This is a badge bit (BB) that is part of the PEP curriculum. Completing this BB is part of getting the sand badge in earthworks.
We are going to add a tiny bit of edge next to a berm or hugelkultur bed. A very small pond that will probably fill up with "stuff" and disappear in a few years - but that little bit of diversity will remain for decades.
You will build and seal a very small pond. Very, very small. Stupid small. But easy! Very, very easy. And small. And sealed!
There are several ways to make a pond hold water. For this BB, we will emulate a pig wallowing and the hooves compacting.
To get your creative juices flowing, here's compacting with feet and water at the Krameterhof:
Make a hole in the ground that is 2 feet in diameter and at least a foot deep.
- build at the foot of a berm or hugelkultur
- pour in 5 gallons of water and prove that the water is gone in less than 10 minutes
- compact the soil (probably with different kinds of digging bars, or a piece of rebar stabbed into the hole a hundred times)
- repeat the 5 gallon test with water remaining for at least an hour
To get certified for this BB, post:
- either a series of pictures or a video that is less than 60 seconds
- show the new hole
- show how long it took to drain 5 gallons
- show the compaction process
- show the new 5 gallons going in
- show a toothpick marking the water line once the water is in
- show another toothpick marking the waterline five minutes later
- show that the water level has not dropped more than a half inch in an hour
Can't .... do .... plaid .... So I did this tiny ad instead:
2019 ATC (Appropriate Technology Course) in Montana