• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
permaculture forums growies critters building homesteading energy monies kitchen purity ungarbage community wilderness fiber arts art permaculture artisans regional education skip experiences global resources cider press projects digital market permies.com pie forums private forums all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
master stewards:
  • Anne Miller
  • jordan barton
  • Pearl Sutton
  • Leigh Tate
  • paul wheaton
stewards:
  • r ranson
  • Nicole Alderman
  • Greg Martin
master gardeners:
  • Carla Burke
  • John F Dean
  • Jay Angler
gardeners:
  • Nancy Reading
  • Mike Barkley
  • Christopher Shepherd

Wooden shoes

 
Posts: 104
Location: Sudbury ON, Canada
2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Does anyone out there have any experience making their own wooden shoes? bonus points if you are a hobbies doing it at home with common tools.
 
Posts: 16
2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Tom Kozak wrote:Does anyone out there have any experience making their own wooden shoes? bonus points if you are a hobbies doing it at home with common tools.



Not specifically, but do you have an idea what kind of thing you're looking for? A clog like the traditional Dutch footwear, or a wooden sole with leather nailed over the top?
 
master pollinator
Posts: 928
Location: Surrey, UK to Singapore to New Jersey
338
kids home care foraging trees books cooking food preservation bike fiber arts writing woodworking
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Or Geta - the original flipflop

 
master steward
Posts: 6479
Location: USDA Zone 8a
1915
dog hunting food preservation cooking bee greening the desert
  • Likes 3
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Here is a thread about making Japanese style shoes:

https://permies.com/t/140907/Making-Geta-Japanese-shoes
 
pollinator
Posts: 894
Location: BC Interior, Zone 6-7
243
forest garden tiny house books
  • Likes 3
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I bought some klompen, the Dutch clogs, cause my mother in law said they're really comfortable once you get them perfectly shaped to your feet. She says you just sand a little bit down here and there whenever you notice an uncomfortable spot and after a while they're perfect.

I could never figure out how to walk in mine, though. You can't bend your toes the way you do in flexible shoes every time you take a step.  You have to keep your ankles stiff and just lift your foot straight up by the knee and bring it down again. Klompen, indeed.

That's how it felt to me anyway, so I wouldn't recommend that style of shoe.
 
Edward Norton
master pollinator
Posts: 928
Location: Surrey, UK to Singapore to New Jersey
338
kids home care foraging trees books cooking food preservation bike fiber arts writing woodworking
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Anne Miller wrote:Here is a thread about making Japanese style shoes:

https://permies.com/t/140907/Making-Geta-Japanese-shoes



Anne - you are awesome.
 
Edward Norton
master pollinator
Posts: 928
Location: Surrey, UK to Singapore to New Jersey
338
kids home care foraging trees books cooking food preservation bike fiber arts writing woodworking
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Jan White wrote:I bought some klompen, the Dutch clogs, cause my mother in law said they're really comfortable once you get them perfectly shaped to your feet. She says you just sand a little bit down here and there whenever you notice an uncomfortable spot and after a while they're perfect.

I could never figure out how to walk in mine, though. You can't bend your toes the way you do in flexible shoes every time you take a step.  You have to keep your ankles stiff and just lift your foot straight up by the knee and bring it down again. Klompen, indeed.

That's how it felt to me anyway, so I wouldn't recommend that style of shoe.



I find it best to politely smile when my MiL suggests something and then do the total opposite. Sounds like you need to be born into a clog wearing family. It took me months to get used to wearing flip flops. That walking description sounds aweful!
 
No prison can hold Chairface Chippendale. And on a totally different topic ... my stuff:
Greenhouse of the Future ebook - now free for a while
https://permies.com/goodies/greenhouse
reply
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic