This scaffold can be used for more easy access to plant or add organic matter to a berm or hugelkulter.
Paul details the process in this video, starting at 2:45.
You will need to do some basic joinery work, creating notches for the vertical and horizontal logs to fit together, and you may need another person positioning the log into place. A loose fitting joint will be fine for this project as long as the final product is stable.
Low quality wood is also fine to use, and this can be left in place to provide additional decaying organic matter for the future!
Be safe when using tools, work at your own risk, and enjoy building!
To get certified for this BB, post four pics or video (<2 min).
- Your chunks of wood that you are starting with
- Action pic about half way through
- Final product
- Indication of the strength and stability of the scaffold log. Examples could include:
- You standing on your log
- You and some friends sitting on your log
- Creative alternatives?
- Powered tools like drills are allowed for this BB
I've had some people say that this one is really hard to duplicate elsewhere.
I think that concern has some truth to it. But I also hope that there will get to be a thousand sites that have steep hugelkultur that can use some scaffolding like this and there will be lots more opportunity.
For now, it is just amazing how much a person learns from doing this, so I think this is a really good choice.
I have a rather steep portion of my hill that's a pain to walk up and down. I'm contemplating making one these scaffolds there eventually. Would that count? Are there minimum dimensions for the resulting scaffold? I could put one on my 4 foot hugel for my kids to use, but I'm not sure if that would count if it's scaled down to kid size.
Part A:First pic shows the new upright installed last night in front of the Fisher Price house. Second and third are my notches, carved mainly with chisel and mallet... seemed about as fast as the other 3 carving their notches with chainsaw, hatchet, etc. to get them where I thought they were pretty good and lined up.
Part B/next post will contain the pics of my horizontal log in the notches (Justin, Robbie and I manhandled mine into place.) I’ve really been enjoying this round wood work!
Yesterday we raised two hugel scaffolding verticals in order to allow us to install horizontals today. Cut the notches first in the vertical logs (one of mine/Robbies was very non-vertical). Made them quite narrow (1") and then eyeballed them to see how they lined up. Then widened them out to 3.5". The goal was to not cut in to the center of the vertical logs. Leave an imaginary 2x12" beam inside the log untouched.
Then I cut the horizontal to length and measured/laid out the tabs on one end. Then I had help getting it into place on that one side. I then scribed/laid out the other end. I didn't get both slots in the same plane, one was vertical, the other was more perpendicular to the slope. After a few adjustments, both sides fit.