• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
permaculture forums growies critters building homesteading energy monies kitchen purity ungarbage community wilderness fiber arts art permaculture artisans regional education experiences global resources the cider press projects digital market permies.com private forums all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
master stewards:
  • Nicole Alderman
  • r ranson
  • paul wheaton
  • Anne Miller
  • Mike Jay
stewards:
  • Jocelyn Campbell
  • Burra Maluca
  • Devaka Cooray
garden masters:
  • Dave Burton
  • James Freyr
  • Mike Barkley
gardeners:
  • Joylynn Hardesty
  • Greg Martin
  • Pearl Sutton

any ideas for book promotions? aka any books you wanna win?  RSS feed

 
steward
Posts: 3989
Location: Montana
336
bee books food preservation fungi
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I just realized I don't have any book promotions scheduled for after this week! I have had one scheduled every week for like the past 6 months so I just got used to just having one in the hopper!

anyways, any suggestions for good permaculture books we could do promotions for? the author only has to give up an hour or so for three days of the week. (they usually do more, but that is all we ask for)

lemme know!
 
gardener
Posts: 2555
151
bike books food preservation forest garden fungi trees
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Edible WIld PLants, by John Kallas. It's an amazing book about eating wild plants, many of them considered "weeds" and commonly found in alleys and backyards. He provides excellent ID and recipes.
John S
PDX OR
 
steward
Posts: 4538
Location: Zones 2-4 Wyoming and 4-5 Colorado
402
bee books forest garden fungi greening the desert hugelkultur
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Do we have a list of all of the ones that have been done so far, somewhere? Wouldn't want to suggest one that has already been done.
 
Posts: 141
Location: Zone 7a
7
books chicken duck
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I don't know if this one has already been done, but I was planning on purchasing http://www.amazon.com/The-Permaculture-Handbook-Farming-Country/dp/0865716668 the next time I went to purchase books so I suppose that would be my suggestion.
 
Cassie Langstraat
steward
Posts: 3989
Location: Montana
336
bee books food preservation fungi
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

John Saltveit wrote:Edible WIld PLants, by John Kallas. It's an amazing book about eating wild plants, many of them considered "weeds" and commonly found in alleys and backyards. He provides excellent ID and recipes.
John S
PDX OR



I emailed him back in september and he replied with interest and then when I replied to that I never heard back from him so I just sent him another fresh email and we will see what happens. fingers crossed.
 
Cassie Langstraat
steward
Posts: 3989
Location: Montana
336
bee books food preservation fungi
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Miles Flansburg wrote:Do we have a list of all of the ones that have been done so far, somewhere? Wouldn't want to suggest one that has already been done.



on this page there is a section called "stuff we have given to some people via this mailing list" and there is a big box of book covers. That hasn't been updated in probably a month or two, but it's definitely most of them.
 
Cassie Langstraat
steward
Posts: 3989
Location: Montana
336
bee books food preservation fungi
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Charles Kleff wrote:I don't know if this one has already been done, but I was planning on purchasing http://www.amazon.com/The-Permaculture-Handbook-Farming-Country/dp/0865716668 the next time I went to purchase books so I suppose that would be my suggestion.



I don't think it has been done Charles! That's awesome. I will contact my lady at New Society (the publisher for that book) and see if we can get Peter to do a visit. Thanks for the suggestion!
 
Posts: 114
Location: Ontario Canada, Zone 5b
9
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hey Cassie!

I actually found the recommendation for this book in a thread somewhere around here on permies, and I bought the book and am completely loving it. It may have been done before but just in case it hasn't I'll throw it out there:

http://www.chelseagreen.com/bookstore/item/the_smallscale_poultry_flock

Also - for anyone thinking about trying to grow veggies 365 days a year, this lady has done some interesting stuff! I also own this book so I have no bias, promise!

http://www.amazon.ca/The-Year-Round-Vegetable-Gardener-Matter/dp/1603425683

Some wishlist books for me are the books by Rick Austin on building a survival greenhouse and another one about building a survival garden and Brad Lancaster's water books that I saw through watching the home grown food summit vids.

hmm that's all I can think of for now but I'll post more if I come up with anything else.

 
Posts: 225
Location: San Diego, CA USA
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I will think about it but one pops into my mind right away:

Practically Wild
by Kevin Feinstein
Paperback $25: http://feralkevin.com/?page_id=1142
Ebook $10: http://feralkevin.com/?page_id=679
 
Posts: 299
Location: North Central New York
12
bee chicken food preservation forest garden tiny house woodworking
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Here are two for which I am waiting. They haven't been published yet but it should be soon.

“Toolkit for Climate Stabilization with Tree Crops” by Eric Toensmeier

“Coppice Agroforestry” by Dave Jacke and Mark Krawczyk
 
Cassie Langstraat
steward
Posts: 3989
Location: Montana
336
bee books food preservation fungi
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Vida Norris wrote:Hey Cassie!

I actually found the recommendation for this book in a thread somewhere around here on permies, and I bought the book and am completely loving it. It may have been done before but just in case it hasn't I'll throw it out there:

http://www.chelseagreen.com/bookstore/item/the_smallscale_poultry_flock



Working on my contacts at chelsea green right now. Normally we just have done books that were actually published by Permanent Publications in the UK but were just distributed by Chelsea Green, so we will see what happens there.


Also - for anyone thinking about trying to grow veggies 365 days a year, this lady has done some interesting stuff! I also own this book so I have no bias, promise!

http://www.amazon.ca/The-Year-Round-Vegetable-Gardener-Matter/dp/1603425683



just sent her an email


Some wishlist books for me are the books by Rick Austin on building a survival greenhouse and another one about building a survival garden and Brad Lancaster's water books that I saw through watching the home grown food summit vids.

hmm that's all I can think of for now but I'll post more if I come up with anything else.



sent him an email too.
 
Cassie Langstraat
steward
Posts: 3989
Location: Montana
336
bee books food preservation fungi
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Lisa Allen wrote:I will think about it but one pops into my mind right away:

Practically Wild
by Kevin Feinstein
Paperback $25: http://feralkevin.com/?page_id=1142
Ebook $10: http://feralkevin.com/?page_id=679



thanks, I just emailed him so we will see what he says.

Edit: He said yes! First week of may he will visiting us.
 
Posts: 34
Location: Central Coast, CA
3
building homestead trees
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hmmm... here's a few I heard about at PV2 that I think would be good candidates!

M. Kat Anderson - "Tending the Wild"

Scott Ogden - "Waterwise Plants for Sustainable Gardens 200 Drought-Tolerant Choices for all Climates" (especially applicable for the west coast)

Michael Phillips - "The Holistic Orchard"

James C Scott - "Seeing like a State" (from Toby Hemenways Liberation Permaculture talk, social permaculture but might be considered too political for a permies giveaway though I dunno)


and as a non-PV2 inspired candidates:

Dan Louche - "Tiny House Design & Construction Guide"

Some of Rob Roy's books, like "Mortgage Free", "Cordwood Building", and "Timber Framing for the Rest of Us"
 
Vida Norris
Posts: 114
Location: Ontario Canada, Zone 5b
9
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Niiice Cassie!

I think I am getting too big of a wishlist from watching all the stuff in home grown food summit - another one to add is the "botany in a day" by thomas elpel and also he made a really cool kids book to help them learn how to identify plants. These may have already been done before but have to put it on just in case. Gosh, there are too many awesome books out there!!!

http://www.hopspress.com/Books/Botany_in_a_Day.htm

 
Cassie Langstraat
steward
Posts: 3989
Location: Montana
336
bee books food preservation fungi
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Wes Cooke wrote:Hmmm... here's a few I heard about at PV2 that I think would be good candidates!

M. Kat Anderson - "Tending the Wild"

Scott Ogden - "Waterwise Plants for Sustainable Gardens 200 Drought-Tolerant Choices for all Climates" (especially applicable for the west coast)

Michael Phillips - "The Holistic Orchard"

James C Scott - "Seeing like a State" (from Toby Hemenways Liberation Permaculture talk, social permaculture but might be considered too political for a permies giveaway though I dunno)


and as a non-PV2 inspired candidates:

Dan Louche - "Tiny House Design & Construction Guide"

Some of Rob Roy's books, like "Mortgage Free", "Cordwood Building", and "Timber Framing for the Rest of Us"



thanks wes! I emailed kat, scott, and dan. the other ones are published by chelsea green, who I am discussing logistics with right now. so hopefully we will be able to do those ones as well.
 
Cassie Langstraat
steward
Posts: 3989
Location: Montana
336
bee books food preservation fungi
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Vida Norris wrote:Niiice Cassie!

I think I am getting too big of a wishlist from watching all the stuff in home grown food summit - another one to add is the "botany in a day" by thomas elpel and also he made a really cool kids book to help them learn how to identify plants. These may have already been done before but have to put it on just in case. Gosh, there are too many awesome books out there!!!

http://www.hopspress.com/Books/Botany_in_a_Day.htm



Yup! We actually did already do a botany in a day promotion.
 
Cassie Langstraat
steward
Posts: 3989
Location: Montana
336
bee books food preservation fungi
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Kat said this: Cassie, How thoughtful of you. I'm swamped with work and taking care of 2 elderly parents on top of that--so I can't do the forum. But thank you just the same.
Kat"

Darnit!
 
Posts: 321
Location: Pittsburgh PA
12
chicken duck forest garden fungi trees woodworking
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Tradd cotter, organic mushroom farming and mycroremediation. Awesome cancer fighting mushroom guy

David jackie, edible forest gardens.

Darrell frey, bioshelter market garden

City chicks, Patricia foreman

Audubon Id books.

Sepp.

Mark sheppard, restoration agriculture

my bible, ***the herb book, the natural bible, by John lust***

 
Cassie Langstraat
steward
Posts: 3989
Location: Montana
336
bee books food preservation fungi
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

chad Christopher wrote:Tradd cotter, organic mushroom farming and mycroremediation. Awesome cancer fighting mushroom guy



tried to get this guy back in like september but it fell through

David jackie, edible forest gardens.

Darrell frey, bioshelter market garden



those two have already been done

City chicks, Patricia foreman



great one! I sent her an email, we shall see what she says!

Audubon Id books.



is there a specific one?

Sepp.



doesn't speak english

Mark sheppard, restoration agriculture



already been done

my bible, ***the herb book, the natural bible, by John lust***



that one sounds really good but I couldn't find any contact information for him online anywhere, do you know where i would be able to find it?
 
Posts: 372
23
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I already bought the book, "Move Your DNA:Restore Your Health Through Natural Movement .
I think a interview with the author would be cool. She has authored several books and Roberta turned me on to her blog where she does product reviews. http://katysays.com
 
Cassie Langstraat
steward
Posts: 3989
Location: Montana
336
bee books food preservation fungi
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Mike Feddersen wrote:I already bought the book, "Move Your DNA:Restore Your Health Through Natural Movement .
I think a interview with the author would be cool. She has authored several books and Roberta turned me on to her blog where she does product reviews. http://katysays.com



Hmm, that one looks super interesting! What forum do you think it would best fit in?
 
Mike Feddersen
Posts: 372
23
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
A new category thread next to Food as Medicine... Movement as Medicine
I remember Katy saying something about how this stuff is on a level with the paleo movement but Goes even deeper at a cellular level and I would hate to see such good health information buried in the paleo thread.
 
Cassie Langstraat
steward
Posts: 3989
Location: Montana
336
bee books food preservation fungi
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Mike Feddersen wrote:A new category thread next to Food as Medicine... Movement as Medicine
I remember Katy saying something about how this stuff is on a level with the paleo movement but Goes even deeper at a cellular level and I would hate to see such good health information buried in the paleo thread.



well we aren't really creating any new forums at the exact moment, so we would need to fit it into one that already exists.
 
Mike Feddersen
Posts: 372
23
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Cassie my ass umption was you knew what I meant even if I fail in chat..ease. Forum "Living" Since the categories are alphabetical it will be one away from "food as medicine".

I think Katy would be a fun interview for you, she included her audible bloopers at the end of her audio book. I am glad to see even super educated geeks like her stumble on word pronunciations.
 
master pollinator
Posts: 291
Location: Colorado County, TX, USA. 8b/9a. Humid subtropical, drought & flood prone
66
cattle food preservation homestead trees ungarbage foraging
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Maybe Let the Water Do the Work: Induced Meandering, An Evolving Method for Restoring Incised Channels by Bill Zeedyk and Van Clothier?

http://streamdynamics.us/book/let-water-do-work-induced-meandering-evolving-method-restoring-incised-channels
 
Mother Tree
Posts: 10853
Location: Portugal
1435
bee bike books duck forest garden greening the desert solar tiny house wofati
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I merged your stuff with the following thread. I hope that is okay by you.
 
master steward
Posts: 13642
Location: Left Coast Canada
2886
books chicken fiber arts cooking sheep writing
  • Likes 2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I don't know if I saw it in a dream or if it was a real life thing. There was a thread where we can make suggestions for guest authors... you know where you have someone with a book come and visit the forum for a week and answer questions. That kind of thing.

Only now I can't find the thread, so I wonder if I just dreamt it.

One of my heros has just put out a new book. His work (both writing and real life action) has a great synergy with the philosophy of the permies.com site. It's his enthusiasm that made me want to learn more which lead me to permaculture which brought me here. His first book was so small and simple; yet it completely altered the course of my life. I wondered if this is the kind of thing you guys look for when inviting guest authors to hang out here.

Let me know if you want his particulars (and where you want them).
I'll be writing a review in the regular way, of course, once I have read his new book.

Also I didn't know where to post this question, so I err on the side of caution and chose this section. Mods, feel free to move it where it belongs or do whatever magic you feel is best.
 
Burra Maluca
Mother Tree
Posts: 10853
Location: Portugal
1435
bee bike books duck forest garden greening the desert solar tiny house wofati
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
If there isn't a thread, there probably should be. If I find it, I'll merge the threads together.

What is the book?
 
steward
Posts: 809
Location: Italy, Siena, Gaiole in Chianti zone 9
215
books forest garden trees woodworking
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I can post the book summary for now if you want? you've got me curious who's the author
 
r ranson
master steward
Posts: 13642
Location: Left Coast Canada
2886
books chicken fiber arts cooking sheep writing
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
The Power of Pulses by Dan Jason

I started the book thread, but feel free to improve the summery. It could also go in cooking subject if you like.

Books not out yet, but we can pre-order it from amazon, and Dan has it in his paper seed catalogue as well. The library has a huge number of holds waiting for it. 3 books on order and 40 odd holds, so if I go that rout, it's going to take a while for me to write a review.

It's not just his writing, but his other work that makes him a good choice for a guest author. He's one of the few people who sells seeds, but encourages people to save their own seed more. He's also majorly involved in the Seed and Plant sanctuary of Canada which is part seed bank, part seed lending service (for a fee).



In a slightly related question: Where are the guest authors announced? I never seem to know in time that they are coming. If I could know a week or two ahead of time, I can usually find a copy of their book then I can ask more questions. As it is, I seem to miss the announcement and don't have any good questions for them.
 
Cassie Langstraat
steward
Posts: 3989
Location: Montana
336
bee books food preservation fungi
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

R Ranson wrote:

In a slightly related question: Where are the guest authors announced? I never seem to know in time that they are coming. If I could know a week or two ahead of time, I can usually find a copy of their book then I can ask more questions. As it is, I seem to miss the announcement and don't have any good questions for them.



They are announced in the dailyish email, and there are banners at the top of permies that are set at a really high weight so they should show very often.

There hasnt been any promotions for a few weeks though, because we have been too busy being focused on other things. But if you want, we can contact him. Could you possibly find his email address and send it to me? Or just post it here?

 
r ranson
master steward
Posts: 13642
Location: Left Coast Canada
2886
books chicken fiber arts cooking sheep writing
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Cassie Langstraat wrote:

They are announced in the dailyish email, and there are banners at the top of permies that are set at a really high weight so they should show very often.

There hasnt been any promotions for a few weeks though, because we have been too busy being focused on other things. But if you want, we can contact him. Could you possibly find his email address and send it to me? Or just post it here?



Email address sent.

I'll have to keep a closer eye out for these promotions. Now I know where to look.

 
Miles Flansburg
steward
Posts: 4538
Location: Zones 2-4 Wyoming and 4-5 Colorado
402
bee books forest garden fungi greening the desert hugelkultur
 
r ranson
master steward
Posts: 13642
Location: Left Coast Canada
2886
books chicken fiber arts cooking sheep writing
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Burra Maluca wrote:R Ranson,
I have merged your topic into this topic. I hope that helps.



Thanks for the merge.
 
Lorenzo Costa
steward
Posts: 809
Location: Italy, Siena, Gaiole in Chianti zone 9
215
books forest garden trees woodworking
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
what about this one: the forest garden greenhouse
I should receive it tomorrow in my mail, I think it is very interesting.
 
Cassie Langstraat
steward
Posts: 3989
Location: Montana
336
bee books food preservation fungi
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Lorenzo Costa wrote:what about this one: the forest garden greenhouse
I should receive it tomorrow in my mail, I think it is very interesting.



I already emailed that guy and he never emailed me back.
 
Posts: 6794
Location: Arkansas Ozarks zone 7 alluvial,black,deep loam/clay with few rocks, wonderful creek bottom!
859
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Cassie, I wondered if you were able to get in touch with Tina Marie Wilcox, my herbalist friend? http://www.tinamariewilcox.com/herbalhome.html
 
Cassie Langstraat
steward
Posts: 3989
Location: Montana
336
bee books food preservation fungi
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Yeah but we couldn't really find a good time because she was extremely busy with herbal events.
 
Lorenzo Costa
steward
Posts: 809
Location: Italy, Siena, Gaiole in Chianti zone 9
215
books forest garden trees woodworking
  • Likes 2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I wrote to the editor for permission on using their cover image for the summary. This book from Peter McCoy seems strong and great stuff.
RADICAL MYCOLOGY: A TREATISE ON SEEING & WORKING WITH FUNGI
http://www.chthaeus.com/product-p/b-rmp.htm
 
Don't count your weasels before they've popped. And now for a mulberry bush related tiny ad:
2019 ATC (Appropriate Technology Course) in Montana
https://permies.com/wiki/101802/ATC-Technology-Montana
  • Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
Boost this thread!