I'm gonna document low / no skill bamboo ideas here as I try them. I'm open to ideas, too, so post away. One of my bamboos is supposed to max out at about 3" diameter by 50' tall, but to date my largest culms are about ⅓ the diameter of my wrist by about 12'-16' tall.
1) The ring. Not the first thing I've made, just the first documented.
It was kinda chonky until I started whittleing and sanding. I cut it off of the unworked piece next to it.
I based the size and profile on my wedding ring. (I don't wear a lot of jewelry.)
Still kinda uneven. I think I can make a drill into a mini lathe so any future ones could be shaped better. It's green because I used a cotton swab to brush it with food coloring. I tried to shine it up, first with olive oil, then with a "finish" I made from old candle wax and baby oil. Didn't really take much shine, but I figure it'll stay sealed for as long as it takes me to break it.
Maybe I'll show you the towel drying rack sometime. (I... didn't know how to lash. The intersections are... interesting.)
i made a series of little cups from bamboo that i can’t seem to find at the moment, that took nothing more than a bit of cutting and filing - just using the natural sectioning of bamboo segments.
also, years ago i made this two-handed maraca (the loudest maraca ever when loaded with kentucky coffee tree seeds), but i wanted to be able to change out the seeds so it could be quieter or just generally tonally different if desired...so i cut the gourd in half and added a bamboo ring with a peg to lock it in tight. i was lucky to find some bamboo that matched the size and shape of the handle i was using pretty well.
Again, no idea how to lash, but this is still my best teepee. Made it for a friend's little girl. When they moved in, the little satellite dish next to the barrel was mounted on the little metal post in the center of the teepee. They didn't want it, so we took it down and connected a center bamboo pole to the post. Each side pole sits in a little dimple cut in the dirt about 1"-2" deep. Stood all season unchanged.
I thought it was time to up my game, so for this one I found a youtube video that taught how to lash a tripod. It worked great. Had no idea how to lash a hexapod, so I leaned the other three poles into the gaps between the poles in the tripod. I just wound around the outside and tied it off.
Once beans started to climb, it caught more wind. With that much leverage, it shifted. So I staked several of the legs. Wasn't enough. Now that amaranth next to it (You can see it over the left corner of the hose hanger. It's taller than me now.) is held up by a t post, and hitting that is why the teepee hasn't fallen all the way down. It's pretty sad. In the future, I guess I'll build in support from the start. I'm thinking:
a) center pole
b) square lashed supports between each pair of adjacent poles
c) a hula hoop square lashed to all the poles
Bought a bag of skulls at the dollar tree. I found a website somewhere that gave the lengths of body parts, using "skull" as a unit of measure. That let me get the proportions nearly right. Hot glued the joints.
Sprayed with walmart's cheapest spray paint.
I don't know what website that was anymore. For some reason I do still have the template I made from it.
I lost interest along the way, but if I were making it again, I think I'd use fishing line to articulate the joints.