• Post Reply
  • Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic

Perennial oil seed crops

 
Thekla McDaniels
gardener
Posts: 1522
Location: Grand Valley of Colorado's Western Slope
76
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
What is anyone growing on perennials to press for oil? I can think of olives (but who would want to burn such precious stuff), hazel and other nuts, rosehip seeds make a nice cosmetic oil, but again, would fuel oil be a good use for that?
 
Su Ba
pollinator
Pie
Posts: 813
Location: Big Island, Hawaii (2300' elevation, 60" avg. annual rainfall, temp range 55-80 degrees F)
88
books forest garden rabbit solar tiny house woodworking
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Nuts. I have several macadamia nut trees that I specifically grow for oil. I use the oil for cooking.

By the way, nuts not suitable for eating are good for burning in my woodstove. So the oil content can be useful for other things, not just food.
 
Mick Fisch
Pie
Posts: 214
5
bee duck fish food preservation forest garden fungi trees woodworking
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
There was a discussion starting up on Staple Crops about getting oil. It was suggested that we move over to this thread to continue it. I read with interest the entry on growing and eating nuts to get all the oil a human needs. When I think about it, I have to agree that a couple of hand fulls of nuts a day would give us all we need to survive. I guess I was thinking with my belly instead of my head. My wife says that I'm digging my grave with a spoon, because I like all things fried. Probably don't need as much oil as I thought.

I remember reading in a book a few years ago that we got our word "hickory" not from the wood, tree or nut, but it was derived from a kind of nut milk that the indians would make by mashing up the nuts, boiling them up in water and then drinking the resulting milk. The author claimed they would gather bags and bags of nuts and store them. when they wanted some 'hickory' they would mash up a bunch and make it. The author said he had tried some at some gathering and that it was really tasty, although he noted concerns about the hygenic preparation from the people sharing it with him. He also mentioned that they would skim the fat of the top and use it like butter.

For those of us who haven't successfully reeducated our bellies yet, It sounds like a doable source of plant based oil.

I haven't tried to make the hickory milk yet. Has anybody else ever heard of it or tried it? Now that I think of it, I have a bag of pecans we gathered a couple of years ago in the pantry. I'll try it tonight or tomorrow and give you a report back on it.
 
Su Ba
pollinator
Pie
Posts: 813
Location: Big Island, Hawaii (2300' elevation, 60" avg. annual rainfall, temp range 55-80 degrees F)
88
books forest garden rabbit solar tiny house woodworking
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Skimming the fat off the top of the boiling nut mash sounds interesting. But I suspect that if a person nowadays were to use electricity or gas to do the boiling, that oil would be rather costly to produce.

I make my macadamia oil primarily with a hand crank expeller. But I accidentally did it once with a food processor. I was making a batch of macadamia nut butter when I got called away. When I returned a few hours later, I found a nice layer of oil on top of the nut paste, most of which I poured off and saved for cooking.

I've never tried boiling the ground up nuts.
 
Mick Fisch
Pie
Posts: 214
5
bee duck fish food preservation forest garden fungi trees woodworking
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
the impression I got in the reading was that when they made the milk, they made a pretty large amount. I'm guessing all the relatives/neighbors wandered over for a nut milk party, probably during the winter when they needed a pick-me-up. Making it up over a rocket stove that you were running anyway because you need to warm up the house would make it a freebee. In the winter around here (southern indiana) the nut milk would keep quite a while if you could keep small children, hungry teenagers and various critters out of it.

 
Gabriel Guhr
Posts: 27
Location: Aiuruoca, Brazil, 1250m
7
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Moringa oleifera oil can be used for eating and is being used to produce biodiesel too
 
Mick Fisch
Pie
Posts: 214
5
bee duck fish food preservation forest garden fungi trees woodworking
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I just tried that thing i read about where they boiled the hickory nuts. My impression was that they mashed up nuts and shells and boiled it to make nut milk and get oil. I finally got around to trying it with pecans, which are a type of hickory. Almost killed my blender. I can sum up my results in one word.

NASTY!!!

I got way more shell and very little nut. I might as well have just boiled up a bunch of shells. It was undrinkable. I apologize for mentioning it prior to testing it myself.
 
Casie Becker
pollinator
Posts: 795
Location: Just northwest of Austin, TX
44
forest garden urban
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I wouldn't write the concept off yet. Pecans dry up inside their shells if you store them too long. We try to use all of ours within a year.

It also seems more likely to me that anyone eating a nut would be shelling it first, whichever way they were eating it. How obsessive was the person writing the account with reporting step by step everything he saw? Could he have omitted preparation descriptions because he thought they were self evident?

Even if he included every step, and the nuts were ground shell and all, omitting the shells would probably make it more palatable to the modern palates. Isn't this basically how almond milk is processed? I'd have to be in the mood to shell a whole lot of pecans before I tried this myself. Usually I do just enough to use in one recipe.
 
David Livingston
steward
Pie
Posts: 2593
Location: Anjou ,France
102
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I have noticed that in permiculuture news there are details of a book recommending hazel nuts for oil production if I can ever get them before the bloody squirrels I might give it a go
 
Thekla McDaniels
gardener
Posts: 1522
Location: Grand Valley of Colorado's Western Slope
76
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
when ever i have made nut milk, it has been with shelled nuts. I sometimes soak them first. The ?phytic acid" supposedly disappears when the seed is sprouted. At times I have talked with people who produce and market "sprouted almond butter". When I asked them about the "sprouting" process, turns out soaking them 24 hours is all they did.

I've never pursued the idea further, if a soak is sprouting, if the phytic acid diminishes significantly after soaking, but I do notice a difference in the quality of the nut milk if I soaked it overnight, and PS, when I make nut milk, I don't strain out the fiber, I just put it in the vitamix and go to smooth and creamy. I watch out the liquid does not get hot. When I use the milk, if it has been in a jar in the frige, it does need shaking.
 
Lee Kochel
Posts: 14
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
To Mike Fisch: As regards the amount of oil in your diet, ketogenic diets which are considered very healthy when done right recommend upwards of 80% of calories from fat, especially animal fats but also coconut oil and palm kernal oil (mostly saturated fats) and olive oil (mostly omega 9 fats) but also avocado oil which would be a good perennial plant if your region would support their growth; most important though is to see that approximately equal amount of omega 3 and omega 6 oils are taken in. Westin A. Price group recommends upwards of 70% of calories in the diet be fats. Pecans, hickories, and walnuts (and its variants like huartnut), and hazelnuts are all high in fat and good to eat, but only 2 of the hickories (don't remember which 2) are really considered palatable to humans. Phil Rutledge(sp?) at Badgersett.com sells a "hican", a cross between good to eat hickories and pecans which will produce well at latitudes further north than most pecans. You could also grow chestnuts, oaks, and or fruit trees which produce mostly starch but which will produce a lot of good fat on a pig.
 
Mike Turner
Posts: 309
Location: Upstate SC
6
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Other perennial crops not mentioned so far from which oil can be extracted include pine nuts and beech nuts. There are a number of fruit crops whose seeds can be pressed for oil including grape, citrus, plum, peach, and apricot.
 
B. Linger
Posts: 8
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
2 more for the list: Yellowhorn is a perennial oil crop and food crop. There's not too much literature about using it for food and oil in English, but it's mostly used in China. Maple Leaf Reforestation bought 3 million trees and a research station in China in 2011, maybe that's a good place to start for gathering information.
In warmer temperate and subtropics Camellia oleifera offers 80 gallons of oil/acre in plantation style production. http://www.hort.uga.edu/personnel/faculty/profile/CamelliaupdateRuter08.pdf and about oil production http://hortsci.ashspublications.org/content/40/4/1082.4
 
Faye Corbett
Posts: 23
Location: Appalachian Mountains
3
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Mick Fisch wrote:There was a discussion starting up on Staple Crops about getting oil. It was suggested that we move over to this thread to continue it. I read with interest the entry on growing and eating nuts to get all the oil a human needs. When I think about it, I have to agree that a couple of hand fulls of nuts a day would give us all we need to survive. I guess I was thinking with my belly instead of my head. My wife says that I'm digging my grave with a spoon, because I like all things fried. Probably don't need as much oil as I thought.

I remember reading in a book a few years ago that we got our word "hickory" not from the wood, tree or nut, but it was derived from a kind of nut milk that the indians would make by mashing up the nuts, boiling them up in water and then drinking the resulting milk. The author claimed they would gather bags and bags of nuts and store them. when they wanted some 'hickory' they would mash up a bunch and make it. The author said he had tried some at some gathering and that it was really tasty, although he noted concerns about the hygenic preparation from the people sharing it with him. He also mentioned that they would skim the fat of the top and use it like butter.

For those of us who haven't successfully reeducated our bellies yet, It sounds like a doable source of plant based oil.

I haven't tried to make the hickory milk yet. Has anybody else ever heard of it or tried it? Now that I think of it, I have a bag of pecans we gathered a couple of years ago in the pantry. I'll try it tonight or tomorrow and give you a report back on it.


I was at a homesteader's house, elderly couple, who live off grid. She made the hickory milk by mashing up the hickory nuts, and threw it all in a pot, shell and all, added water, heated it, then strained out the solids. Wasn't mashed too finely. Delightfully good. She said if you wanted oil, just let it cool and skim off the oil to use for cooking. Then use the nut milk by straining out solids. Pick out the nuts for later and any shell left over is good kindling for the fire. This was apparently, according to my source, the way the Cherokees did it. Much easier than cranking an oil press.

Sunflower seed, which I've grown to eat, and are very high in oil content and softer than some other items you could press for oil, appears to me to be a good source for pressed oil. Remember too, that oils start becoming rancid as son as air hits them, so eating the fresh nut or seed out of hand or making it in just enough quantity to use right then, is healthier.

R. Cloud
 
Danny Smithers
Posts: 43
Location: Florissant, CO
1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I'v personally planted a variety of perennial crops in hopes for oil eventually including hazelnut, hazelbert, maxmillian sunflower, and butternut trees. I wish I could let you know the efficacy, but it will be several years before I can speak to the results. I do want to focus on the butternut tree though... It has some advantages over other nut producers in that it is very hearty, and it also produces a syrup that can be tapped. Does anyone have much experience with this tree? I've planted 5 or so, but plan to plant more this year--A couple enjoyed death (or at least delayed growth) by rabbit this year. I know it is a slow grower, but from what I understand it produces quite well once mature. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

And as a thought in terms of oil, I feel like squash and camelina have really good potential as well. I know they are not perennial, but they seem like they get ignored and just wanted to throw them out there. I'm going to be trying squash as an oil source this year.

 
Patrick Doss
Posts: 1
Location: Central VA
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
David Livingston wrote:I have noticed that in permiculuture news there are details of a book recommending hazel nuts for oil production if I can ever get them before the bloody squirrels I might give it a go


Growing Hybrid Hazelnuts, the book from the folks at Badgersett, had a short section on using hazelnut oil for biodiesel, and said they actually ran their tractor on it in trials.
They had some good advice on using blemished/damaged nuts for oil, and after pressing, use shells to burn or mulch, and the nut remnants could be used for fodder or compost, etc.

They have some tips for your rodent problems in the book as well, but can't remember off the top of my head the specifics aside from leaving open space around your hazels to promote predatory birds and reduce cover for the pests when moving to/from the hazels.

Now I don't have any hands on knowledge on hazels, just what I've read, so I'm sure there are several people here with a better grasp on this topic than myself.
 
Pamela Smith
Posts: 56
Location: BC Canada Zone 5&6
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I know sunflower seeds are not perennial but they are self seeding. Birds drop seeds, when you harvest you drop seeds accidentally but one can also drop seeds on purpose when you harvest and the seeds left on the ground come up so well the next year. My friend never sows sunflower seeds. There are always lots springing up year after year.
Sunflower oil is a great source for cooking, salads etc. sunflower seeds for oil are also a great source for chickens. One can sprout sunflowers seeds for self, chickens and bovine.
 
Jesus Martinez
Posts: 166
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Mick Fisch wrote:I just tried that thing i read about where they boiled the hickory nuts. My impression was that they mashed up nuts and shells and boiled it to make nut milk and get oil. I finally got around to trying it with pecans, which are a type of hickory. Almost killed my blender. I can sum up my results in one word.

NASTY!!!

I got way more shell and very little nut. I might as well have just boiled up a bunch of shells. It was undrinkable. I apologize for mentioning it prior to testing it myself.


Blending and mashing are completely different things. I think it should have been pretty obvious what was going to happen to your blender if you put shells in there....
 
Jesus Martinez
Posts: 166
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Pamela Smith wrote:I know sunflower seeds are not perennial but they are self seeding. Birds drop seeds, when you harvest you drop seeds accidentally but one can also drop seeds on purpose when you harvest and the seeds left on the ground come up so well the next year. My friend never sows sunflower seeds. There are always lots springing up year after year.
Sunflower oil is a great source for cooking, salads etc. sunflower seeds for oil are also a great source for chickens. One can sprout sunflowers seeds for self, chickens and bovine.


One of the things that I think that people tend to overlook about conventional farming is the simplicity of harvesting it brings. If you are looking to produce oil from something like sunflowers, relying on birds to plant it for you is going to make harvesting a painful enough experience that you're likely going to plan to do it a different way. Relying on animal planting of seeds for other purposes is definitely useful, having random outcrops of sunflower is definitely useful, but if you are looking to harvest several 50gallon drums of processed seed for safe keeping over the winter, you're going to wear out your boots with all the walking.
 
Brandon McGinnity
Posts: 6
Location: Winston-Salem, United States
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I'm going to try growing chufa this year, also known as tiger nuts. It's actually a sedge, which produces a quantity of tubers that are what you're after. It's what the Spanish used to make horchata out of. It is really high in oil and has, according to the NPR piece through which I learned of the plant, the same nutrient profile as beef liver. And it is self seeding/propagating, as when you pull up the plant to harvest the tubers you will likely never get them all out of the ground.
 
Pamela Smith
Posts: 56
Location: BC Canada Zone 5&6
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Jesus Martinez wrote:
Pamela Smith wrote:I know sunflower seeds are not perennial but they are self seeding. Birds drop seeds, when you harvest you drop seeds accidentally but one can also drop seeds on purpose when you harvest and the seeds left on the ground come up so well the next year. My friend never sows sunflower seeds. There are always lots springing up year after year.
Sunflower oil is a great source for cooking, salads etc. sunflower seeds for oil are also a great source for chickens. One can sprout sunflowers seeds for self, chickens and bovine.


One of the things that I think that people tend to overlook about conventional farming is the simplicity of harvesting it brings. If you are looking to produce oil from something like sunflowers, relying on birds to plant it for you is going to make harvesting a painful enough experience that you're likely going to plan to do it a different way. Relying on animal planting of seeds for other purposes is definitely useful, having random outcrops of sunflower is definitely useful, but if you are looking to harvest several 50gallon drums of processed seed for safe keeping over the winter, you're going to wear out your boots with all the walking.


Well it is true you want to control where your seeds are put especially if you want such a large amount. For myself and my friend we do not have the problems you talked about. Year after year they always come up in the spot designated for our seeds. I personally do not grow for oil I grow for feed for my chooks. I leave behind a row of seeds in the fall when I harvest and they come up so well in the spring. Then again that too depends on your temperatures I am sure. If the odd sunflower comes up somewhere else depending where it is I simply pull it out.
 
today's feeble attempt to support the empire
Got Permaculture games? Yes! 66 cards, infinite possibilities::
www.FoodForestCardGame
  • Post Reply
  • Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic