I wish to make it clear that I like the idea of promoting lots of things in lots of ways here.
I like the idea of promoting:
web sites / blogs / youtube channelsproductsworkshopsconvergences/conferencesPDCsbooksDVDS/videoskickstartersgroupsseeds and startssingles adsreal estateand lots lots more
Some web sites (and especially forums) want to make it seem like there is nothing in the world except for that one site. I, on the other hand, like the idea that permies.com is packed with information about every other permaculture
and homesteading site in the world. And I fully embrace the idea that this site is a community
for a certain flavor of odd ducks, while there are a thousand other sites that serve other flavors of odd ducks. We are one community out of many. And we like knowing about all the others. I want permies to be the richest place to find out about workshops and PDCs all around the world.
and other social media sites are making it progressively more and more difficult to let your audience know about your stuff unless you fork out oodles of money. You could have thousands of followers on your page, and only 300 of them see your post unless you pay to boost
it. Permies is not like that at all. In fact, I feel both free
(and not-free) advertising
efforts will go a lot farther here on permies than elsewhere.
First, be aware of all the free advertising you can do here at permies.com:
make a media rich thread about your organization/website/book/thing/whatever
- if you buy a piece of pie, you can add your thread to more forums
- every reply to your thread, bumps it to the top of our home page!
- reply to it every few days with new info or videos about your thing
- put our social media icon on your site and link it to your thread so it gets bumped more!
- in time, your thread could become "best" and appear permanently on a forum pageoffering freebies to our pie people gets you listed to our heavily advertised pie program!put a link to your stuff in your signature and write lots of excellent posts!offer stuff in our book/dvd/event/pie promotionsget your stuff lined up for a review. Provide some of your stuff to our reviewers: book reviews or product reviewsgive your stuff to some of our staff and hope that they talk about it a lotcheck out our paid advertising stuff below and arrange a media trade. Banner-for-banner, or mailing-list mention for mailing-list mention, etc.if we like your stuff, and you set it up in our digital market with a 40% affiliate fee, we might advertise the hell out of it.some stuff in our digital market qualifies to be in our dailyish freebie list - which mysteriously seems to end up being soldsome stuff in our digital market qualifies to be in our future kickstarters - some of which we pay for
Oodles of details here
How to avoid looking like a spammer:
Make one thread about your service/product/event. Make this thread look nice and professional using formatting tags, and post replies, updates, new pictures, etc to that thread. Multiple threads saying the same thing look spammy.Add your one thread to multiple forums by using PIE &/or Thread Boost. This allows your thread to show up in multiple forums. Make your thread a wiki. This allows you to edit whenever you like to add new pictures or update information. You can make a post a wiki through the "wiki" tab when you compose or edit your post. The "wiki" tab is next to the attachments tab where you add pictures.Refrain from posting about your product/event/service on other people's threads unless it makes sense. If you make a lot of posts about your service on other people's threads, especially in a row, we will assume you are a spammer and your posts will be deleted. Add your link to your signature, and post only about your service/product/event when it is very relevant and helpful to the conversation.
The paid stuff:
We have been having massive success with thread boost. You create a thread for each product, or about your company, and then use a toolset to boost the thread. It is a technique that fits well with our users - and now they learn about your products and your business as it is comfortable to them.banners at the top of the forums, plus get in on the big list which is linked to from every page
- a 75% discount on impressions for linking to your permies.com thread instead of your siteBuy Thread Boost on a thread you've made here on permiessponsorship in the podcastsa paragraph or so in the daily-ish email
- a 75% discount for linking to your permies.com thread instead of your sitea "tiny ad" in the daily-ish email
- a 75% discount for linking to your permies.com thread instead of your sitein-forum links
- a 75% discount for linking to your permies.com thread instead of your sitebanners/offers throughout the content at richsoil.comproducer credits/mention in upcoming youtube videosarrange to do a product giveaway or book giveaway and have a mention of your product/book at the top of the forums all week, and a mention in our weeklyish email (which goes out to over 63,000 people)run your video at the top of our forumswe might be convinced to add a bumper sticker for youadding magic love to your thread so it gets more attentionadding a mention of your product in wiki pages that can only be edited by staffDo a lot of the free stuff for youbuy pie and give it out to folks that mention how great your stuff isbuy pie and give it out to folks that might like you and your stuff
allows you to choose exactly how you want to promote your thread about your business/event. There's options for every price point. Here's just some of the options:
Similar Threads--have your thread show up on multiple related threads in their "similar threads" sectionAuto-link--Select a word or phrase, and a ‘look-up’ will be done to find out how many threads contain that phraseAdd to more forums--Add your thread to one or more other related forums.DX5 ads -- DX5 ads are the tiny ads that appear at the bottom of every thread. You can chose the wording of your ad, how often it shows up, where it shows up, and a lot more!Tiny ads for emails--DX5 tiny ads in all of the emails that get sent out....and many more options!
Find out more here!
DX5 - Self Service In-Thread Ad Terminal
This service we're allows you to create your own simple ad, right down to the number of impressions. Simply enter the information into the online form, submit payment through Paypal, and your ad will immediately start running.
Here's what these ads usually look like:
They appear at the bottom of a thread, with a random line of what we call 'silly text'. The original version, DX1, was just that simple, however, DX5 has conversion rate optimization built into the software. As your add runs, the CTR is tracked alongside the text that is run with your ad. The text with the most effective CTR gets run the most, and the process continues to sharpen and fine tune itself.
To create one of these ads, click here.
If you have a web site and you would like to do some media trade, please contact gir at richsoil.com
If you are all ready to part with coin, please email paul at richsoil.com