• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
permaculture forums growies critters building homesteading energy monies kitchen purity ungarbage community wilderness fiber arts art permaculture artisans regional education experiences global resources the cider press projects digital market permies.com private forums all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
master stewards:
  • Nicole Alderman
  • r ranson
  • Anne Miller
  • paul wheaton
  • Joseph Lofthouse
  • Mike Jay
  • Jocelyn Campbell
  • Devaka Cooray
garden masters:
  • Steve Thorn
  • Dave Burton
  • Dan Boone
  • Joylynn Hardesty
  • Mandy Launchbury-Rainey
  • Mike Barkley
Posts: 952
Location: 4b
dog forest garden trees bee building
  • Likes 5
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I chipped comfrey from inside a guild and used it in place and on the outside edge. I had an area of burdock 20 feet long and about 6 feet wide at the narrow end,  widening to 10 or 12 feet.  The burdock was chopped and added around the edges of the guild as well,  to add fertility and to keep the grass from moving in.  The allium that was chipped and dropped was collateral damage.  The sad stick in the middle of the guild is a plum tree that rabbits ringed and killed.  It will be replaced if it doesn't come back from the root.
[Thumbnail for 20190602_111732.jpg]
Part of the guild
[Thumbnail for 20190602_111407.jpg]
[Thumbnail for 20190602_112712.jpg]
[Thumbnail for 20190602_113114.jpg]
Another view
[Thumbnail for 20190602_114405.jpg]
[Thumbnail for 20190602_123934.jpg]
Placement of chopped material
Staff note (Mike Jay):

I certify this BB complete!

Posts: 16
books chicken cooking
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Does it HAVE to be Chop?  We hand pull orchard grass and use it to mulch right around where it was growing. More like pull and drop!

Posts: 610
Location: Galicia, Spain zone 9a
dog duck chicken cooking food preservation fiber arts pig bike bee solar ungarbage
  • Likes 4
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
This is my little patch of chop and drop. I waited until the bees had mainly finished with the wild flowers, weeded and chopped and then covered with an extra layer of hay, just leaving my comfrey to show through.
[Thumbnail for 20190529_115329.jpg]
[Thumbnail for 20190609_161742.jpg]
[Thumbnail for 20190609_173310.jpg]
[Thumbnail for 20190609_175101.jpg]
Staff note (paul wheaton):

i certify this bb as complete!

Posts: 32
  • Likes 5
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Zach and I worked on this BB on June 21st! I attached some photos below.
[Thumbnail for C105772E-82CD-4569-99F5-2375B38CF7DC.jpeg]
(Close up)Me chopping
[Thumbnail for C41C7172-E9A8-489A-A91F-CA2229CF84BA.jpeg]
Zach’s area before chopping
[Thumbnail for 6D99AF5F-2AAB-44AC-A550-29F8FE9C0851.jpeg]
My area before chopping
[Thumbnail for 9C529360-AE95-404D-8A3B-9A3A6FA70E45.jpeg]
My area after chopping
[Thumbnail for 89006823-5F53-463C-8FDC-33FD62EF2466.jpeg]
Zach’s area after chopping
[Thumbnail for A3A3F6BE-C028-4213-B10B-013D4CA211DE.jpeg]
Mulched area close up
[Thumbnail for F75A0686-CC73-4AFC-ACC9-503DCE130CC4.jpeg]
Mulched area close up
Staff note (Nicole Alderman):

I certify this BB is complete!

Posts: 1206
Location: mountains of Tennessee
cattle chicken bee homestead
  • Likes 2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
This is an example of the problem is the solution. Blackberries are ripening full strength now & an elderly lady terrified of snakes wants to pick some. That area used to be bush hogged but hasn't been done in several years. I'm gradually reclaiming it for easy berries & a few specific trees. Corn is starting to form cobs so wanted to give it some additional care. There was Austrian peas starting to interfere with that row. I started by chopping several large comfreys & spreading them the entire length. Then chopped & dropped the peas where they were. Next I started clearing the jungle (again) from around the blackberries. Tree saplings, honeysuckle, random other vines, & some sort of evil pointed plant that looks like blackberry but isn't. Chopped all that into smaller pieces then worked it in between & around the veggies. Also planted about ten peaches that spoiled. Will be pleasantly surprised if any of those sprout. Worked on it more today but rain ended that abruptly. By my calculations there is 84 square feet mulched (again) & 141 square feet remaining. The next layer will be some composted cow manure. It's a continuing work in progress but I think it exceeds the 50 square foot requirement now.

I call this a hugelberm. It's on contour built with layers of wood, soils, & mulches. That particular corn is intended for chickens but deer have been eyeing it lately. It could go either way.
[Thumbnail for a-comfrey.jpg]
[Thumbnail for b-comfrey-pile.jpg]
[Thumbnail for c-two-loads-of-sharp-pokies.jpg]
[Thumbnail for d-84-square-feet-completed.jpg]
[Thumbnail for e-sample-jungle-clearing.jpg]
[Thumbnail for f-next-load.jpg]
[Thumbnail for g-before.jpg]
Staff note (Mike Jay):

I certify this BB complete!

The glass is neither half full or half empty. It is too big. But this tiny ad is just right:
Hope in a World of Crisis - Water Cycle Restoration
  • Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
Boost this thread!