• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
permaculture forums growies critters building homesteading energy monies kitchen purity ungarbage community wilderness fiber arts art permaculture artisans regional education skip experiences global resources cider press projects digital market permies.com pie forums private forums all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
master stewards:
  • paul wheaton
  • Anne Miller
  • Carla Burke
  • Nancy Reading
  • John F Dean
  • Timothy Norton
  • Jay Angler
stewards:
  • r ransom
  • Pearl Sutton
  • Tereza Okava
master gardeners:
  • Christopher Weeks
gardeners:
  • M Ljin
  • Megan Palmer
  • Kate Downham

Permaculture advocate in Zimbabwe - too little/too much rain

 
pollinator
Posts: 6319
Location: Bendigo , Australia
605
plumbing earthworks bee building homestead greening the desert
  • Likes 5
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Here is a good explanation of dew collection.

In your case, a collection system could be set up on the roof of your house and other small systems can be set up around your property.

The dew collects in the underside of a collector, so it needs to be above the house roof, since you dont want condensation inside your house.
As the video explains different materials can work and you need to have the water flow off and be collected.

 
pollinator
Posts: 884
Location: Zimbabwe
817
greening the desert
  • Likes 7
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
A force in the positive direction might have been unleashed in my sister, progress wise. We are engaging people other than mai Kumbi and her family, to help us make beds at the plot. I do not have money for this, but  a friend promised to help me if I give him a budget. It was exciting to know that help is this close and that's how come I made plans and engaged my sister in the first place. As the days are moving I  kept on thinking about this and I am becoming afraid of borrowing money from my friend. Unlike Apo's business, where he already has some cash flow, I will be starting from scratch and my promise of returning money to my friend is based on my prediction of how things will be. I am sure that if we put in enough work and inputs towards growing things, we will get a good harvest but I am afraid of disappointing my friend, if there are any unforseen factors.

All along I thought my sister would be depending on me, on the two beds she wants to start working on. So as we were looking for people to help us, I started withdrawing a little from the process and she poked me until I told her the reason. She just told me that the reason why my progress is slow is that I over think, which makes it difficult for me to get help. Having said this, she said she is independently doing her beds, using her savings. I was pleasantly surprised that she was willing to use her money for this,  that's more people and more resources towards building a sustainable homestead. I am also accepting that I will need help as I grow with things that I have already set up, but also with things that are still on paper. So I am working on a budget for my friend to see and hopefully he will be able to help.
 
John C Daley
pollinator
Posts: 6319
Location: Bendigo , Australia
605
plumbing earthworks bee building homestead greening the desert
  • Likes 9
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Have you seen this method of moving water. Would that sort of thing help you?
https://hipporoller.org/about/
 
John C Daley
pollinator
Posts: 6319
Location: Bendigo , Australia
605
plumbing earthworks bee building homestead greening the desert
  • Likes 7
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
They cost about 2500 Rand, from South Africa
Zimbabwe experience
 
Rufaro Makamure
pollinator
Posts: 884
Location: Zimbabwe
817
greening the desert
  • Likes 7
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
My friend came through for me and I managed to have beds that had been abandoned, remade. We are now planting and my sister believes in burying her organic matter so she is digging pits before she plants.

We are busy, she has finished burying and planting in one bed and she finished at the same time as me, I did not dig, I was just planting in the beds. I will work on feeding the beds as the plants grow. I used to be bothered by how slow I am, which made it difficult for me to be confident in myself in growing things at the plot. Today, I am not even phased, I am doing the best I can and I will push myself to the best of my abilities.

A neighbor's chickens are eating our vegetables, they were told but they are not doing anything about it. The man who owns the chickens would come and connect his hose pipe without asking for permission, fetching water to build his massive durahall. He is bullying us and there is not much we can do. We are locking the gate though, so he no longer takes our water for his building project.
20261004_131226.jpg
[Thumbnail for 20261004_131226.jpg]
20261004_135806.jpg
[Thumbnail for 20261004_135806.jpg]
 
pollinator
Posts: 1119
Location: Illinois
272
  • Likes 9
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Perhaps you might have chicken for dinner a night or two. Then he may become more careful with how they roam.
Or if that is too aggressive, just trap them and make them come and get them.
 
John C Daley
pollinator
Posts: 6319
Location: Bendigo , Australia
605
plumbing earthworks bee building homestead greening the desert
  • Likes 8
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

build his massive durahall

Wha is that being built?
Is that steel fence what you have around your garden?
 
Rufaro Makamure
pollinator
Posts: 884
Location: Zimbabwe
817
greening the desert
  • Likes 13
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
It is raining heavily and the droplets were significant the moment we entered our home from the plot. Of a total number of 16 beds, we managed to plant a total of 12. I am so thankful for the drive my sister has, if it wasn't for her I would not have covered the area we did. We ended up working together on the beds, though we each are responsible for our own individual beds.
My sister pushes...it's a good thing. We are both exhausted but very happy.
20261005_164540.jpg
Safely in the house and this is what's outside
Safely in the house and this is what's outside
 
Rufaro Makamure
pollinator
Posts: 884
Location: Zimbabwe
817
greening the desert
  • Likes 9
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

John C Daley wrote:Wha is that being built?
Is that steel fence what you have around your garden?



There is a wall that's being built around my neighbor's  house. We are six yards only that are an acre big, all the others that are being built so far, are 300 square meters or less. Of the six, 5 of them have multiple buildings that are being built, some for renting out and one seems to be building a shopping area in his yard.

There is still a fence on our side that's between us and our neighbor where the chickens are coming through.
20261006_091343.jpg
[Thumbnail for 20261006_091343.jpg]
 
Rufaro Makamure
pollinator
Posts: 884
Location: Zimbabwe
817
greening the desert
  • Likes 7
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I am thinking about a new approach with mai Kumbi. About *two weeks back* I went to the plot after many months. I had stopped going to the plot, to find out how things can be if I am not on the ground. I went and saw that most of the beds that we used to grow things in had been abandoned, something that was not communicated. I was stuck, because I have done all I can in selling the idea of the plot being a source of survival to mai Kumbi and her family, hoping they will end up putting more effort on the plot.

After my friend offered to help, my last plan is to grow things myself with my sister. Hopefully, this will prove the place can actually give an easier source of income and buy this family in. We need as many hands on deck as we can possibly have.

The reason is because of what I am seeing on my way to the plot. People are building everywhere and our lifestyle takes more from the land than it gives back. For example, there are heaps of gravel that are along the road close to the plot which are for fixing the road. On the side, parallel to the gravel, there are heaps of soil that was scooped from the sides of the road, soil that would have been carried from somewhere by the rain and deposited on the road side, building up as the years pass. The quantities of soil I am seeing is a lot, the gravel heaps stretch beyond what the eyes can see. We do need good roads, but the price we are paying is too high. Other roads that had gravel laid on it are already starting to have potholes, meaning gravel is now a consumable. It will be needed again and again if the roads are to be maintained in good shape. Then there is the building of houses that is everywhere.

There is a need more than ever to create a working system that is regenerative, which can attract others. If we have many people feeding into this, then we can start countering the current effects of the lifestyle we already have.

I am meeting with mai Kumbi, to explain this. Already she was not happy that we reopened the beds she gad abandoned, without running it by her. But she never communicated her plans, so I did not feel the need to explain myself too much to her, before our monthly meeting date. I think she knew that I had no confidence in growing things myself, so I relied on her entirely, but now I see things differently and I have my sister, things will be different.

When she saw us clearing the space, she started clearing the onion area, to plant beans. This is something we had talked about a month ago, and she had not done it. I hope this new approach will push both our families to work hard on this piece of land.

I am meeting with mai Kumbi today.

20261008_060503.jpg
[Thumbnail for 20261008_060503.jpg]
20261004_170426.jpg
[Thumbnail for 20261004_170426.jpg]
20260928_111901.jpg
Soil scooped from the road side, dumped into yards close by
Soil scooped from the road side, dumped into yards close by
20261008_061023.jpg
A lot of building projects around us
A lot of building projects around us
 
Rufaro Makamure
pollinator
Posts: 884
Location: Zimbabwe
817
greening the desert
  • Likes 10
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I am preparing for my meeting with mai Kumbi. I will be showing her the plants in the keyhole garden and how healthy looking they are, without any commercial fertilizers or sprays. I also hope to show her how we can utilise our space to the maximum, by never leaving the land we have idle, after harvesting. The rats couldn't get into the spinach patch, so I have the healthy spinach leaves to show case as well as beetroots. Within the beetroots, I put peas today, that I have nursed in tissue roll cores. When I am harvesting the beets, something will remain growing in their place, that way there won't be a time when the space has nothing growing on it.

I have also grown sweet potatoes in sacks and I  am trying out ginger which I put in an old TV case. Within the sweet potato bags, I put dill, and parsley and then I grew lettuce in the ginger pot. A tomato plant grew on it's own and I am letting grow.
20261008_091357.jpg
[Thumbnail for 20261008_091357.jpg]
20261008_091405.jpg
[Thumbnail for 20261008_091405.jpg]
20261008_091423.jpg
[Thumbnail for 20261008_091423.jpg]
20261008_091550.jpg
[Thumbnail for 20261008_091550.jpg]
20261008_091823.jpg
[Thumbnail for 20261008_091823.jpg]
 
Rufaro Makamure
pollinator
Posts: 884
Location: Zimbabwe
817
greening the desert
  • Likes 9
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
The visual worked!!!
Mai Kumbi was drawn more to the spinach and how big the leaves are. I was honest with her about how I felt and things were a little difficult to handle at first and mai Kumbi was panicking. I told her we should be comfortable to criticize each other for the sake of progress. I am not used to this too, and I had to fight the urge to want to be nice by sugar coating how I truly felt. I was kind though, well I think. In the end we agreed that she will work on her space and we will work on ours and see how things go. We are past pushing each other, I am working on my personal shift of mindset, in the way I am involved in the growing of things at the plot, so we are both battling our issues, no one is going to have time to follow the other up.

Again our revenue increased. I was afraid that she is putting some of the money she is making from her flowers so as to impress me, because the area she left with plants growing is so small. She swore she was not taking money from anywhere. I really hope she is telling the truth, because if she isn't whatever I am celebrating will be false growth.
 
When evil is afoot and you don't have any arms you gotta be hip and do the legwork, but always kick some ... tiny ad:
a new overhaul of the freeheat page - need feedbacks for world domination
https://permies.com/t/389799/overhaul-freeheat-page-feedbacks-world
reply
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic