jim forster wrote:Unfortunately going away with wet wood in a sealed up house for 2.5months created a great environment for mold to grow. I have quite a lot of work to do before I can move back in.
So far I am thinking I need to re-peal all the posts and beams and sand any mold off in hard to reach crevices. Ill make sure to wear some sort of face mask when doing this. Then I need to get my stove roaring for a week or two to get it real dry inside.
Lastly id like to apply something to kill the mold. Im not sure what would be the most permie treatment. I know many mold treatments for log cabins have fungicide, so definitely off limits. Bleach is frowned upon here but borax is okay in small quantities.
Hoping for input from other permies on a really natural method, thanks.
Brian Karlsen wrote:Hi first post here I like what you are doing with the place. Any pics on the waterproofing where the structure is in contact with the soil im intrsted in building into a hillside i just cant get past the feeling im going to end up with damp isues.
As far as the mould ive heard good thi gs about alcohole and borax it soaks into the wood and displaces the moisture then drise faster leaving behind borax in the wood preventing future rot and mould a trick i learned from an old wooden boat builder
Brian Karlsen wrote: Any pics on the waterproofing where the structure is in contact with the soil i'm interested in building into a hillside i just cant get past the feeling im going to end up with damp issues.
jim forster wrote:. I am not sure how to apply the baking soda, should I just wipe it on dry?
How to Get Rid of Mold with Baking Soda
Baking Soda is a convenient solution to mold problems. It is inexpensive, helps prevent future mold growth, and deodorizes.
Baking Soda -Detergent Solution: 1/2 cup baking soda, 1 cup water, 1 Tbsp mild liquid detergent
Baking soda-Water Solution: ¼ to ½ Tbsp of baking soda to a spray bottle of water
Any surface, but use sparingly on pourous surfaces if it can’t dry out completely. Works best on non-pourous surfaces like tile and vinyl.
Spray area thoroughly and wipe with rag or scrub with appropriate semi-abrasive tool. Wipe away. Spray lightly again with the baking soda-water solution,and let dry thoroughly, the solution will naturally discourage new mold growth.
This is a low-risk substance. No strong fumes or odors, non-toxic, and safe for the environment.
How it works
Baking soda has a ph of about 8, which is too high for mold to thrive. The high ph not only kills mold, but discourages new mold from coming back.
No toxic fumes, environmentally safe, deodorizes, inexpensive.
Not as strong as bleach, commercial products, or even some other natural cleaners.
After application, heavy moisture can damage milk-based paint and lead to mold growth, and so it is unsuitable for the kitchen or bathroom; it is best on raw, clean wood, where it gives a soft, old-world look
Milk paint can be used in bathrooms. You should know that although it feels dry to the touch really fast, that it doesn't cure fully for a couple of weeks. With that in mind, you should not be introducing water vapor into the bathroom for a couple of weeks for best results. I would suggest lime casein (lime milk paint) over borax casein as it is much stronger. the Olde Fashioned Milk Paint Company sells it in powder with the lime and pigment already added