• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
permaculture forums growies critters building homesteading energy monies kitchen purity ungarbage community wilderness fiber arts art permaculture artisans regional education skip experiences global resources the cider press projects digital market permies.com private forums all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
master stewards:
  • Nicole Alderman
  • Anne Miller
  • Pearl Sutton
  • r ranson
  • Mike Haasl
  • James Freyr
stewards:
  • paul wheaton
  • Joylynn Hardesty
  • Burra Maluca
garden masters:
  • Steve Thorn
  • Greg Martin
gardeners:
  • Kate Downham
  • Jay Angler
  • thomas rubino

The Show Me Remedies That Work Discussion

 
Posts: 167
Location: Missoula
59
hugelkultur forest garden books earthworks wofati composting toilet food preservation building medical herbs rocket stoves homestead
  • Likes 9
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
A few days ago, I fell and fractured the left arm in two places, horizontally lower and vertically higher, plus a bonus bone chip.  That stinks for lots of reasons ^.^  But, usually I forget before and after pictures.  This time I remembered!  Go me.

Iced often the first 48 hours.  When the bruising kicked in, I remembered onions and sea salt.  I couldn't wrap a poultice all around like needs to be done (with help yes, not alone), so I put a small poultice where it hurt most, and where the right hand can reach to keep it in place if it slipped.  Left it on for 24 hours.

In these images the cool stripe down the middle is possibly more apparent to me because I can see where I can't hold the camera for a better shot.  Maybe tomorrow.... this one-handed stuff bites.  There is continued bruising on the inside, but I can't raise my arm to show it.  Boo.  The best part is bruising diminished when it should be worsening.

Now when I suggest onions and sea salt for bruising to a doctor, I can PROVE it between the discharge papers and time stamped images :)  Anecdotal my behonkus!  

There is still a fair amount of swelling, seems like almost twice the normal size of my arm, but it is way down from a few days ago.  If I weren't busy with errands I would put another poultice on, but it doesn't smell like flowers and I have to deal with flowery people.
bruises-onion-sea-salt-48-hours-after-fall-then-24-hours-after-poultice-72-hours-total.png
[Thumbnail for bruises-onion-sea-salt-48-hours-after-fall-then-24-hours-after-poultice-72-hours-total.png]
 
Posts: 7358
Location: Ozarks zone 7 alluvial,black,deep clay/loam with few rocks, wonderful creek bottom!
1270
  • Likes 8
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Oh, Catherine...so sorry for your broken arm
...and what a wonderful illustration of a home remedy that works.

I do not have any pictures but years ago when my mom lived with us, a bite appeared on her leg that the home health nurses and anyone else who saw it said was a recluse bite (which we knew were in the house).  They were freaking out about what to do and my friend who was making echinacea tinctures at the time brought us some to try.  In just a few days of applying the tincture a few times a day to some gauze taped to her leg, all signs of the bite were gone!   It is my go to for a topical remedy for insect bites of all sorts.

Again no pictures but I was amazed how quickly a fresh root and leaf comfrey poultice helped the swelling and pain of a badly sprained ankle ten years ago.



 
pollinator
Posts: 4958
1126
transportation duck trees rabbit tiny house chicken earthworks building woodworking
  • Likes 2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
A few years ago I had an infected tooth pulled, and ended up getting dry socket which is incredibly painful. It has been said that it is more painful then child birth even...yeah that painful.

It was a long holiday weekend and all I had was pain relievers that were not touching it. The idea of clove oil came up, Walgreens was open on Christmas, and suddenly the pain was GONE. A few drops and life was bearable again.
 
pollinator
Posts: 1438
Location: 4b
304
dog forest garden trees bee building
  • Likes 3
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Catherine Windrose wrote:A few days ago, I fell and fractured the left arm in two places, horizontally lower and vertically higher, plus a bonus bone chip.  That stinks for lots of reasons ^.^  But, usually I forget before and after pictures.  This time I remembered!  Go me.

Iced often the first 48 hours.  When the bruising kicked in, I remembered onions and sea salt.  I couldn't wrap a poultice all around like needs to be done (with help yes, not alone), so I put a small poultice where it hurt most, and where the right hand can reach to keep it in place if it slipped.  Left it on for 24 hours.

In these images the cool stripe down the middle is possibly more apparent to me because I can see where I can't hold the camera for a better shot.  Maybe tomorrow.... this one-handed stuff bites.  There is continued bruising on the inside, but I can't raise my arm to show it.  Boo.  The best part is bruising diminished when it should be worsening.

Now when I suggest onions and sea salt for bruising to a doctor, I can PROVE it between the discharge papers and time stamped images :)  Anecdotal my behonkus!  

There is still a fair amount of swelling, seems like almost twice the normal size of my arm, but it is way down from a few days ago.  If I weren't busy with errands I would put another poultice on, but it doesn't smell like flowers and I have to deal with flowery people.



Could you tell exactly how it is done?  Do you just put sea salt and onions in a cloth and wrap it around the bruise?  I've never heard of this but the pictures are very impressive.
 
gardener
Posts: 956
284
personal care gear foraging hunting rabbit chicken cooking food preservation fiber arts medical herbs homestead
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Yikes, Catherine! I'm sorry for your injury! No shoveling, or kneading bread, for you! I hope the bone heals as fast as the bruise! I didn't know about the saly & onions, so I'd have gone with arnica oil, or my oil blend, 'Deep: Intense'. But, I never think to take pics of mine, lol. I got pics of hubs ' tummy, when the grindstone broke, up at his forge, and took a chunk out of him - but, I don't have his permission to share it, lol.
 
pollinator
Posts: 157
25
dog trees books bee medical herbs
  • Likes 5
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Oh my goodness, that sounds terrible! Don't forget about comfrey:
https://remedygrove.com/remedies/How-to-use-Comfrey-to-Heal-Broken-Bones

May you heal quickly!
 
Catherine Windrose
Posts: 167
Location: Missoula
59
hugelkultur forest garden books earthworks wofati composting toilet food preservation building medical herbs rocket stoves homestead
  • Likes 9
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Trace Oswald wrote:Could you tell exactly how it is done?  Do you just put sea salt and onions in a cloth and wrap it around the bruise?  I've never heard of this but the pictures are very impressive.



Yep.  And if, as in my case, only one hand is usable, I managed to carefully chop onion with one hand, ran a pizza wheel slicer over the onion until it was in smaller pieces.  Got the onion into a small ziploc bag, then stepped on it until the onion was juicy.  Added the sea salt, smushed the bag until the onion and sea salt were mixed. Put it all in a washcloth.  Laid it across the worst area and held it in place with the arm brace.  Let it sit for 24 hours and *poof* bruises gone where the poultice was :)  Day 5 and I can type with both hands now if a little slow :)
 
master pollinator
Posts: 192
60
hugelkultur dog fungi trees books cooking food preservation bee medical herbs rocket stoves wood heat
  • Likes 3
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
May you heal quickly!

microcrystalline hydroxyappetite + Silica + MSM + Comfrey + Arnica (gel and/or homeopathic)

Wanted to get this up quickly.

Leaving now but will post more later.

Blessings . . . .
 
Posts: 164
Location: London, UK
38
personal care medical herbs ungarbage
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
If this is a general successful home remedies thread, then I'd like to share this sure fired cure for a cold sore on the lips.

It relies on catching it at the initial stage, i.e. when you first feel your lip start to tingle .  It then is 100% successful!

It's simple, when you feel your lip start to get that familiar tingly sign of a forthcoming cold sore, simply place an icecube on it and keep it there until the lip feels numb....won't take long.
This freezing kills the virus stone dead!
 
gardener
Posts: 1488
Location: Cascades of Oregon
57
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Was zoning out mindlessly browsing You Tube Homesteading clips and came across a couple talking about Moringa helping with his knee pain. What the heck I'm on the Kindle threw it in the cart. Now I'm thinking it is working anybody else tried Moringa and had favorable results?
 
Posts: 33
Location: Rocky Ripple, IN
6
forest garden foraging medical herbs
  • Likes 3
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Perhaps one of my favorite remedies is Plantain (Plantago major or P. lanceolata). I have seen miraculous results using it for infected and irritated tissues. I have often used it to pull out splinters that wouldn’t budge, along with the associated inflammation and yuck. Any cut, burn or bite always gets Plantain, usually salve, but a leaf lightly bruised and applied directly works wonders too. Good for gum and tooth issues too.
Once, I had a stye that had swollen my eye shut and made it quite painful. I was working with kids that day at a wilderness academy and thought I’d peak their curiosity by applying a Plantain leaf under my affected eye. I figured it might ease the pain a little and did it mostly to get them interested in plant medicine. But lo and behold, about 4 hours later, there was no pain, the swelling was gone and I could see clearly. I think I applied one more leaf later and the stye was no more!
Even the stuff the doctor prescribes for styes never worked that fast!
So when in doubt, I always reach for the Plantain.
 
master steward
Posts: 2805
Location: USDA Zone 8a
757
dog hunting food preservation cooking bee greening the desert
  • Likes 2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Catherine, I don't have any picture though I remembered this thread that might help with your fracture:

https://permies.com/t/63586/kitchen/Broken-bone-fractured

suggestions for medicinal herbs that will help with the pain or speed healing. From a different thread on here, I see a suggestion of eating yarrow leaves or making tea from them to help speed the healing of broken bones. They say boneset is a common name.



Best wishes for a speedy recovery.
 
Posts: 70
Location: Chicago
10
forest garden foraging urban cooking food preservation
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Travis Johnson wrote:A few years ago I had an infected tooth pulled, and ended up getting dry socket which is incredibly painful. It has been said that it is more painful then child birth even...yeah that painful.

It was a long holiday weekend and all I had was pain relievers that were not touching it. The idea of clove oil came up, Walgreens was open on Christmas, and suddenly the pain was GONE. A few drops and life was bearable again.



When I had wisdom teeth pulled, my surgeon gave me clove-laced gauze as pain relief, definitely numbed the gums.
 
Warning! Way too comfortable! Do not sit! Try reading this tiny ad instead:
Heat your home with the twigs that naturally fall of the trees in your yard
http://woodheat.net
  • Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
Boost this thread!