Loxley Clovis wrote:"The chair’s sinuous curves look organic, but were all painstakingly specified with CAD software and 3-D printed as hollow skins using a corn-based bioplastic. Pellets made from straw filled the cavities and a starter solution of liquified spores was fed into the construct. Over a period of five days the eukaroytes fed off the nutrients in the straw and infiltrated the tiny gaps between the straw pellets and plastic skin, acting like an organic glue that bound the chair together and transformed a flimsy husk into a sturdy household item. Tiny perforations in the surface gave way and allowed mushrooms to sprout, creating an unplanned organic upholstery. ...
Klarenbeek imagines a future where everything from our homes to our furnishings could be manufactured locally and sustainably—using mushrooms. 'We can 3-D print both the house, insulating structure and its skin at once,' he says. 'By combining 3-D printing and mycelium, the applications are endless.'" - No Shiitake, This Chair Is Made of Mushrooms, by Joseph Flaherty, Wired.com, 9:30 AM, 12.03.13.
Sarah Koster wrote:I want to eat these but I'm afraid I'll die.
Deb Stephens wrote:
Loxley Clovis wrote:
Folks should always be aware when eating anything -not just in the fungi kingdom- from the wild. For example, a novice forager might not know the identity & poisonous properties of hemlock (conium maculatum) or a blowfish (tetraodontidae).
This is very important! Last year I finally made my husband understand that the so-called "cow parsley" invading our old garden area was, in fact, poison hemlock. I had to pick leaves and stems from several related plants (all looking like, or actually, parsley) and point out the minute details of each--then show him a couple of youtube videos I found on the dangers of misidentifying hemlock before he would give in and admit he was wrong. It isn't that I wanted to be right, but that I did NOT want to be dead! Apparently, he had actually added a few small leaf-tips from the hemlock to a wild salad he picked one evening!!! (Without telling me.) I'm really not sure why we were not poisoned, but all I can figure is that the growth was brand new and at the very top of the plant--maybe the toxin was not strong enough there to affect us. I know that many toxic plants, like pokeweed, for example, can be eaten sparingly if you limit intake to the small, new leaves or leaf tips AND consume very small quantities. However, I do not plan to repeat that particular experiment, and now my husband won't either!
Akhobd Nabee wrote:
I'm from north Pakistan k2 mountain range.
I have rare and different kinds of mashrooms.
Will share you here.