Win a copy of The Prairie Homestead Cookbook this week in the Cooking Forum forum!
  • Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
permaculture forums growies critters building homesteading energy monies kitchen purity ungarbage community wilderness fiber arts art permaculture artisans regional education skip experiences global resources the cider press projects digital market permies.com private forums all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
master stewards:
  • Nicole Alderman
  • r ranson
  • Anne Miller
  • Pearl Sutton
  • James Freyr
  • Mike Haasl
  • paul wheaton
  • Dave Burton
stewards:
  • Joylynn Hardesty
  • Jocelyn Campbell
  • Joseph Lofthouse
garden masters:
gardeners:
  • Carla Burke
  • Steve Thorn
  • Eric Hanson

Advice on a RMH build in Hokkaido Japan

 
gardener
Posts: 3159
Location: Southern alps, on the French side of the french /italian border 5000ft elevation
144
  • Likes 2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Peter Sedgwick wrote:

Looks like I’m gonna be on snow earlier than expected and the rocket project might have to go on the back burner for a bit.



Peter, what are you doing on snow?

Myself, i work as a chairlift operator, for Serre Chevalier. And i've been doing that for the past 26 seasons. Attacking my 27th this year!
We've had a dump last night, and, i hope they won't call me early! Still plenty to do for my business!

This morning was snow clearing. The wheels of the red toyota are 31 inches!



 
pollinator
Posts: 202
Location: Toyoura Hokkaido
39
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Satamax Antone wrote:

Peter Sedgwick wrote:

Looks like I’m gonna be on snow earlier than expected and the rocket project might have to go on the back burner for a bit.



Peter, what are you doing on snow?

Myself, i work as a chairlift operator, for Serre Chevalier. And i've been doing that for the past 26 seasons. Attacking my 27th this year!
We've had a dump last night, and, i hope they won't call me early! Still plenty to do for my business!

This morning was snow clearing. The wheels of the red toyota are 31 inches!





Thats a fair amount of snow for sure.

Yeah, got an offer to do some instruction and help with some guiding trough the holidays.
Bit last minute, but will help keep the dream alive, and I always love some time in the trees...

Peter

 
pollinator
Posts: 490
Location: Penticton, Canada
88
building woodworking rocket stoves
  • Likes 3
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hi Peter,   Sorry to hear about your bricks breaking up, but know with your creativity and perseverance, that you will find something that will work.
Liked your DIY paddle mixer. Good job. Would love to have known you as a kid. You probably made your own toys out of bits and bobs of things when others waited til birthdays or Christmas to get uncreative store made stuff.  
For me, I always keep about 1/4" of ash on the bottom of the feed tube and partially along the bottom of the burn tunnel to help insulate the bottom bricks. They are only cement patio pavers and have lasted for 6 years but are like yours, all cracked up and spalling but holding together still. One day I'll replace them. Look forward to your findings.
 
Posts: 107
12
  • Likes 5
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
This thread has been one of the most enjoyable ones I have read on permies.com so far. Between the pictures, the drawings, the dogs, and Mimi, it's been a huge pleasure! And, oh yes, also very educational! Just wanted to give a big thank you for all the sharing, Peter, and also to all the people that contributed their knowledge and advice. What a treasure the whole thing has been!
I'm looking forward to periodic updates. Meanwhile, enjoy the snow and the trees, Peter!
 
Peter Sedgwick
pollinator
Posts: 202
Location: Toyoura Hokkaido
39
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Gerry Parent wrote:Hi Peter,   Sorry to hear about your bricks breaking up, but know with your creativity and perseverance, that you will find something that will work.
Liked your DIY paddle mixer. Good job. Would love to have known you as a kid. You probably made your own toys out of bits and bobs of things when others waited til birthdays or Christmas to get uncreative store made stuff.  
For me, I always keep about 1/4" of ash on the bottom of the feed tube and partially along the bottom of the burn tunnel to help insulate the bottom bricks. They are only cement patio pavers and have lasted for 6 years but are like yours, all cracked up and spalling but holding together still. One day I'll replace them. Look forward to your findings.



Hey Gerry! Think the bricks are just part of the learning process. Still working so we’ll just sort it out when we can.

Always like to try to come up with new and fun ways to do stuff. Will keep going and see where it takes us.

Cheers Peter
 
Peter Sedgwick
pollinator
Posts: 202
Location: Toyoura Hokkaido
39
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Annie Collins wrote:This thread has been one of the most enjoyable ones I have read on permies.com so far. Between the pictures, the drawings, the dogs, and Mimi, it's been a huge pleasure! And, oh yes, also very educational! Just wanted to give a big thank you for all the sharing, Peter, and also to all the people that contributed their knowledge and advice. What a treasure the whole thing has been!
I'm looking forward to periodic updates. Meanwhile, enjoy the snow and the trees, Peter!



Thanks so much Annie.

Means a lot to all of us. The treasure is for everyone to share and learn. There’s always a new adventure right around the corner. For now I’m off to the forest.

Stay free... Peter, Mimi & Chimichanga
55CA9C0A-D991-4834-8B24-99AAEA7E8571.jpeg
[Thumbnail for 55CA9C0A-D991-4834-8B24-99AAEA7E8571.jpeg]
 
Peter Sedgwick
pollinator
Posts: 202
Location: Toyoura Hokkaido
39
  • Likes 4
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
So I’ve been away in the mountains for the past 5 days, and still am. However, Mimi has taken it upon herself to keep working on our new rocket. She went out a sourced some seasoned fire wood. Then went ahead and split it all by hand with an ax. Super impressed with her motivation on this. She’s  burning everyday and experimenting with different amounts and styles of burning.

Stove is far from finished and definitely still in bata mode, but it’s changed from an idea, to a drying pile of rocks, and now a working “tool”. One that she is learning to use on her own. She’s been sleeping on it every night with the dogs and says that, with the cushions and blankets, it keeps them all toasty till the morning.

This whole experience has ment a lot to us. Working together to build things, beginning to understand how we can use the natural world around us, and now Mimi learning on her own. We luck to have gotten this opportunity and thank everyone who has helped to make it possible.

Will keep updating and sharing, so we can all learn and find a brighter tomorrow.

Stay free...

Peter, Mimi and Chimichanga
4DF60D01-4FD6-4DD7-9E71-E383ECF57797.jpeg
[Thumbnail for 4DF60D01-4FD6-4DD7-9E71-E383ECF57797.jpeg]
Choppin wood
Mimi-s-fire.jpeg
Mimi’s fire
Mimi’s fire
Snowing-in-Hokkaido.jpeg
Snowing in Hokkaido
Snowing in Hokkaido
374A5C46-788E-49FC-9B54-E8658090B6BF.jpeg
[Thumbnail for 374A5C46-788E-49FC-9B54-E8658090B6BF.jpeg]
Warm inside
 
Gerry Parent
pollinator
Posts: 490
Location: Penticton, Canada
88
building woodworking rocket stoves
  • Likes 3
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hip Hip Hooray for Mountain Mimi !  ⚡  (✿◠‿◠)  ⚡
 
Just put the cards in their christmas stocking and PRESTO! They get it now! It's like you're the harry potter of permaculture. richsoil.com/cards
  • Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
Boost this thread!