- X 5
You have a book you would like to promote? An article, or blog post, that you feel might be of use to the Permies community and would like to share? Maybe a workshop, conference or PDC to announce? Maybe you want our community to be away of your product for sale?
Permies is a site for the benefit of its members. So as a member of the community, Permies wants to help you promote your useful stuff. Promoting your useful stuff is not only good for you, but it benefits
everyone else in the Permies community that finds your stuff useful.
In order to be useful, your content should be:
If you are going to post a link to your stuff located elsewhere than Permies, please be sure to describe what you are linking to and why someone would want to click on the link.
Here's how to do it wrong when posting a reply to someone's question:
Hey, I wrote about that in my blog at http://attention-grabber.com/look-at-me.html
Here's one way to do it right:
Hey, I wrote an article on building a swale in cold climate at http://useful-content.com/cold-swale.html.
In the article, I describe how I levelled the bottom of the swale and what plants I planted on the swale. I also show pictures of the evolution of the swale over a 5 years period.
Notice the difference?
The first example is indistinguishable from spam. It doesn't tell anyone what the link is about, and all it does is to drive traffic away from Permies. It's not what a good community member should do.
The second example has two important differences:
NOT A LICENSE TO SPAM
Your post will be subject to removal as spam if it can be:
Books or Movies
We especially encourage authors to promote their books or movies. See this page for a book and this page for a movie example of what we would like to see.
Some things we like to see on a book or movie's page:
We also like seeing links such as:
Where to Post
Depending on what your stuff is related to, you can post in the Global Ressources forum in the appropriate section (books, DVDs, movies, videos and documentaries,web sites, products,resources: seeds, plants, honey, consulting, etc.)
Many other forms of free advertising you can do:
- make a media rich thread about your organization/website/book/thing/whatever
- if you buy a piece of pie, you can add your thread to more forums
- every reply to your thread, bumps it to the top of our home page!
- put our social media icon on your site and link it to your thread so it gets bumped more! More posts and more views also adds to the thread score, which improves the odds that it will appear on the "best" column and in the periodic digest "interesting threads you might have missed."
- offering freebies to our pie people gets you listed to our heavily advertised pie program!
- put a link to your stuff in your signature and write lots of excellent posts!
- offer stuff in our book/dvd/event/pie promotions
- get your stuff lined up for a review. Provide some of your stuff to our reviewers: book reviews
- give your stuff to some of our staff and hope that they talk about it a lot
- check out our paid advertising stuff below and arrange a media trade. Banner-for-banner, or mailing-list mention for mailing-list mention, etc.
- if we like your stuff, and you set it up at scubbly with a 40% affiliate fee, we might advertise the hell out of it. (example)
We also have a list for paid advertising.
- X 4
ARE YOU SURE? All the Evil Marketing People I've worked with won't think this is a good idea.
WHAT ABOUT BRAND PURITY? OMG OMG OMG!!!
(Seriously - you rock, you attract other people that rock, and that's why Permies rocks.)
- X 2
As it turns out, I will often do that sort of thing for free. There are a lot of criteria for what is persuasive to me. 90% of the requests come from people that have never posted anything at permies besides advertising their stuff. If they are some source of information, could they not answer even one question from somebody trying to learn this stuff? The same 90% have zero links to my empire.
At the same time, I know of people that have been big boosters of my empire, and their site is loaded with links, and they have over a hundred posts on these forums.
So who do you suppose gets my freebies?
I am co-facilitating a PDC at our farm in Costa Rica that features a Kid's Camp and Eco-adventure tour called Permaculture in Action... I am a PC designer, teacher, and implementer, not as good with marketing... yet. I am wondering if you may have some advice on where to promote it and the best way. I made a flier and have put it up on facebook as well as made another page on our website. I am wondering if possible, where I would post a course here in permies.
- X 2
Then set up your signature to point to that web page.
Then try to answer a few questions about permaculture in general and people will be awed by your answer and follow your signature link. These threads will be viewed thousands of times over the years so that for each new workshop you can change your signature.
- X 2
I like to think that if somebody has a blog and they post the way adrien suggested in the first post, then I like the idea that we find ways to send lots of traffic to your site. And in the case of the "bad post" then we will probably delete that and no traffic will go to your site.
Further, some people that wish to bring attention to their site and/or product have come to the conclusion that this is fucked up and I am the king of dicks. To respond to that, I have two important points:
1) If you think this, then why do you spend even one more second on my site? Do you find pleasure in being miserable? Go find a community that fits your idea of awesome.
2) I take great pride in being the king of dicks based on your standards. Naturally, by my standards, and the standards of a few others, I am fucking awesome. And this site is dedicated to those people.
I had not considered posting in the regional threads because on first read I thought they were reserved for Paul.
The paid advertising options on permies.com right now:
- banners at the top of the forums, plus get in on the big list which is linked to from every page
- sponsorship in the podcasts
- a paragraph or so in the daily-ish email
- a "tiny ad" in the daily-ish email
- in-forum links
- banners/offers throughout the content at richsoil.com
- producer credits/mention in upcoming youtube videos
- run your video at the top of our forums
- we might be convinced to add a bumper sticker for you
I suspect that this is not the complete list. I suspect that there are lots more free advertising things for businesses, blogs and the like. What am I leaving out?
I was looking to make a video\ picture log for records so that myself and later my daughter knew what was done and where and why on the property. House stuff and of course the planting and earthworks etc. i thought about posting it to you tube because its trendy there and other people might see something usefull, but if its possible to upload vidoes here and not just embed them then i could do that here . It would one less account and website to check in on and I get more out of browsing these forums than sifting through youtube. Its sort of advertizing because I run a little tourism business but im not really expecting to find people here, most are based in the states. If i can post videos should i make a thread for the project or put things in place under the other threads that are already there? Also, whats the difference between watching a post and bookmarking one?
Mostly I bookmark topics that are full of information on complicated topics that I will some day (hopefully) be prepared to take the time to learn. Building my own solar battery array, for instance. It will probably be some years before I'm prepared to tackle this, so I'll read all the discussion at that time.
paul wheaton wrote:We are not set up to manage video files. We can, however, embed youtube and vimeo videos.
Why not add a simple HTML5 Tag for other videos?
It looks like
<VIDEO controls><source src="http://the-website-to-the.video.mp4" type="video/mp4">Your browser does not support HTML5 videos.</VIDEO>
In JForum it is easy to add new stuff.
I absolutely dislike YouTube and
because I have my own Root-Server with huge traffic contingent,
I host all of my videos myself.
Unfortunately I am currently overworked and can not update my website regulary,
but it is here: Miila Mahe Aed OÜ
Have a nice day
Would you turn that thing down? I'm controlling a mind here! Look ... look at the tiny ad ...
The Earth Sheltered Solar Greenhouse Book by Mike Oehler - digital downloadhttps://permies.com/wiki/23444/digital-market/digital-market/Earth-Sheltered-Solar-Greenhouse-Book