• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
permaculture forums growies critters building homesteading energy monies living kitchen purity ungarbage community wilderness fiber arts art permaculture artisans regional education experiences global resources the cider press projects digital market permies.com all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
master stewards:
  • Nicole Alderman
  • raven ranson
stewards:
  • paul wheaton
  • Jocelyn Campbell
  • Julia Winter
garden masters:
  • Anne Miller
  • Pearl Sutton
  • thomas rubino
  • Bill Crim
  • Kim Goodwin
  • Joylynn Hardesty
gardeners:
  • Amit Enventres
  • Mike Jay
  • Dan Boone

Rocket Ovens DVD as HD Instant view  RSS feed

 
steward
Posts: 25175
Location: missoula, montana (zone 4)
bee chicken hugelkultur trees wofati woodworking
  • Likes 6
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator


This purchase includes:

   - the HD Streaming version of the Rocket Ovens DVD (2 hours and 16 minutes)

   - the HD Streaming version of the rocket oven Materials, Tools and Safety microdoc (20 minutes)


click here to buy the HD Streaming version for $20

click here to buy the tiny download version for $25

click here to buy the HD download version for $35





$20.00

Rocket Ovens DVD as HD Instant view
Buy access to this content
Seller paul wheaton
 
Posts: 17
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Does the $20 DVD have detailed plans on how to build the various rocket stoves? How to's and the like?
 
paul wheaton
steward
Posts: 25175
Location: missoula, montana (zone 4)
bee chicken hugelkultur trees wofati woodworking
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Mark Roberts wrote:Does the $20 DVD have detailed plans on how to build the various rocket stoves? How to's and the like?



No.  This DVD has a strong focus on rocket ovens, not rocket stoves.

While this DVD does not have plans, it does have very detailed instructions for making a rocket oven.

I hope that by the time the DVD comes out, there will be some detailed plans for sale also.


 
Posts: 9
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Thanks for all this good stuff.

Is the "Rocket Ovens Cooking Microdoc" a separate thing?
 
paul wheaton
steward
Posts: 25175
Location: missoula, montana (zone 4)
bee chicken hugelkultur trees wofati woodworking
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Kimi Iszikala wrote:Thanks for all this good stuff.

Is the "Rocket Ovens Cooking Microdoc" a separate thing?



All the kickstarter supporters will get it.  But the peeps that are coming here after the kickstarter will need to buy it separately. 

We have a new function in this software that I would like to try out where a person can upgrade to a package deal.  So maybe I will create a package that is "the rocket ovens super package" that will contain the rocket ovens video plus the 12 microdocs for something like $45 and people can "upgrade" to that.   Of course, that requires that we first get all the microdocs done. 

 
pollinator
Posts: 137
Location: Australia, Canberra
34
bee books dog fish forest garden
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Oh yeah, I have got the power.

Thanks very much.

I am starting to get the pieces ready.
 
Posts: 16
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

paul wheaton wrote:

Kimi Iszikala wrote:Thanks for all this good stuff.

Is the "Rocket Ovens Cooking Microdoc" a separate thing?



All the kickstarter supporters will get it.  But the peeps that are coming here after the kickstarter will need to buy it separately. 

We have a new function in this software that I would like to try out where a person can upgrade to a package deal.  So maybe I will create a package that is "the rocket ovens super package" that will contain the rocket ovens video plus the 12 microdocs for something like $45 and people can "upgrade" to that.   Of course, that requires that we first get all the microdocs done. 



Please also have a package that has just the 12 microdocs for those who already bought the Rocket Ovens DVD, and only needs the microdocs. Unless that is already what you meant. Thank you
 
paul wheaton
steward
Posts: 25175
Location: missoula, montana (zone 4)
bee chicken hugelkultur trees wofati woodworking
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
There is a brand new feature in our software to set up upgrades.  So I just now attempted to do this.  I was able to add two upgrades (one for tiny download and one for hd download).  I have no idea what it looks like, but i do see there is now a big link at the bottom of the hd streaming page.  Anybody wanna try it and tell me if it is working okay?
 
Jun Albert
Posts: 16
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hi Paul,

Just saw the link. Not as big (the link) as I thought as I didn't see it at first. But I still found it.

Thank you.
 
Posts: 7
Location: The Ozarks
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hi Paul,

Kudos to Tyler on his portion of the video.  It is extremely well done, crystal clear and easy to follow with sufficient details for the average handy person to build one himself.  The other parts of the video well not so much.

Is this the final version of the video?  I ask because the other sections of the video gloss over items like the tray supports and racks for the oven.  Yes you go over how you did it on an earlier version at wheaton labs, but I seen to recall hearing that this video was going to show how to build a complete rocket oven with no welding required.  There is little discussion of how to build a rack to support the oven.

Also the portion showing the construction of a J tube is not up to the same standard that Tyler set in three first part.  The materials are not detailed nearly as well and dimensions are minimal.  Please let me know if more details are forthcoming.

Thanks
 
Posts: 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Thank you for this very informative video!

I have some questions about the design, Is this the right tread for that? Of do you want to keep this confined to the DVD about the design instead of the design itself? If so please direct me to a more appropriate tread...

The build of the oven is very elegant. I love the way you use the treads in one of the inlets to mount the latch. What I was confused by is the way the outer barrel is cut. The lengthwise cut is placed at the top and then requires quite some fiddling to fix and make gas-tight-ish again. Why not do that at the bottom where you have to fiddle around to make the entrance for the heat riser anyway. presumably the hottest gasses got to the top where you want the outer barrel to be as sturdy as possible. Any reason I am overlooking for this choice?

While the oven is a thing of beauty is also looks absolutely massive. How would this design cope with downsizing to 2 30 gallon barrels? How much smaller would the J tube have to be to not overheat it?

Kind regards,

Xander

 
Posts: 3
Location: NW Negev in Israel
fungi greening the desert woodworking
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

paul wheaton wrote:There is a brand new feature in our software to set up upgrades.  So I just now attempted to do this.  I was able to add two upgrades (one for tiny download and one for hd download).  I have no idea what it looks like, but i do see there is now a big link at the bottom of the hd streaming page.  Anybody wanna try it and tell me if it is working okay?



Would someone let me know the URL of "the hd streaming page" so I can try to find the upgrades links?  Thanks a bunch!
 
paul wheaton
steward
Posts: 25175
Location: missoula, montana (zone 4)
bee chicken hugelkultur trees wofati woodworking
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Jun Albert wrote:Just saw the link. Not as big (the link) as I thought as I didn't see it at first. But I still found it.



I think the big link will appear further up, next to the premium stuff, in a week or two.



 
paul wheaton
steward
Posts: 25175
Location: missoula, montana (zone 4)
bee chicken hugelkultur trees wofati woodworking
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Ralph Kettell wrote:Hi Paul,

Kudos to Tyler on his portion of the video.  It is extremely well done, crystal clear and easy to follow with sufficient details for the average handy person to build one himself.  The other parts of the video well not so much.

Is this the final version of the video?  I ask because the other sections of the video gloss over items like the tray supports and racks for the oven.  Yes you go over how you did it on an earlier version at Wheaton Labs, but I seen to recall hearing that this video was going to show how to build a complete rocket oven with no welding required.  There is little discussion of how to build a rack to support the oven.

Also the portion showing the construction of a J tube is not up to the same standard that Tyler set in three first part.  The materials are not detailed nearly as well and dimensions are minimal.  Please let me know if more details are forthcoming.

Thanks



Ralph,

I agree that the stuff with Tyler was really good.  I think that the magic that happened there was a combination of Tyler and Dan (who took that bit of video, as well as edited it).   I like the idea of trying to get more projects done with this magic combination!

I think you will agree that of all the rocket oven DVDs, this one is the very best.  Partly because it is the only rocket oven DVD.  And partly because there are parts that are quite excellent.

The more details can be found here.

Perhaps in a couple of years, there will be more and more refinements to this design and we will get another chance to make an even better video.  Of course, it is difficult to make that leap with the question looming of "will anybody buy it?"

 
paul wheaton
steward
Posts: 25175
Location: missoula, montana (zone 4)
bee chicken hugelkultur trees wofati woodworking
  • Likes 2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Alexander,

I sent Tyler an email and asked him to have a look at your question.

 
paul wheaton
steward
Posts: 25175
Location: missoula, montana (zone 4)
bee chicken hugelkultur trees wofati woodworking
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

David Schutt wrote:

paul wheaton wrote:There is a brand new feature in our software to set up upgrades.  So I just now attempted to do this.  I was able to add two upgrades (one for tiny download and one for hd download).  I have no idea what it looks like, but i do see there is now a big link at the bottom of the hd streaming page.  Anybody wanna try it and tell me if it is working okay?



Would someone let me know the URL of "the hd streaming page" so I can try to find the upgrades links?  Thanks a bunch!



The upgrade link is on this page.  At the bottom of this thread.   it says "view upgrade options".



 
David Schutt
Posts: 3
Location: NW Negev in Israel
fungi greening the desert woodworking
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

paul wheaton wrote:

David Schutt wrote:

paul wheaton wrote:There is a brand new feature in our software to set up upgrades.  So I just now attempted to do this.  I was able to add two upgrades (one for tiny download and one for hd download).  I have no idea what it looks like, but i do see there is now a big link at the bottom of the hd streaming page.  Anybody wanna try it and tell me if it is working okay?



Would someone let me know the URL of "the hd streaming page" so I can try to find the upgrades links?  Thanks a bunch!



The upgrade link is on this page.  At the bottom of this thread.   it says "view upgrade options".





LOL! Well, so it does! Thanks, I wasn't looking way down yonder for the link until now!
 
Posts: 41
13
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Great video for the builing of the rocket oven !

Wonderful use of detail and great directions of how it all goes together on the oven part.

Is there anything that gives the dimensions for the j tube portion of the oven?

While I feel completely confident that I could build the barrels, insulation and exhaust part of the oven, I am also almost completely sure that any attempt that I made to construct the j tube heater for the oven would be a lost cause without dimensions for the firebricks and openings. Or are they the standard 6" j tube system dimensions?  I have Erica and Ernie's Builder's Guide so I could use the 6" dimensions from there if they are the same. Other than you said in the video that you had to shorten the heat riser and therefore the fuel feed.

And how short did they end up?

Sorry, but I know that you are a giant guy so it is hard to judge how tall the unit actually is compared to you when you're standing next to it.

Thanks for all you do !
 
paul wheaton
steward
Posts: 25175
Location: missoula, montana (zone 4)
bee chicken hugelkultur trees wofati woodworking
  • Likes 2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Penny,

I exchanged some emails with davin and i get the impression that he is going to put together some detailed plans for the j-tube.

 
Jun Albert
Posts: 16
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

paul wheaton wrote:Penny,

I exchanged some emails with davin and i get the impression that he is going to put together some detailed plans for the j-tube.



That is great to hear. Updating the current Rocket DVD plans by Including detailed J tube brick by brick plans to the Rocket Oven DVD plans, along with more details for the other parts of the oven, is a must for the plans to be complete.
 
Posts: 1124
Location: Central Wyoming -zone 4
9
chicken dog hugelkultur
  • Likes 2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
This video was great! I made sure to support at a level that gave me access to the previous 8 DVD set as well, have to say that this is definitely the best video so far, good quality video, concise instructions and I can tell that the video was the focus and not an afterthought, thanks for your work, Paul,  Dan and everyone else involved
 
Posts: 4
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
So. Paul.
Watched the rocket stove video.  Very nice. Thank you.
The issue you mention at the end is an easy fix. Here’s how. 
Rotate  the J-tube 90 degrees left or right, perpendicular to the stove, and leave it at the front. 
Have the exhaust/ heat access the barrel of the stove above the midway point of the barrel, ON THE SIDE.  Place a piece of metal, to form a
Spiral around the barrel 6-8 inches wide ( like a grain auger) that directs the heat from the j-tube over the barrel and around it in a spiral till it exits
Out the back.  If you have enough draw, there should be a NO problem.
The area in the rear behind the oven also has enough room for at least five to ten gallons of water, and the exhaust
can come out the back instead of the top, if more room is needed.
This solves the problem of uneven heat, short chimney and my lack of other contributions to the cause so far. 
I’ve used the rocket stove to great effect up here in Canada.( because I hated the constant management of the fire, I was able to place two 2x4s in the firebox of the j-tube, and walk away,  it burned slowly while the wood sunk into the fire — taking 4 hours for 44 inches approx.  The downside is that it didn’t always sink into the flame because thw wood was too light, and that is a safety issue).
As well, I experimented with small chimneys. Used an old style chimney liner that was about 4 inches in diameter. Got lots of heat.
Maybe experimenting with smaller J-tube diameters would be a positive thing.
Thanks
Boot Blyster
 
Posts: 9
Location: Edmonds, WA
3
  • Likes 3
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Alexander Rijkee wrote:Thank you for this very informative video!

I have some questions about the design, Is this the right tread for that? Of do you want to keep this confined to the DVD about the design instead of the design itself? If so please direct me to a more appropriate tread...

The build of the oven is very elegant. I love the way you use the treads in one of the inlets to mount the latch. What I was confused by is the way the outer barrel is cut. The lengthwise cut is placed at the top and then requires quite some fiddling to fix and make gas-tight-ish again. Why not do that at the bottom where you have to fiddle around to make the entrance for the heat riser anyway. presumably the hottest gasses got to the top where you want the outer barrel to be as sturdy as possible. Any reason I am overlooking for this choice?

While the oven is a thing of beauty is also looks absolutely massive. How would this design cope with downsizing to 2 30 gallon barrels? How much smaller would the J tube have to be to not overheat it?

Kind regards,

Xander



Hey Alexander, 

Sorry it has taken so long to answer this.  It's been about 2 weeks since I've been at a computer. 

Make sure to complement Tim Barker on the latch idea.  It's his idea (like all but very small details of the entire oven) and he's done a great job! 

Regarding the outer barrel and the placement of the extra bridge of metal to span the gap made by cutting it lengthwise, the placement of that bridge material is a little arbitrary.  I originally felt as you did that it would work best on the bottom, but what have found so far is that trying to deal with fitting that bridge material on the bottom in the same place as the opening for the heat riser ends up being a real pain.  Another reason I like having the bridge material for the outer barrel at the top is it seems stronger to me.  When I tried to put it on the bottom, all the weight of the oven and other materials ended up putting pressure on that bridge and putting stress on the connections, which I didn't like.  One of the beauties of this design is that there is enough heat from the J-tube that it isn't necessary to worry about saving every BTU humanly possible, and the design is such that you don't see a detectable difference in oven temperature based on the placement of the outer barrel bridge.  Since it seems structurally stronger on top, that's where I like to put it.  But the oven should still work fine regardless of where you choose to be best on your own oven, so feel free to play around. 

Regarding scaling things down, I don't have any direct experience on that myself, so everything from here on is guess work on my part.  It seems to me that it ought to work ok, but have some extra challenges.  You still need space around the inner barrel for exhaust to flow without getting choked up or blocked, and you will still need insulation around the outer barrel that will be the same thickness as for the larger version.  So It may not end up looking all that much smaller (I haven't measured anything out on that, so I might be surprised).  I'd have to check on a few things and talk to some colleges about scaling down the J-tube.  It might be easy, or it might be tricky, I haven't tried it.  But as the J-tube is already pretty small, it might be easier to use just run it with less wood in it instead. 

I hope this helps. 

Best wishes,
Tyler
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
how long will we keep access to the HD streaming versions?

I'm having massive problems trying to even play the vimeo videos, i emailed them but still haven't got a reply. When trying to view the videos on my tablet (android 4.4) i am getting error messages or the video plays 5 - 10 mins in and then my mobile data drops off for a second and the whole thing just crashes and i have to refresh the video. Where i am at the moment we don't have "wifi hotspots" because i'm in a small town and until i can find a more permanent block of land to rent and get ADSL i'm stuck with what i have.

If its not a permalink then is there any way to be able to upgrade to the download version on a server that supports resume?
 
paul wheaton
steward
Posts: 25175
Location: missoula, montana (zone 4)
bee chicken hugelkultur trees wofati woodworking
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Marshall Ashworth wrote:how long will we keep access to the HD streaming versions?



forever-ish.   It it programmed to be "forever", but ...  will there be internet in five years?


If its not a permalink then is there any way to be able to upgrade to the download version on a server that supports resume?



There is currently a way to upgrade to a download from this server. 

 
Marshall Ashworth
Posts: 7
forest garden solar tiny house
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

If its not a permalink then is there any way to be able to upgrade to the download version on a server that supports resume?



There is currently a way to upgrade to a download from this server. 




okay i might look at this, i can't even get through one watch online, i hesistate to try watch it again with the internet being like this.
Thanks duke !  ^_^
 
paul wheaton
steward
Posts: 25175
Location: missoula, montana (zone 4)
bee chicken hugelkultur trees wofati woodworking
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I suppose I should say that there is currently an upgrade so you can download from this server - and i have no idea what "supports resume" is.
 
Marshall Ashworth
Posts: 7
forest garden solar tiny house
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

paul wheaton wrote:I suppose I should say that there is currently an upgrade so you can download from this server - and i have no idea what "supports resume" is.



so that if the download gets interrupted (wifi / internet connection dies) the download resumes from where it left off of instead of restarting from the beginning
 
Blueberry pie is best when it is firm and you can hold in your hand. Smell it. And smell this tiny ad:
DIY solar dehydrator - have you built one?
https://permies.com/t/90672/DIY-solar-dehydrator-built
  • Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
Boost this thread!
permies Affiliates Program
Click here to learn how to be an affiliate for "Rocket Ovens DVD as HD Instant view", and start earning 50% of the sales it makes!