I'm a regular eater of dandelions. I often see small black spots on dandelions I get at the grocery store. I get these spots less often from dandelions I find in local parks. The spots are small so they don't show well in these photos. I'm wondering if these spots are mold? (PS Sorry if this is the wrong forum. I did not see another place this really fit.)
Ghislaine de Lessines wrote:I would guess it's insect eggs rather than mold. Do they wipe off easily?
Thanks for responding. No they don't wipe off or fall off when soaked.
John Saltveit wrote:I have been eating dandelions and other weeds for more than a decade. I would never worry about such tiny spots. Do you think that paleolithic man worried about that? I would worry much more about not eating enough leafy greens. Fungi is a huge kingdom. You will find some form of fungi on every piece of produce you eat, probably. It's natural and ok.
I respectfully disagree. Molds can be toxic. I would appreciate members of the forum letting me know if this is a mold or something else.
Now, I really don't think it's a mold at all. Probably a webbing or secretion of some insect. My guess is an egg case or something similar. Maybe slug or snail mucus dried up.
Don't count your weasels before they've popped. And now for a mulberry bush related tiny ad:
five days of natural building (wofati and cob) and rocket cooktop oct 8-12, 2018https://permies.com/t/92034/permaculture-projects/days-natural-building-wofati-cob