That feeling that you can’t think may not be due to fatigue but to someone’s perfume or candle or dryer sheets they used. “You’re not getting old,” I want to tell my friends when they become forgetful and make jokes. You’ve been exposed to too much toxicity — I mean ‘fragrance.’”
This toxicity has affected me personally. About two years ago, American Airlines rolled out a new uniform that made over 5,000 employees sick. I’m one of those employees. That’s when I started studying toxic chemicals to understand what was happening to me and thousands of others who were made sick by a uniform — or, more precisely, the toxic chemicals used to treat the uniform to keep it wrinkle-free and more durable. Think formaldehyde, stain repellent, water repellent, etc.
The assumption of safety that most of us live under is false. [emphasis mine]
Sonja Draven wrote:
It is not just "chemical" sprays either. Somehow, people think if it's "natural" it shouldn't be a problem. People bathe in essential oils or burn incense and it's supposed to be a good thing. A woman broke a bottle of essential oil all over the floor at checkout a few weeks ago and thankfully I was notified before I stepped in it. But she hastened to assure me it was a lovely and natural and shouldn't be a problem for me. No, I don't want that on my shoes and therefore all over my car and my carpet at home... no idea how I will react and then I'm stuck with it.