To complete this BB, the minimum requirements are:
- fix a leaky faucet
To show you've completed this Badge Bit, you must provide:
- a before picture of the leaky faucet
- an in progress shot of you repairing the leaky faucet
- an after picture of the same faucet no longer leaking
- OR a 2-minute video of you doing this
Had a kitchen faucet that the wife has been wanting fixed for a while, so I got it done today after watching the videos yesterday. First time I’ve ever done this, so it was a good experience. My 7 year old son was my helper, as well as he is a big motivator for me coming to the first PEP1 workshop!
I hope it still counts if I had supervision... lol
I plumbed rainwater into my greenhouse the other day. Instead of buying a new faucet I found an old one in the plumbing parts bin that I had been holding onto. It was too old for use on a house but perfect for this application. Unfortunately after I put it in and opened the valve at the rainwater tank, I could hear air leaking out of the valve. So I took it off and moved into the garage. I expected to find a worn out rubber washer but the washer was in great shape. Not that I've seen many of these but it was pristine. There was some plastic-like junk sitting on the seat where the washer sits though. I cleaned that out, put it back together and now it doesn't leak!
Pro tip: The brass nut that I took off was a bit undersized for a standard "English" wrench so I found that a metric wrench actually fit better.
The faucet in the bathroom had been having trouble for some time, with it being difficult to turn the cold tap all the way down and drips occurring from time to time. Then, one day while trying to turn it off, the knob came off in my hand and I couldn't put it back on! Talk about a leak!
I managed to turn the water off with some vicegrips and then had time to look at what was going on. As you can (hopefully) see, the bolt holding the handle on was totally stripped, taking on a tapered cone shape. This faucet dates back to the 1990s or earlier, and has seen some abuse. I looked at getting a replacement part from the company, or getting a new set of knobs, but with the supply chain crisis, the former was challenging and the latter would have cost $90 for an equivalent pair of metal ones!
So I got a stainless bolt and stainless washers to make the same shape and installed them. Fixed the immediate problem of having no knob, as well as the leak that had been occurring previously!