• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
permaculture forums growies critters building homesteading energy monies kitchen purity ungarbage community wilderness fiber arts art permaculture artisans regional education skip experiences global resources cider press projects digital market permies.com pie forums private forums all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
master stewards:
  • paul wheaton
  • Anne Miller
  • Carla Burke
  • Nancy Reading
  • John F Dean
  • Timothy Norton
  • Jay Angler
stewards:
  • r ransom
  • Pearl Sutton
  • Tereza Okava
master gardeners:
  • Christopher Weeks
gardeners:
  • M Ljin
  • Megan Palmer
  • Kate Downham

Garden picture exchange!

 
pollinator
Posts: 3589
Location: Meppel (Drenthe, the Netherlands)
1252
dog forest garden urban cooking bike fiber arts
  • Likes 7
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Early morning photo of my front yard. 10th of April, the herbs in the 'herb spiral' are coming on well. Rosemary is even blooming, as is the Red Currant bush (but those flowers are barely visible).

 
Posts: 143
Location: Melbourne's SE Australia
17
foraging urban
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Wow,
I really enjoyed you garden pics, and its inspired me.

I am not allowed to build a structure on my urban block where I would like to.
So I have been day dreaming recently about making a LIVING structure, and trying to find ways of turning trees into sheds, or covered gatehouse or verandah etc.

So your deadwood huts and  frames have encouraged me to think LONG TERM and make the living structure from vines over trees or such.  All possible just need to be patient, design well and stay patient.

Anyone else done this I wonder.
 
Joyce Harris
Posts: 143
Location: Melbourne's SE Australia
17
foraging urban
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Wow, I just love the rustic-city! and calm your garden, and there appeared to be something familiar.
Then i noticed you from France, then the Ah Ha, that's it, I have enjoyed the rustic lavish French garden style for years, and now your garden. Thank you for sharing, despite these pics being years ago.


 
Joyce Harris
Posts: 143
Location: Melbourne's SE Australia
17
foraging urban
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Alex, I agree, to the point that I just posted that same thinking prior to reading your post.
There is a certain style about French farm gardens etc. I love it.
 
Posts: 116
12
  • Likes 4
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
From some years ago but had nice outcome.

Foto-0003.jpg
garden harvest
IMG_20180529_112356.jpg
 beautiful yellow roses
IMG_20180711_134739.jpg
zucchini, beets, and beans from the vegetable garden
IMG_20180711_134747.jpg
beautiful zucchini from the garden
IMG_20190722_160435.jpg
a bee visiting a sunflower
 
Posts: 42
Location: Western New York
15
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hi fellow artists!  We need some of your great artwork, photography and/or quotes to add to products on our new online Permies.com stores!

https://fineartamerica.com/profiles/permies and https://www.cafepress.com/permies

For more info on this please see this thread started by Mr. Wheaton: https://permies.com/t/174446/Throw-permaculture-art-pile-dedicated

You will need to grant permission for us to add your images, etc... to sell on products on the stores. However you are NOT giving up all your rights for your images/quotes, just "non-exclusive" rights for them to be used/sold on our store's products.

We can only use art/quotes that YOU fully have the rights to and created...not other people's art. The best images would be 300dpi and as large as you can provide us with...and if possble saved as a transparent PNG, but that is not written in stone!  Any of your works are greatly appreciated!

Again, please see this thread https://permies.com/t/174446/Throw-permaculture-art-pile-dedicated for where to send your art/quotes and "permission".

I can't wait to see what you all come up with!  Thanks again and God bless! Rose Santuci-Sofranko
Paul-Wheaton-Permies-Rules.jpg
Paul Wheaton Permies Rules graphic
 
pioneer
Posts: 190
Location: Hainault, Essex, England
44
trees tiny house earthworks food preservation building homestead
  • Likes 4
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hi Mark,
Thank you for your inspirational post encouraging people to show their gardens. I’m based is Essex in the UK. This is a video of life on my two organic allotments that I’ve had for about 7 years. At the moment I’m experimenting with a mandala permaculture design that’s working well. I shall post some pictures soon.
Best wishes,
Gemma

 
gardener
Posts: 1262
384
9
trees wofati rocket stoves
  • Likes 13
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
2023 Garden Goals:
urban-landscaping.jpeg
Yeah I can fit that new plant right here...
Yeah I can fit that new plant right here...
 
Posts: 3
Location: Rep. of Moldova
forest garden trees food preservation
  • Likes 6
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Summer view at EcoCostel Garden

 
Posts: 3
  • Likes 2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator


You could click this link to watch my plants! Thanks for your view!
 
Posts: 5
3
  • Likes 4
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Just noticed the rainbow.  
Can you see it?
Does it end here?
IMG_6864.jpeg
Where the rainbow ends???
Where the rainbow ends???
 
pollinator
Posts: 351
Location: Youngstown, Ohio
122
forest garden urban bike
  • Likes 3
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
New super fancy (my son's creation) high tunnel nearing completion.  And this year we won a cityscapes beautification award for the garden.  ❤
20221022_133552.jpg
high tunnel construction in urban garden
20221016_161206.jpg
high tunnel in urban garden
20221111_071336.jpg
city beautification award for urban garden
20220921_111601.jpg
garden sign and statue
 
Posts: 26
8
  • Likes 4
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
What a great time to see this thread! Missing warm sunshine and in the waiting for true winter. Thinking of Spring and seed catalogs arriving in the mail, new chicks and sprouts. Here’s a few pix of our current location and the little garden I made in April. Started out with a rocky pasture with hard packed soil. Built up with a no till bed- cardboard and soil/compost mix and 2 loads of wood chips. I was greatly and pleasantly surprised at how beautiful it was! There wasn’t much rhyme or reason to anything so there were flowers and all kinds of herbs (new and old that I had dug up and brought with me) and lots of veggies. First ever watermelon- sugar babies- did great meandering through everything. It was a great season! I still have lettuce and chard and spinach under row covers and a sheet that still give us a salad now & then. 20’s some nights so won’t probably be much longer anymore.
Merry Christmas everyone!  
1B5ABBA5-48A5-4BDF-81CE-54ACCF38E632.jpeg
Beginning
Beginning
CAD7D920-321B-456D-950E-E94AD69547BE.jpeg
Growing!
Growing!
A1B4A98B-D539-42C3-8783-B4AA7BF38C5F.jpeg
mulched garden featuring flowers and veggies
EE433376-A2ED-4B21-8592-3F480378A3C9.jpeg
Veggie Roast on the grilll!
Veggie Roast on the grilll!
 
pollinator
Posts: 126
Location: Western Oregon (Willamette Valley), 8b
63
forest garden foraging food preservation fiber arts medical herbs seed writing
  • Likes 7
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Here are a few pictures from our farm from last summer to this spring.
IMG_20200705_100230554_HDR.jpg
Flowers and herbs in bloom for the pollinators and for us
Flowers and herbs in bloom for the pollinators and for us
IMG_20200715_115625815_HDR.jpg
Summer annuals garden with eggplant, squash and more
Summer annuals garden with eggplant, squash and more
IMG_20210602_132557828_HDR.jpg
Iceberg Climbing roses
Iceberg Climbing roses
IMG_20230511_202924138.jpg
Bumblebee on rosemary blooms
Bumblebee on rosemary blooms
IMG_20220905_142436656.jpg
Evening sleeping congregation of numerous bumblebees on a sunflower
Evening sleeping congregation of numerous bumblebees on a sunflower
IMG_20200612_113619777.jpg
Mama hen and her chicks walking the border of the garden
Mama hen and her chicks walking the border of the garden
IMG_20200909_133948190_HDR.jpg
Purple tomatoes ripening
Purple tomatoes ripening
 
gardener
Posts: 219
Location: East Beaches area of Manitoba, Zone 3
92
hugelkultur purity trees medical herbs writing ungarbage composting
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Rebecca Rosa wrote:Here are a few pictures from our farm from last summer to this spring.



Beautiful, Rebecca!
 
author & steward
Posts: 6087
Location: Southeastern United States - Zone 7b
3909
7
goat cat forest garden foraging food preservation fiber arts medical herbs writing solar wood heat homestead
  • Likes 3
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I've been aware of this thread, but I only recently took time to view it and discover its beautiful images and inspiration. Here's my contribution.
Leighs_garden_keyhole.JPG
Keyhole garden planted with potatoes and neighbored by yarrow and butterfly weed.
Keyhole garden planted with potatoes and neighbored by yarrow and butterfly weed.
Leighs_garden_pears-collards-clover.JPG
Pear tree, collard blossoms, and clover.
Pear tree, collard blossoms, and clover.
Leighs_garden_strawberries.JPG
Strawberries
Strawberries
Leighs_garden_corn-buckwheat.JPG
Corn and buckwheat
Corn and buckwheat
Leighs_garden_coreopsis-chicory.JPG
Coreopsis and chicory
Coreopsis and chicory
Leighs_garden_beds.JPG
Kitchen and canning garden. I'm workng to get it well mulched before our hot summer dry spell.
Kitchen and canning garden. I'm workng to get it well mulched before our hot summer dry spell.
Leighs_garden_tomatoes-squash-lambsquarter.JPG
Tomatoes, volunteer winter squash and volunteer lambs quarter
Tomatoes and volunteers: winter squash, lambs quarter, and violets
 
Shari Clark
gardener
Posts: 219
Location: East Beaches area of Manitoba, Zone 3
92
hugelkultur purity trees medical herbs writing ungarbage composting
  • Likes 4
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I love this beautiful thread and thought I would add a few photos to it! If you want to follow my progress on our woodland garden, my other "project thread" is here: https://permies.com/t/217415/site-messy-fun
strapping-young-tomatoes.jpg
So proud of these strapping young tomatoes... now as tall as me!
So proud of these strapping young tomatoes... now as tall as me!
trellis-two.jpg
Squash growing off this teepee tomato
Squash growing off this teepee tomato
1B8E3674-5A5A-42FB-ACC6-C3C218531DC1.jpeg
zinnias and cosmos in permaculture garden
 
              
Posts: 2
Location: Estonia
3
  • Likes 5
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Some pictures from my garden in Estonia (US gardening zone 4 should be similar)
BSAT0635.JPG
rock lined garden bed
IMG_1692.JPG
garden patio
IMG_2173.JPG
raised garden bed with rock walls
IMG_6150.JPG
thriving rock lined garden beds
 
Posts: 338
78
  • Likes 7
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
So many beautiful gardens, so little land (for me).
Below are few picks utilizing tree stump as removing it was too expensive and too messy. A cutting leaf bee made a home in the stump and it made me happy
Stump-1.JPG
removing a stump by hand
stump-2-drilled-some-holes.JPG
removing a stump by hand
Stump-4-succulents-filled-it-out-nicely-in-one-season.JPG
old stump garden
Cutting-leaf-bee-under-the-frog.JPG
old stump garden
 
Posts: 71
Location: Zone 4
40
  • Likes 10
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Well... after suffocating on a quarter of an acre in the suburbs, I've got my 10 acre homestead, and I'm ready to start dreaming of my permaculture garden.

I took a drone photo of my garden area and got a giant print-out that I put on a big cork board, and use thumbtacks and paper to plan out my plantings. There's a lot to see in the picture below! I want the 'main path' to have a shady insectary/wildlife 'wall' to the south, and an open annual / perennial herb bed to the north. Further north leads to fruit trees and shrubs and a resting / kid play area for the young ones. The northeast corner will be more forested with a canopy layer compared to the more sunny fruit tree area.

The property already has two existing productive apple trees, a happy lilac bush, a happy siberian crabapple tree, a swath of raspberries, and a big bed full of daylilies and irises. Plus about 18 blueberry bushes that produce pretty well but are planted too close together.

There's also a very healthy and very valuable wall white cedar trees on the north side of the property to protect the house and garden against the vicious cold northern winds. I know the fruit trees are going to cast some shade on them but I expect the wall will stay healthy since the same cedars do great in the dense dark forests nearby.

The other picture is how the garden looks today... my biggest flaw as a gardener is my lack of patience. I just want to go out and dig and plant everything right now! But we still have a few weeks to go....
20240311_094345.png
drone shot of future permaculture garden
20240311_094840.jpg
permaculture garden site covered with snow
 
Leigh Tate
author & steward
Posts: 6087
Location: Southeastern United States - Zone 7b
3909
7
goat cat forest garden foraging food preservation fiber arts medical herbs writing solar wood heat homestead
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Alan Burnett wrote:Well... after suffocating on a quarter of an acre in the suburbs, I've got my 10 acre homestead, and I'm ready to start dreaming of my permaculture garden.


Alan, congratulations! What an exciting time for you. I think it would be great if you would start a new thread in the gardening forum to document your ideas and progress. I think many of us would love to follow along.

my biggest flaw as a gardener is my lack of patience. I just want to go out and dig and plant everything right now! But we still have a few weeks to go....


Every gardener's challenge! lol
 
Posts: 81
21
  • Likes 3
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
What a beautiful thread!  

I'm growing a tiny food forest in Eastern Spain 🇪🇸 and am starting, after three years, to see some signs of my early planning coming to fruition.  

We have a hugel which is not really working yet (too many creatures coming to pull it apart) but I'm going to continue trying.  

We also have two in-ground ponds and two bathtub ponds.

The biodiversity here has increased vastly, so I'm thoroughly enjoying watching everything going on out there each day.

It's a long way from producing even a heavy percentage of the food we eat, but I'm in it for tge long-haul, so that's okay.  I'm not using 'vegetable beds' but mixing mainly perennial fruits and vegetables in with the other plants, a little like an English cottage garden.

Water and heat are big challenges... we are already on a drought warning and I measured 50°c+ on more than one occasion last summer.

Here are some pictures!  
20240423_103207.jpg
Beans climbing up a male kiwi plant
Beans climbing up a male kiwi plant
20240423_103054.jpg
My first baby peaches!
My first baby peaches!
20240417_153929.jpg
Limes, and the beautifully scented flowers
Limes, and the beautifully scented flowers
20240317_103812.jpg
We have SO many frogs, dragonflies, snakes and birds using the ponds
We have SO many frogs, dragonflies, snakes and birds using the ponds
20240406_075516.jpg
My next job is to clothe the fences with edibles... this is a wine growing area, so there will be more grapevines and possibly fan-trained apples/pears etc
My next job is to clothe the fences with edibles... this is a wine growing area, so there will be more grapevines and possibly fan-trained apples/pears etc
 
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I wish I could show you the garden that I was working on, but the torrential rains have it under water. Yep, washed everything downhill into the pond. The upside of this is that the fish are loving the extra feed and the ducks are loving the fish!
 
gardener
Posts: 734
Location: Grow zone 10b. Southern California,close to the Mexican border
629
5
home care duck books urban chicken food preservation cooking medical herbs solar homestead greening the desert
  • Likes 2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Alan Burnett wrote:Well... after suffocating on a quarter of an acre in the suburbs, I've got my 10 acre homestead, and I'm ready to start dreaming of my permaculture garden.

I took a drone photo of my garden area and got a giant print-out that I put on a big cork board, and use thumbtacks and paper to plan out my plantings. There's a lot to see in the picture below! I want the 'main path' to have a shady insectary/wildlife 'wall' to the south, and an open annual / perennial herb bed to the north. Further north leads to fruit trees and shrubs and a resting / kid play area for the young ones. The northeast corner will be more forested with a canopy layer compared to the more sunny fruit tree area.

The property already has two existing productive apple trees, a happy lilac bush, a happy siberian crabapple tree, a swath of raspberries, and a big bed full of daylilies and irises. Plus about 18 blueberry bushes that produce pretty well but are planted too close together.

There's also a very healthy and very valuable wall white cedar trees on the north side of the property to protect the house and garden against the vicious cold northern winds. I know the fruit trees are going to cast some shade on them but I expect the wall will stay healthy since the same cedars do great in the dense dark forests nearby.

The other picture is how the garden looks today... my biggest flaw as a gardener is my lack of patience. I just want to go out and dig and plant everything right now! But we still have a few weeks to go....



I just want to let you know that there is a computer garden design program called garden planner that you can use to make your design. I used it for both my backyard raised bed garden and our forest garden. They support 3d, so you can get a really good idea about what fits and looks good. You will be able to add plants too it and later print out what you added in list form. It made things a lot easier for me, especially since I keep making little changes to add more plants.
I have attached the plans I made.
foodforest.jpeg
Forest garden
Forest garden
IMG_1345.jpeg
Backyard raised beds & animals
Backyard raised beds & animals
 
Leigh Tate
author & steward
Posts: 6087
Location: Southeastern United States - Zone 7b
3909
7
goat cat forest garden foraging food preservation fiber arts medical herbs writing solar wood heat homestead
  • Likes 4
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
My garden is pretty much winding down, but the other day I managed to take a few photos of our end of the season pickings.
Sept2024-picking-bucket.JPG
picking bucket
picking bucket
Sept2024-daikons.JPG
fall daikons
fall daikons
Sept2024-sweet-potato-flowers.JPG
sweet potato flowers
sweet potato flowers
Sept2024-Katy.JPG
Kitty hiding in the sweet potato vines
Kitty hiding in the sweet potato vines
Sept2024-sweet-potato-squash.JPG
sweet potato squash
sweet potato squash
Sept2024-pole-beans.JPG
the corn is done but the corn stalks still make good bean poles
the corn is done but the corn stalks still make good bean poles
Sept2024-peppers.JPG
bell peppers
bell peppers
Sept2024-Jing-okra.JPG
okra blossom
okra blossom
 
pollinator
Posts: 898
Location: Clemson, SC ("new" Zone 8a)
228
11
  • Likes 2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
These pics of my little garden plot are from 5 days ago, early July.  I was a couple weeks late in May getting transplants in the ground, but we had halfway cool, rainy weather through late Spring/early Summer, and everything has established well.  Though I'm pleased by the vigor and growth for this point in the summer, we shall see how much fruit I actually get.  Herbs and a few okra so far.  The primay problem with this garden location persists: just not enough light.  I'm working on that.

I have a much larger area - behind the camera and across the driveway - that I will eventually put into annual veggies like these.  My current little plot is the stopgap.  I also have a larger, sprawling food forest, which is much less tidy and photogenic right now, and much more "in progress."













A dragon on my basil, oh my!


 
Inge Leonora-den Ouden
pollinator
Posts: 3589
Location: Meppel (Drenthe, the Netherlands)
1252
dog forest garden urban cooking bike fiber arts
  • Likes 7
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
It was 5 years ago I posted photos here! Isn't it about time to show some new pictures?!
Photos made this year, 2026.
First four photos of the allotment garden (that's where most of my vegetables and other edibles grow):

Apple tree in full bloom. 21st of April.

Apple blossoms close up.

View over some garden beds and the other apple tree. (sheds are in neighbouring gardens).

View in the other direction.

And two photos of the garden in front of the house (ground floor apartment):

'Rain garden'.

Flag iris (native plant here, growing along rivers and lakes) in the rain garden.

 
pioneer
Posts: 490
Location: WV- up in the hills above Huntington Mall
142
4
hugelkultur personal care foraging rabbit books chicken food preservation cooking fiber arts medical herbs homestead
  • Likes 6
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
We just hit our 3 year anniversary of moving across country.  I had 3 hugels before the end of that summer. I tried growing food in this heavy clay, but it was just an experiment. The seeds popped but didn't get far.

Now I have 4 raised beds in addition to the hugels. Im slowly working on another, bigger hugelkultur bed. Clearing some of the flatter land has left us with piles of twiggy debris piled here and there that need to be addressed. A big part will end up in hugels or as biochar.
20260521_200604.jpg
Raised bed 1
Raised bed 1
20260521_200613.jpg
Raised bed 2
Raised bed 2
20260521_200632.jpg
Raised bed 3
Raised bed 3
20260521_200645.jpg
Raised bed 4
Raised bed 4
20260424_115247.jpg
Food forest area hugel near road
Food forest area hugel near road
20260429_123048.jpg
Rhubarb hugel with strawberries
Rhubarb hugel with strawberries
 
Cris Fellows
pollinator
Posts: 351
Location: Youngstown, Ohio
122
forest garden urban bike
  • Likes 7
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I know there are pics of my garden somewhere in this thread... time for new.  :)  3 city lot urban permaculture-esque, herb heavy (I am an herbalist ☺), with a lovely glorified unheated greenhouse/ gather space.
20260505_115751.jpg
[Thumbnail for 20260505_115751.jpg]
20260505_115929.jpg
[Thumbnail for 20260505_115929.jpg]
20260510_095904.jpg
[Thumbnail for 20260510_095904.jpg]
20260505_120334.jpg
[Thumbnail for 20260505_120334.jpg]
 
master pollinator
Posts: 3029
Location: RRV of da Nort, USA
995
  • Likes 9
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Woke up this morning to a wonderful gurgling sound on the slow, meandering river that runs near the house.  As predicted, the local beavers had swung into action last night an assembled a proper, but low height, dam across it just upstream from the back deck.  After a summer of drought, the river is recovering and the beavs are going to make sure there is some depth for their winter burrow!

I'm going to give a new name to the kale shown below 'Phoenix' ..... after the cabbage butterfly larvae this summer did their best to defoliate all plants and wipe out all but one cabbage, the kale is 'rising from the ashes' to produce nice fall leaves.  The more pale-colored kale is a Portuguese variety that is recovering as well, but both will need some frost and cold nights to reduce their bitterness and bring back some sweetness to the leaves.  Otherwise, th garden is winding down, but warm days and nights are keeping us in fresh peppers and tomatoes....even some of the zucchini is still producing young fruit.  Over-ripe cukes will go into 'Senfgurken' pickles along with some of the wax pepper abundance.  The chest freezers are busting with tomatoes....may do some salsa but will need to access cilantro in town since all garden stock long since dried up.  The warmth and late rains have brought some skeeters back, but frost will come soon and knock them back.  Best time of year for sure!....
kale.jpg
[Thumbnail for kale.jpg]
Produce.jpg
[Thumbnail for Produce.jpg]
 
John Weiland
master pollinator
Posts: 3029
Location: RRV of da Nort, USA
995
  • Likes 4
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Adding a bump post to this thread for an odd reason.  After posting the immediate above entry over the weekend, I thought it strange that it was not in the 'most recent' list on the Forum.  I considered it might be a temporary glitch, so let it rest a day.  The next day (Sunday I think....) it still was not to be seen (by me) in the 'Most Recent' column of the Permies.com Forum.  I PM'd the OP of this thread and inquired as to whether or not she was able to see the thread in that 'Most Recent' list and she affirmed that it was there.  But I still am unable to see this thread appearing in the 'Most Recent' list going back several days.  Is there something I may have done that would 'hide' the thread from my view?....Some accidental keystroke or combination of trackpad movements?  In order to type this current entry, I needed to either search on the title, find it in my profile, or look through the 'Like' notifications ..... which I could then click on to access the post.  Thoughts?  Thanks!.....    and now to see if what I'm currently posting shows up in the 'Most Recent' list!.....I can't stand the suspense!! ;-)

Edit: Nope....still not visible.  Have I somehow injured or offended the space-time continuum?? ;-?
 
Inge Leonora-den Ouden
pollinator
Posts: 3589
Location: Meppel (Drenthe, the Netherlands)
1252
dog forest garden urban cooking bike fiber arts
  • Likes 3
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

John Weiland wrote:Adding a bump post to this thread for an odd reason.  After posting the immediate above entry over the weekend, I thought it strange that it was not in the 'most recent' list on the Forum.  I considered it might be a temporary glitch, so let it rest a day.  The next day (Sunday I think....) it still was not to be seen (by me) in the 'Most Recent' column of the Permies.com Forum.  I PM'd the OP of this thread and inquired as to whether or not she was able to see the thread in that 'Most Recent' list and she affirmed that it was there.  But I still am unable to see this thread appearing in the 'Most Recent' list going back several days.  Is there something I may have done that would 'hide' the thread from my view?....Some accidental keystroke or combination of trackpad movements?  In order to type this current entry, I needed to either search on the title, find it in my profile, or look through the 'Like' notifications ..... which I could then click on to access the post.  Thoughts?  Thanks!.....    and now to see if what I'm currently posting shows up in the 'Most Recent' list!.....I can't stand the suspense!! ;-)

Edit: Nope....still not visible.  Have I somehow injured or offended the space-time continuum?? ;-?


Hi John. It's strange: now I have the same problem! I can't find the Garden Picture Exchange anymore in the list!
 
Inge Leonora-den Ouden
pollinator
Posts: 3589
Location: Meppel (Drenthe, the Netherlands)
1252
dog forest garden urban cooking bike fiber arts
  • Likes 3
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
... and even stranger: now I wrote this last post and looked again ... it was there, on top of the list!
 
gardener
Posts: 543
Location: Poland, zone 6, CfB
317
14
forest garden fish trees books writing homestead
  • Likes 4
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Testing if it works...
20260903006.jpg
Hanging squash
Hanging squash
 
Richard Gorny
gardener
Posts: 543
Location: Poland, zone 6, CfB
317
14
forest garden fish trees books writing homestead
  • Likes 4
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Inge Leonora-den Ouden wrote:... and even stranger: now I wrote this last post and looked again ... it was there, on top of the list!



I have tested it right now, all seems to be working fine.

Screenshot.png
All works for me...
All works for me...
 
John Weiland
master pollinator
Posts: 3029
Location: RRV of da Nort, USA
995
  • Likes 3
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Now 12:14 pm North American CST.....not seeing this thread at all in the "Most Recent" list.  Most previous post was from Richard Gorny at 11:55:49 AM.  I accessed this thread via another poster 'Like' notification, but it is not appearing in the 'Most Recent' list.  Hmmmm....
 
These are the worst of times and these are the best of times. And this is the best tiny ad:
Permaculture Voices 1, 2 and 3 - all 117 hours of video!
https://permies.com/t/voices123
reply
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic