• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
permaculture forums growies critters building homesteading energy monies kitchen purity ungarbage community wilderness fiber arts art permaculture artisans regional education experiences global resources the cider press projects digital market permies.com private forums all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
master stewards:
  • Nicole Alderman
  • r ranson
  • Anne Miller
  • paul wheaton
  • Joseph Lofthouse
stewards:
  • Mike Jay
  • Jocelyn Campbell
  • Devaka Cooray
garden masters:
  • Steve Thorn
  • Dave Burton
  • Dan Boone
gardeners:
  • Joylynn Hardesty
  • Mandy Launchbury-Rainey
  • Mike Barkley

Is this a Chokecherry? Tree identification

 
pollinator
Posts: 687
Location: 6a
176
hugelkultur dog forest garden trees woodworking
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Is this Chokecherry or Wild cherry?  This is a pretty little specimen out in the forest. If it's one of these two I'd love to propagate it.  The seed/ stone in my hand was in a tiny withered berry and it's the only one on the tree.

IMG_1500.JPG
[Thumbnail for IMG_1500.JPG]
IMG_1501.JPG
[Thumbnail for IMG_1501.JPG]
IMG_1506.JPG
[Thumbnail for IMG_1506.JPG]
IMG_1498.JPG
[Thumbnail for IMG_1498.JPG]
IMG_1502.JPG
[Thumbnail for IMG_1502.JPG]
IMG_1509.JPG
[Thumbnail for IMG_1509.JPG]
 
pollinator
Posts: 204
Location: Sask, Canada - Zone 3b
50
  • Likes 2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I'm thinking no for a chokecherry. Their leaves are bigger and more pointed at the end and less serrated from what I recall. Infact, if you scroll down you will see a related "chokecherry thread " with a thumbnail image

Chokecherries around here grow like a tree would, while your picture is more of a shruby thing. The leaf reminds me of a service berry, but the rest of the pics don't.

If you crack open a chokecherry seed, it gives off a "fruit punch" taste. They are also perfectly round, maybe 1/4 inch in size at most and a kind of dark pale white.

Hopefully someone with more expertise can assist you.

 
Scott Foster
pollinator
Posts: 687
Location: 6a
176
hugelkultur dog forest garden trees woodworking
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Jarret Hynd wrote:I'm thinking no for a chokecherry. Their leaves are bigger and more pointed at the end and less serrated from what I recall. Infact, if you scroll down you will see a related "chokecherry thread " with a thumbnail image

Chokecherries around here grow like a tree would, while your picture is more of a shruby thing. The leaf reminds me of a service berry, but the rest of the pics don't.

If you crack open a chokecherry seed, it gives off a "fruit punch" taste. They are also perfectly round, maybe 1/4 inch in size at most and a kind of dark pale white.

Hopefully someone with more expertise can assist you.



Thanks Jarret.  Maybe it's a wild cherry of some kind.  The black seed is actually a stone from the berry.  Because it's so late in the season I could only find one berry and it was shriveled.  The berry looked to be dark, maybe a purple.

I have no idea of how the fruit-set looked when fresh.   I was thinking some kind of cherry because of it having a stone versus seeds.
 
steward
Posts: 4374
Location: Northern WI (zone 4)
1088
hunting trees books food preservation solar woodworking
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
The leaves look a lot like a buckthorn to me.  

IF it's a choke cherry, one feature that narrows it down is that the berries are carried on a raceme.  That's a long stemlet with the berries hanging off of it on individual stems.  So if you pick one raceme, you'd get 10+ berries.  Buckthorn hold their berries on individual stems off of the main twig (like a cherry).  Most cherries I've seen have longer leaves than that.  But the bark does look cherryish to me.

I always recommend getting a couple berry identification books before trying to eat anything.  One I particularly like for the upper Midwest is "Wild Berries and Fruits Field Guide" by Teresa Marrone.  It fits in your pocket and is easy to take along on walks.
 
Scott Foster
pollinator
Posts: 687
Location: 6a
176
hugelkultur dog forest garden trees woodworking
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Mike Jay wrote:The leaves look a lot like a buckthorn to me.  

IF it's a choke cherry, one feature that narrows it down is that the berries are carried on a raceme.  That's a long stemlet with the berries hanging off of it on individual stems.  So if you pick one raceme, you'd get 10+ berries.  Buckthorn hold their berries on individual stems off of the main twig (like a cherry).  Most cherries I've seen have longer leaves than that.  But the bark does look cherryish to me.

I always recommend getting a couple berry identification books before trying to eat anything.  One I particularly like for the upper Midwest is "Wild Berries and Fruits Field Guide" by Teresa Marrone.  It fits in your pocket and is easy to take along on walks.




Thanks Jay!  Looks like I will have to wait until next year to find out what it is.  It appeared that the berry was on the twig but there was only one berry left and it was shriveled up.  

We are moving into fall and everything is losing leaves.  Just the shape of the bush makes me think I want it...much prettier in person than the pictures show I think.
 
Posts: 15
Location: PA
  • Likes 3
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I second buckthorn. Leaves, bark and plant habit all look right.
 
Scott Foster
pollinator
Posts: 687
Location: 6a
176
hugelkultur dog forest garden trees woodworking
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
You guys had me going with buckthorn.  I looked in my Field Guide to Trees of North America and it was really looking like the European Buckthorn.  

There are two things that make me question Buckthorn.  1.  Buckthorn has two or three stones in every fruit.  The fruit on this tree only has one stone. 2.

Check out the pics below of bark from both trees.

Choke-Cherry.jpg
[Thumbnail for Choke-Cherry.jpg]
 
Mike Jay
steward
Posts: 4374
Location: Northern WI (zone 4)
1088
hunting trees books food preservation solar woodworking
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Some buckthorns have a "thorn" at the end of the twigs.  While the lack of a thorn doesn't mean it isn't buckthorn, the existence of one would be a strong indicator.  Where in the world do you live?
 
Jarret Hynd
pollinator
Posts: 204
Location: Sask, Canada - Zone 3b
50
  • Likes 2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Do you have Aronia (black chokecherry) where you are? Even though there are some potentially matching characteristics like the Leaves, Seeds and Bark in your pics, I'm doubtful that's it since the one in your pic seems much bigger. But just thought I'd throw my hat in the ring.

They came up a lot in the web results when I was trying to identify the chokecherries in my area awhile ago.

---

I'd honestly taste the berry and see if you can identify it from the dried fruit. It might help

(I picked some dried service berries in late sept and they were crunchy, but still had their distinct taste.)

 
gardener
Posts: 1738
Location: Officially Zone 7b, according to personal obsevations I live in 7a, SW Tennessee
569
forest garden books food preservation cooking bee
  • Likes 3
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Umm. Please don't taste an unknown plant, or fruit, if you have not yet positively identified it. We need all available permies alive and well! This warning is coming from a self taught forager. Beware!

Oh, and I don't know what the tree/shrub is either
 
Jarret Hynd
pollinator
Posts: 204
Location: Sask, Canada - Zone 3b
50
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Joylynn Hardesty wrote:Umm. Please don't taste an unknown plant, or fruit, if you have not yet positively identified it. We need all available permies alive and well! This warning is coming from a self taught forager. Beware!

Oh, and I don't know what the tree/shrub is either



Well, I do mushroom hunt, so I understand your concern and it is sound advice that should be exercised. I personally would do it though, and I've read of other Permies member who have done similar(not that this means anything), as taking a micro nibble on a berry which can't really be confused with some other smaller poisonous plants (because of the large seed) is unlikely to be a problem.

Anyways, I'll agree he can identify it without having a taste of it :)  
 
Scott Foster
pollinator
Posts: 687
Location: 6a
176
hugelkultur dog forest garden trees woodworking
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Mike Jay wrote:Some buckthorns have a "thorn" at the end of the twigs.  While the lack of a thorn doesn't mean it isn't buckthorn, the existence of one would be a strong indicator.  Where in the world do you live?



I didn't see any thorns.  In NJ, a stone throw from PA and NY.   This tree is actually on a section of the Appalachian Trail really close to the New York Border.
 
steward
Posts: 4616
Location: Zones 2-4 Wyoming and 4-5 Colorado
441
hugelkultur forest garden fungi books bee greening the desert
  • Likes 2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Here is a picture of the cherry/chokecherry on my land in Wyoming. Growing along a creek bed in the aspen understory.

https://permies.com/t/27935/a/54570/thumb-DSCN2399.JPG


And our serviceberry just for comparison.

https://permies.com/t/27935/a/11244/thumb-landbush2.JPG
 
Scott Foster
pollinator
Posts: 687
Location: 6a
176
hugelkultur dog forest garden trees woodworking
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Jarret Hynd wrote:Do you have Aronia (black chokecherry) where you are? Even though there are some potentially matching characteristics like the Leaves, Seeds and Bark in your pics, I'm doubtful that's it since the one in your pic seems much bigger. But just thought I'd throw my hat in the ring.

They came up a lot in the web results when I was trying to identify the chokecherries in my area awhile ago.

---

I'd honestly taste the berry and see if you can identify it from the dried fruit. It might help

(I picked some dried service berries in late sept and they were crunchy, but still had their distinct taste.)



Thankks Jarret.  We do have Aronia Berry.  I actually have one in my yard that is immature.    I will do some research tonight and see what I can come up with.  
 
Scott Foster
pollinator
Posts: 687
Location: 6a
176
hugelkultur dog forest garden trees woodworking
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Thanks, Mile!  Doesn't look like either one, does it?  The leaves don't match.
 
Miles Flansburg
steward
Posts: 4616
Location: Zones 2-4 Wyoming and 4-5 Colorado
441
hugelkultur forest garden fungi books bee greening the desert
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Your welcome. I just don't know if there would be regional differences, different species, etc. that might come into play?
 
Look ma! I'm selling my stuff!
It's like binging on 7 seasons of your favorite netflix permaculture show
http://permaculture-design-course.com/
  • Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
Boost this thread!