• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
permaculture forums growies critters building homesteading energy monies kitchen purity ungarbage community wilderness fiber arts art permaculture artisans regional education skip experiences global resources cider press projects digital market permies.com pie forums private forums all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
master stewards:
  • Carla Burke
  • John F Dean
  • r ranson
  • Nancy Reading
  • Anne Miller
  • Jay Angler
  • paul wheaton
  • Pearl Sutton
  • Nicole Alderman
master gardeners:
  • Christopher Weeks
  • Timothy Norton
  • Matt McSpadden
  • Rachel Lindsay
  • Jeremy VanGelder

Homesteading Aspect Oddball Thread

BB homesteading - straw badge
Posts: 1867
Location: Japan, zone 9a/b, annual rainfall 2550mm, avg temp 1.5-32 C
kids home care trees cooking bike woodworking ungarbage
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
You've been busy Mike! I envy your workshop.

On the bucket, I couldn't see how you joined the staves. You said screwed together? Where are they joined? From the bottom/base into the staves?

Also, this bucket is meant for rice, not to be water tight correct?
Posts: 15200
Location: Northern WI (zone 4)
hunting trees books food preservation solar woodworking
  • Likes 2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Thanks L!  I wish I got more BBs while setting the workshop up :(

I added some more notes to that submission.  You can see where the screws went in in the "rounded edge" photo.  The bottom is also screwed on but that's to hold it on, not to hold the staves together.  And yes, this "bucket" isn't meant to be water tight.  It just has to hold grains of rice while we dance on them to dehull them.
Posts: 380
Location: Zone 7a
kids rabbit chicken food preservation fiber arts
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Approved submission
In my bathroom I didn't have an exhaust fan. I fixed that. I posted the inside install as the Electrical bit for Install a Light Fixture.
I started outside

I started with a battery powered drill first. LOL. This worked much better.

I used a hammer and junk bolt to persuade some chunks out.

That let me extend a drill bit all the way through the insulation in the attic. I finished up from in there.

I thought the self tapping screws that I had, which said they are good for masonry would work here. They did not and I didn't have a masonry drill bit that size. So, leftover sealer it is.

Up in the attic installing the duct.

This light is going away.

In the attic that light is in an uncomfortable place. It involved balancing on my stomach across some beams.

I marked the spot for the box and used a oscillating tool to cut the ceiling.

All wired up.

Duct connected.

Finishing from the bathroom.


Staff note (gir bot) :

Someone approved this submission.
Note: Certified for 2.5 points

I brought this back from the farm where they grow the tiny ads:
full time farm crew job w/ housing
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic