Does anyone know if rabbits can eat spent mushroom substrate? We grow some oyster mushrooms here, and we have a lot of spent substrate, which is basically wheat straw that has been pre-digested by the oyster mushrooms. The pigs eat it just fine, but I wonder if rabbits can? It could be a big step towards integrating the 2 systems.
Location: Lower Mainland British Columbia Canada Zone 8a/ Manchester Jamaica
posted 8 years ago
I couldn't find anything on the internet, the closest was feeding rice straw to ruminants. I can conceive of mushroom waste as silage without the bacteria, but I don't see it as a whole enough food. There is good hay and bad hay, I don't see it as great silage but a reasonable binding and bulking agent.
If I had some I would definitely like to try it, rabbits are mini ruminants there just not as grand on eating gruel forage perpetually without getting ill.
Men call me Jim. Women look past me to this tiny ad: