In this Badge Bit, you will fix an electrical appliance. Fridge not working quite right? Toaster only toasts on one side? Let's fix that appliance!
There are youtube videos for nearly any type of appliance issue and repair so do some digging to figure out what is wrong, what parts you may need and how to do the job.
To complete this BB, the minimum requirements are:
- fix a problem with an electrical appliance
- more complicated that replacing a light bulb - must be an electrical issue for this BB
Electrical points earned vary from 1/2 to 4 points
- the points awarded are up to the certifier based on the challenge of the troubleshooting and the complexity of the repair
- replacing a heat element is likely to be low on the range
- replacing circuit boards and motors and rat eaten wires is likely to be high on the range
To show you've completed this Badge Bit, provide proof of the following as pics or video (less than two minutes):
- the broken appliance before you start your project
- explanation of what was broken, how you troubleshot it and how you fixed it
- the parts you bought (if applicable)
- the parts you replaced (if applicable)
- the appliance at maximum point of disassembly
- the appliance reassembled
My electric stove has an intermittent problem. Sometimes the heating elements work, sometimes not. This required some trouble shooting. The fan works, but no heat. Turns out the first thing I checked was the issue. I looked at the junction box for the whip and saw flashes of light and heard some sizzling sounds. So, fire hazard. The whip has bad connections and is undersized. Thankfully that's all it ended up being.