Ellie Strand wrote:have you noticed any difference since you started to use humic acid to remove chloramine?
Angelika Maier wrote:I wonder what tap or well water would do to the soil on the longer run!
Ben Schiavi wrote:I could be imagining things but here in Australia i always felt that my plants grow way faster and stronger after rain, compared to tap water irrigation.
James Freyr wrote:
I seem to notice the same here. Here's what I think makes the difference. Raindrops pick up a lot of oxygen falling from the sky. This influx of oxygenated water benefits roots and soil bacteria & fungi, they all need oxygen. If it's a quality rain of let's say an inch compared to a light 1/10 inch sprinkling, this oxygen can go deeper into the soil than atmospheric oxygen.
Ben Schiavi wrote:
That being said, chlorine is designed to kill microorganisms, and seeing that microorganisms feed plants, there's a pretty good chance it's doing some damage. Then again, if the chlorine evaporates quickly it should have no effect at all. Might have to test the soil to find out for sure.
Jason Hernandez wrote:So, what levels of chlorine residuals are harmful to soil? As with everything, "the poison is in the dose;" a lot of toxic materials occur naturally in trace amounts, and only become problematic when the amounts become too high.
As an example, here are some stats from the City of American Canyon, California:
Substance Units MRDL MRDLG Average Range Contaminant Sources
Chlorine ppm 4.0 4.0 0.68 0.10 – 1.48 Drinking water disinfectant added for treatment
Now, how many of us can translate that into useful information about watering our plants?