP curriculum. Completing this BB is part of getting the sand badge in Plumbing.
In this Badge Bit, you will fix a clean/decalcify a faucet aerator. (Note that this BB is part of a 6-part choose your own adventure list BB called the Tiny List. You must complete six Badge Bits in the Tiny List.)
And here are some videos on cleaning a faucet aerator:
To complete this BB, the minimum requirements are:
- clean/decalcify a faucet aerator
To show you've completed this Badge Bit, you must provide:
- a before picture of the running faucet with view of the aerator
- an in progress shot of you cleaning/decalcifying the faucet aerator
- an after picture of the running faucet with view of the aerator
- a description of the method (and cleaners, if any) of cleaning
- OR a 2-minute video of you doing this
I just took a shot at this one myself. The faucet wasn't calcified but it was plugged up with debris. I cleaned it out mainly with water in another sink but also soaked it in hydrogen peroxide just to cover all my bases. The improvement in flow is hard to see but that's because when it first was noticeable, I rubbed the underside of the aerator which improved it a bunch (but didn't really fix the issue).
"Hundreds of years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in or the type of car I drove... But the world may be different because I did something so bafflingly crazy that it becomes a tourist destination"
Yesterday I was working on a big project (couch repair!) and decided to clean the faucets off as well. Our area has really hard water (usually scores a 15+ in water tests) with lots of calcium deposits from the underlying limestone. I pulled the aerators from the kitchen and master bathroom, as well as the kitchen sink sprayer. Realized there was a BB for doing the shower head as well so decided to do them all together.
Soaked all the pieces in 9% white vinegar for about three hours while I worked on the couch repair. I was able to flake off all the buildup with my nails after the soak, so it worked really well!
Added some rubber gaskets and plumbers tape to the leaky sink tap and it now works wonderfully.
I Solemnly Swear I am NOT the crazy cat lady!
*but not for a lack of trying!
Regarding the method I used: after I removed the aerator I sprayed it with vinegar and scrubbed it and the faucet with a toothbrush. Once it was loosened and the larger bits removed I soaked it in vinegar. After the last of the bubbling was done, I scrubbed and rinsed the components before reattaching them.
Postscript: I would never let my faucet get this bad. I did one of the ones at my workplace so the difference would be clear.
His faucet has gunk all over it and figured I could take it off with vinegar while I soaked the aerator. No such luck; it's eaten into the (cheap) faucet. Guess I'll add changing out the faucet to the (very long) list.