Win a copy of For the Love of Paw Paws this week in the Fruit Trees forum!
  • Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
permaculture forums growies critters building homesteading energy monies kitchen purity ungarbage community wilderness fiber arts art permaculture artisans regional education experiences global resources the cider press projects digital market permies.com private forums all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
master stewards:
  • Nicole Alderman
  • r ranson
  • Anne Miller
  • paul wheaton
stewards:
  • Jocelyn Campbell
  • Mike Jay Haasl
  • Burra Maluca
garden masters:
  • James Freyr
  • Joylynn Hardesty
  • Steve Thorn
  • Greg Martin
gardeners:
  • Carla Burke
  • Dave Burton
  • Pearl Sutton

What do I do with all of this summer squash?

 
pollinator
Posts: 758
Location: 6a
207
hugelkultur dog forest garden trees woodworking
  • Likes 4
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I overplanted squash.  I have a 4 x 6" bed dedicated to it.    The week before last I went out and picked squash and enjoyed it with just about every meal.  I just went out and picked again!   What can I do to save squash without canning it?  I have a feeling it will be mushy if it's canned.

Is there a way to store it so it will last longer?   I hate wasting stuff like this.  At the moment I'm thinking my only option is composting it.  

IMG_5201.JPG
[Thumbnail for IMG_5201.JPG]
 
master pollinator
Posts: 11369
Location: Central Texas USA Latitude 30 Zone 8
740
cat forest garden fish trees chicken fiber arts wood heat greening the desert
  • Likes 3
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Native people dried it for winter storage.  I think it's pretty tasty that way, eaten as chips.  Can also be added to soup in this chip form.

Dried squash could be ground and used as a soup base.  This might be the most efficient way to store a lot of it in a small space.  Dried squash powder could be stored in the freezer for best longevity.
 
Scott Foster
pollinator
Posts: 758
Location: 6a
207
hugelkultur dog forest garden trees woodworking
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Tyler Ludens wrote:Native people dried it for winter storage.  I think it's pretty tasty that way, eaten as chips.  Can also be added to soup in this chip form.

Dried squash could be ground and used as a soup base.  This might be the most efficient way to store a lot of it in a small space.  Dried squash powder could be stored in the freezer for best longevity.



Great idea, thanks Tyler
 
gardener
Posts: 2697
Location: Central Texas zone 8a
496
cattle chicken bee sheep
  • Likes 5
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Ive been canning it and eating it from the can. Its mushy but noone has had problems with it. A little butter and heated up as a side. Dump a can in with cooked rice or spaghetti sauce. I keep thinking of new ways to encorporate it.
 
Scott Foster
pollinator
Posts: 758
Location: 6a
207
hugelkultur dog forest garden trees woodworking
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

wayne fajkus wrote:Ive been canning it and eating it from the can. Its mushy but no one has had problems with it. A little butter and heated up as a side. Dump a can in with cooked rice or spaghetti sauce. I keep thinking of new ways to incorporate it.



Thanks, Wayne, I could do a little drying and little canning.  This batch is toast as I'm going out of town.
 
pollinator
Posts: 356
Location: BC Interior, Zone 6-7
55
forest garden tiny house books
  • Likes 6
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
My husband goes through an obscene amount of zucchini butter sandwiches.

2 pounds zucchini, more or less*
1/4 cup olive oil or butter, if you prefer
2 minced shallots, garlic, or combination of both
Salt and pepper
Coarsely grate the zucchini. Let it drain in a colander for 3 to 4 minutes or until you are ready to begin cooking. To hasten cooking time, squeeze the water out of the zucchini by wringing it in a clean cloth towel.

In a deep skillet, heat the olive oil/butter. Sauté the shallots briefly. Add the zucchini and toss. Cook and stir over medium to medium-high heat until the zucchini reaches a spreadable consistency. If you scorch the bottom, turn the flame down! (And scrape those delicious bits into the marmalade for added flavor.) The zucchini will hold its bright green color and slowly caramelize into a nice vegetable jam.



Says it will keep a month in the fridge, and I see no reason why it couldn't be frozen.

Good on toast, in sandwiches, as pizza sauce...
 
Tyler Ludens
master pollinator
Posts: 11369
Location: Central Texas USA Latitude 30 Zone 8
740
cat forest garden fish trees chicken fiber arts wood heat greening the desert
  • Likes 3
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Don't throw them out, they may stay just fine until you get back.  Just make sure they aren't sitting on a surface that might be damaged if some pass into the great beyond.
 
steward
Posts: 4689
Location: Cache Valley, zone 4b, Irrigated, 9" rain in badlands.
1564
  • Likes 5
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

If some of those varieties were allowed to mature on the vine, they would make decent, long-storing winter squash.
 
pollinator
Posts: 312
Location: Quebec, Canada
40
hugelkultur forest garden trees urban
  • Likes 6
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I love squash…..

It looks like the kind that can be store long term as is.  I put my squash in a cooler room and it lasted 9 months.  One has spoiled about 5 months ago, so I composted it, but I just cooked my last one last week.

I cook one each week and what I do not eat that week, I then freeze.

You can add squash to cookies.  I make a dyhydrated cookies: squash, ripe bananas, cooked squash, maple syrup, sunflower seeds, shelled pumpkin seeds, pumpkin spice and oatmeal.  Mix it without other liquid, so adjust your ingredients to make it work.  Each time, it a bit different.  Then I flatten it into cookie shapes and dyhydrate it.  Make a tasty cookie.


Also, I love making squash compote.  Cooked squash, maple syrup, pumpkin spice and any fruit I have on hand.  Cook on low to evaporate extra moisture or once it is cooked, I add dried fruit & chia seeds to absorb extra moisture.  I then use it on toast like jam or add it to smoothies.  I really love peanut butter & squash compote on toast so much that I eat it a few times per week.

You can also mash cooked squash and carrots as a side dish.  Squash is a very versatile fruit.

If you can it, it must be well canned as solid foods need more time to be properly canned.  I prefer freezing cooked squash since it is less work and less risky and I currently have space for it in the freezer as needed.  I hope one day that I will grow 52 squash, one for each week of the year.  I think of squash as a staple food.  Easy to store, easy to cook and tastes great by itself or blends well with other foods.

I am growing squash for the first time this year (grew zuchinni other years).  I will not get close to 52 squash, as I only have a few plants to experiment this year.  

If you still have too much squash, give it to friends and neighbours who do not grow or donate it to the food bank.



 
gardener
Posts: 2347
Location: Fraser River Headwaters, Zone3, Lat: 53N, Altitude 2750', Boreal/Temperate Rainforest-transition
303
hugelkultur forest garden fungi trees books food preservation bike solar woodworking
  • Likes 4
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
you could bake them, scoop the pulp into jars or bags and freeze it for later use.  Squash, like zucchini, can be used to make bread..   Great job growing so much great looking squash.

At the moment I'm thinking my only option is composting it.  

It certainly could be a great source of composting material if one wanted to grow squash for that purpose.  Especially since squash also produce a lot of seeds so that a person could create a lot of squash to make a lot of compost...  :)  I've considered it.  
 
Scott Foster
pollinator
Posts: 758
Location: 6a
207
hugelkultur dog forest garden trees woodworking
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Jan White wrote:My husband goes through an obscene amount of zucchini butter sandwiches.

2 pounds zucchini, more or less*
1/4 cup olive oil or butter, if you prefer
2 minced shallots, garlic, or combination of both
Salt and pepper
Coarsely grate the zucchini. Let it drain in a colander for 3 to 4 minutes or until you are ready to begin cooking. To hasten cooking time, squeeze the water out of the zucchini by wringing it in a clean cloth towel.

In a deep skillet, heat the olive oil/butter. Sauté the shallots briefly. Add the zucchini and toss. Cook and stir over medium to medium-high heat until the zucchini reaches a spreadable consistency. If you scorch the bottom, turn the flame down! (And scrape those delicious bits into the marmalade for added flavor.) The zucchini will hold its bright green color and slowly caramelize into a nice vegetable jam.



Says it will keep a month in the fridge, and I see no reason why it couldn't be frozen.

Good on toast, in sandwiches, as pizza sauce...




Thanks Jan!  All this stuff sounds yum.
 
Scott Foster
pollinator
Posts: 758
Location: 6a
207
hugelkultur dog forest garden trees woodworking
  • Likes 2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Roberto pokachinni wrote:you could bake them, scoop the pulp into jars or bags and freeze it for later use.  Squash, like zucchini, can be used to make bread..   Great job growing so much great looking squash.

At the moment I'm thinking my only option is composting it.  

It certainly could be a great source of composting material if one wanted to grow squash for that purpose.  Especially since squash also produce a lot of seeds so that a person could create a lot of squash to make a lot of compost...  :)  I've considered it.  



Thanks!  These beds are three years old I think they have hit a sweet spot.   I’d like to say I did something special but these babies are on auto-pilot 😁
 
Scott Foster
pollinator
Posts: 758
Location: 6a
207
hugelkultur dog forest garden trees woodworking
  • Likes 2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Joseph Lofthouse wrote:
If some of those varieties were allowed to mature on the vine, they would make decent, long-storing winter squash.



I’m not sure what kind of squash these are.  I had a bunch sprout from a squash I crashed and threw back into the bed.  I think some of them crossed with a pumpkin.   The only way I have cooked them is skinned and chopped and then baked with olive oil.  All have been tasty.  The Zuch is a volunteer.  I only planted
One variety of squash I got from baker creek.
 
Scott Foster
pollinator
Posts: 758
Location: 6a
207
hugelkultur dog forest garden trees woodworking
  • Likes 2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Michelle Bisson wrote:I love squash…..

It looks like the kind that can be store long term as is.  I put my squash in a cooler room and it lasted 9 months.  One has spoiled about 5 months ago, so I composted it, but I just cooked my last one last week.

I cook one each week and what I do not eat that week, I then freeze.

You can add squash to cookies.  I make a dyhydrated cookies: squash, ripe bananas, cooked squash, maple syrup, sunflower seeds, shelled pumpkin seeds, pumpkin spice and oatmeal.  Mix it without other liquid, so adjust your ingredients to make it work.  Each time, it a bit different.  Then I flatten it into cookie shapes and dyhydrate it.  Make a tasty cookie.


Also, I love making squash compote.  Cooked squash, maple syrup, pumpkin spice and any fruit I have on hand.  Cook on low to evaporate extra moisture or once it is cooked, I add dried fruit & chia seeds to absorb extra moisture.  I then use it on toast like jam or add it to smoothies.  I really love peanut butter & squash compote on toast so much that I eat it a few times per week.

You can also mash cooked squash and carrots as a side dish.  Squash is a very versatile fruit.

If you can it, it must be well canned as solid foods need more time to be properly canned.  I prefer freezing cooked squash since it is less work and less risky and I currently have space for it in the freezer as needed.  I hope one day that I will grow 52 squash, one for each week of the year.  I think of squash as a staple food.  Easy to store, easy to cook and tastes great by itself or blends well with other foods.

I am growing squash for the first time this year (grew zuchinni other years).  I will not get close to 52 squash, as I only have a few plants to experiment this year.  

If you still have too much squash, give it to friends and neighbours who do not grow or donate it to the food bank.






You should write a cookbook 😁
 
Posts: 122
Location: Prairie Canada zone 2/3
41
  • Likes 6
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
We freeze all of our surplus summer squash.  Typically, we cut half into bite-sized cubes, and we grate the other half.  We don't blanch it or anything - just cut/grate, squeeze out excess liquid, and into the freezer it goes (we vacuum seal it, but that's a lot of plastic waste; you may want to do that differently).  We use it to substitute for half of the meat in dishes like chili, spaghetti sauce, enchaladas, and similar.  We also bake it into breads and cakes.  Cubed works best for chilis and stews, while grated works better for spaghetti, enchaladas, and baking.  It is very versatile.  
 
garden master
Posts: 2126
Location: Officially Zone 7b, according to personal obsevations I live in 7a, SW Tennessee
685
forest garden foraging books food preservation cooking fiber arts bee medical herbs
  • Likes 4
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I've cubed and frozen my summer squashes in the past. I will kinda stir fry it with a variety of other stuff. Just keep it at the slightly firm stage. It's also good added to various casseroles.
 
pollinator
Posts: 1563
Location: Big Island, Hawaii (2300' elevation, 60" avg. annual rainfall, temp range 55-80 degrees F)
533
forest garden rabbit tiny house books solar woodworking
  • Likes 5
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Per permaculture ethics........share the excess.

In my area, people often share their excess. It's not uncommon to go to town on market day and see a box of limes with a free sign sitting outside the coffee truck. Same with tangerines, bananas, avocados. People will drop of excess garden harvests at the senior center, the local health clinic, our local small hospital and nursing home. The churches often pass along the free produce that gets shared. I've seen boxes of all sorts of garden items sitting at the church door in Sunday mornings, with the free sign in it. Maybe this sort of gesture is unheard of in other areas, but it is common enough where I live.
 
master steward
Posts: 2688
Location: USDA Zone 8a
706
dog hunting food preservation cooking bee greening the desert
  • Likes 3
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I love squash relish:

8 cups diced yellow squash
2 cups diced onion
2 red bell peppers, diced
2 green bell peppers, diced
3 tablespoons salt
3 cups white sugar
2 cups vinegar
2 teaspoons celery seeds
2 teaspoons whole mustard seeds
6 (1 pint) canning jars with lids and rings

Place the squash, onion, and red and green bell peppers into a large bowl, and sprinkle with salt. Toss to combine, and allow the vegetables to drain for 1 hour. Discard juice.

Place the sugar, vinegar, celery seeds, and mustard seeds into a large pot, and bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring to dissolve sugar. Stir in the squash mixture, and return to a boil. Cook the mixture until the vegetables are tender, about 15 minutes.

Sterilize the jars and lids in boiling water for at least 5 minutes. Pack the squash relish into the hot, sterilized jars, filling the jars to within 1/4 inch of the top. Run a knife or a thin spatula around the insides of the jars after they have been filled to remove any air bubbles. Wipe the rims of the jars with a moist paper towel to remove any food residue. Top with lids, and screw on rings.

Place a rack in the bottom of a large stockpot and fill halfway with water. Bring to a boil over high heat, then carefully lower the jars into the pot using a holder. Leave a 2-inch space between the jars. Pour in more boiling water if necessary until the water level is at least 1 inch above the tops of the jars. Bring the water to a full boil, cover the pot, and process for 10 minutes, or the time recommended for your area.

Remove the jars from the pot, and place onto a cloth-covered or wood surface, several inches apart, until cool. Once cool, press the top of each lid with a finger, ensuring that the seal is tight (lid does not move up or down at all).


 
Joylynn Hardesty
garden master
Posts: 2126
Location: Officially Zone 7b, according to personal obsevations I live in 7a, SW Tennessee
685
forest garden foraging books food preservation cooking fiber arts bee medical herbs
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Anne Miller wrote:I love squash relish:





Thank you so much for posting this! Once upon a time I had a similar recipe, but it had lots of spicy hotness that I cannot consume any more. Any adjustments I made just didn't taste right.
 
pollinator
Posts: 977
Location: Virginia USDA 7a/b
201
hugelkultur forest garden hunting chicken food preservation bee
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Scott,

for what it's worth, I dried probably 100# of summer squash last summer and stored it in gallon bags with silica packets (I dry lots of stuff). The squash was the only thing that molded! Every bag! And the humidity strip said it was appropriately dry. So not doing that anymore. I will admit they were dry but not crisped, because that tends to make them leathery on reconstitution, but its the same level of dry I do for tomatoes and peppers and fruit.

This year I am fermenting quite a bit with some calcium chloride (keeps them a little crisper) and also baking cubed squash and freezing them after baking. They are a wonderful addition to soups in the winter. I like the other ideas on here too.

I especially like the fruit extension aspect, I wonder if I could do fruit leather with it?

 
steward
Posts: 3153
Location: Moved from south central WI to Portland, OR
616
hugelkultur urban chicken food preservation bike bee
  • Likes 3
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Tj Jefferson wrote:for what it's worth, I dried probably 100# of summer squash last summer and stored it in gallon bags with silica packets (I dry lots of stuff). The squash was the only thing that molded! Every bag! And the humidity strip said it was appropriately dry. So not doing that anymore. I will admit they were dry but not crisped, because that tends to make them leathery on reconstitution, but its the same level of dry I do for tomatoes and peppers and fruit.



I think the difference is due to tomatoes and peppers and fruit having more inherent acidity.  Sort of like how you can waterbath can tomatoes and fruits, but you have to pressure can green beans - or summer squash.

You might want to experiment (with maybe 5 pounds of summer squash) with sprinkling the sliced pieces with salt, discarding the liquid shed, and then drying it.  Even better, but making things taste funny, would be to sprinkle with citric acid instead.
 
gardener
Posts: 2784
Location: Central Oklahoma (zone 7a)
598
forest garden trees woodworking
  • Likes 5
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
My method for dehydrating summer squashes  is to slice them as thick as will fit between the trays of my dehydrator, salt them well, and let them stand in a large mixing bowl or colander until a lot of water drains.  Then I toss them with a basic flavor mixture (a bit of onion and garlic powder, some kind of pepper, perhaps a bit of nutritional yeast, you could go wild and start in on the things that you put into your favorite garam masala) and dehydrate them until they crunch and snap.  At this point stored in a tightly-sealed glass jar they are a snack food in their own right, although over time they soften up again and get too chewy for my dubious teeth.  But they have never molded for me and as they soften they can be easily stacked and cut with a chef knife into small pieces that, thrown into a soup or stew, add a nice rich vegetable character without being specifically squashy.  
 
pollinator
Posts: 316
Location: Virginia
97
books chicken cooking
  • Likes 3
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I freeze the chunks as well.  I have also dehydrated thin slices which I then store in the freezer. It seems to last better that way. The dehydrated shreds are great in zucchini potato chowder.  Sometimes, I will make a double batch of the soup and freeze half for lazy or busy days.  

I also got a cheap hand held spiralizer thing to make squash noodles. Can sub for spaghetti or rice noodles.  I use them mostly in Singapore noodles or Thai shrimp curry soup. Be careful not to overcook them or they will turn to mush.

Also roasting sheets of eggplant and squash for no noodle lasagna.  Plan to experiment with dehydrating or freezing the roasted sheets for when the season is done.  
 
Posts: 947
Location: Graham, Washington [Zone 7b, 47.041 Latitude] 41inches average annual rainfall, cool summer drought
44
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
If you miss a few and they turn into crappy winter squash, you could always launch them at bad neighbors.

That aside, any excess beyond human use is great for pigs and poultry.
 
pollinator
Posts: 1877
Location: La Palma (Canary island) Zone 11
61
purity forest garden tiny house wofati bike solar
  • Likes 2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
When I have too much for me, I give all cucurbs to my guinea pigs! They like the skin best, and curiously are not fond of seeds at all.
This is a very useful cooking thread by the way!
 
Scott Foster
pollinator
Posts: 758
Location: 6a
207
hugelkultur dog forest garden trees woodworking
  • Likes 3
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Tyler Ludens wrote:Don't throw them out, they may stay just fine until you get back.  Just make sure they aren't sitting on a surface that might be damaged if some pass into the great beyond.



Thanks, Tyler, I just left them out on wood chips and they look perfect.  Crazy.  I came back from time off to about five pounds of tomatoes, more squash, peppers etc.  I'm starting to realize moving towards food-self-sufficient, isn't so much about growing stuff, it's more about storing it.  (At least in my area.)
 
Scott Foster
pollinator
Posts: 758
Location: 6a
207
hugelkultur dog forest garden trees woodworking
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Tina Hillel wrote:I freeze the chunks as well.  I have also dehydrated thin slices which I then store in the freezer. It seems to last better that way. The dehydrated shreds are great in zucchini potato chowder.  Sometimes, I will make a double batch of the soup and freeze half for lazy or busy days.  

I also got a cheap hand held spiralizer thing to make squash noodles. Can sub for spaghetti or rice noodles.  I use them mostly in Singapore noodles or Thai shrimp curry soup. Be careful not to overcook them or they will turn to mush.

Also roasting sheets of eggplant and squash for no noodle lasagna.  Plan to experiment with dehydrating or freezing the roasted sheets for when the season is done.  




Thanks, Tina great ideas.
 
Posts: 171
4
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I tried this a few years ago. I didn't need the food, I just wanted to see what the storage length was.

My rule of thumb now is: If it says it's SUMMER squash... it'll keep until Jan 1st

If it's WINTER squash, it'll keep until May 1st of the following year.

Of course, only store unblemished and perfect specimens, in a cool cellar.

On another hand... apples will keep until the following May in a cool cellar. They need to be gone through at least every two weeks to a month to throw out the rotten ones. Rotten ones can be used for applesauce of course. Out of 20 gallons I still had 2 or 3 gallons left in May.

Another note: You know how to make sauerkraut, right? Broccoli is a member of the same family. I have some broccoli in the basement that i cut up and put in brine 3 years ago and it still looks edible. Amazing.
Content minimized. Click to view
 
Scott Foster
pollinator
Posts: 758
Location: 6a
207
hugelkultur dog forest garden trees woodworking
  • Likes 2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Tj Jefferson wrote:Scott,

for what it's worth, I dried probably 100# of summer squash last summer and stored it in gallon bags with silica packets (I dry lots of stuff). The squash was the only thing that molded! Every bag! And the humidity strip said it was appropriately dry. So not doing that anymore. I will admit they were dry but not crisped, because that tends to make them leathery on reconstitution, but its the same level of dry I do for tomatoes and peppers and fruit.

This year I am fermenting quite a bit with some calcium chloride (keeps them a little crisper) and also baking cubed squash and freezing them after baking. They are a wonderful addition to soups in the winter. I like the other ideas on here too.

I especially like the fruit extension aspect, I wonder if I could do fruit leather with it?



Sorry to hear about all those squash going bad,  a lot of work to go bust.    I'm reading a book on fermentation as it's something I would like to get into beyond making Mead.  I love pickles, hot kimchi and etc, definitely worth looking into and I love hot stuff so it's a good way to use an overabundance of peppers, garlic and maybe onions.    
 
Scott Foster
pollinator
Posts: 758
Location: 6a
207
hugelkultur dog forest garden trees woodworking
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Anne Miller that looks really good!
 
Anne Miller
master steward
Posts: 2688
Location: USDA Zone 8a
706
dog hunting food preservation cooking bee greening the desert
  • Likes 5
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I just finished cutting up yellow summer squash and red bell pepper to make the Squash Relish, above.

For lunch I am fixing Squash Casserole:

Southern Baked Yellow Squash

   3 pounds yellow summer squash, cut into 1-inch cubes
   1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
   1/2 cup chopped onion
   2 eggs
   1/4 cup butter, melted
   1 tablespoon white sugar
   1 teaspoon salt
   1/2 teaspoon black pepper

For topping:
   1/4 cup butter, melted
   1/4 cup dry bread crumbs

Preheat an oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease a 2-quart baking dish.

Place the squash in a large saucepan, cover with water, and boil until soft, about 15 minutes. Drain the squash well, place in a large mixing bowl, and mash until slightly chunky. Stir in 1/2 cup of bread crumbs, onion, eggs, 1/4 cup of butter, sugar, salt, and pepper until thoroughly combined, and spread mixture into the prepared baking dish.

Drizzle the top of the casserole with 1/4 cup melted butter, and sprinkle 1/4 cup bread crumbs over the butter.  Shredded cheese also makes a nice addition to the topping.

Bake in the preheated oven until the casserole is cooked through and the top is golden brown, about 1 hour.

 
Posts: 182
Location: 7b desert southern Idaho
16
  • Likes 3
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I mix zucchini, bananas, berries, peanuts, and cocoa, blend with liquid then freeze into pop cycles.
 
Anne Miller
master steward
Posts: 2688
Location: USDA Zone 8a
706
dog hunting food preservation cooking bee greening the desert
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I found this recipe for Lemon and Yellow Squash Quick Bread that looks good:

https://www.thespruceeats.com/lemon-yellow-squash-quick-bread-recipe-1136046

It is on my list for tomorrow

!


 
Posts: 32
Location: King William, VA
4
cooking food preservation homestead
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Anne Miller wrote:I just finished cutting up yellow summer squash and red bell pepper to make the Squash Relish, above.

For lunch I am fixing Squash Casserole:

Southern Baked Yellow Squash

   3 pounds yellow summer squash, cut into 1-inch cubes
   1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
   1/2 cup chopped onion
   2 eggs
   1/4 cup butter, melted
   1 tablespoon white sugar
   1 teaspoon salt
   1/2 teaspoon black pepper

For topping:
   1/4 cup butter, melted
   1/4 cup dry bread crumbs

Preheat an oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease a 2-quart baking dish.

Place the squash in a large saucepan, cover with water, and boil until soft, about 15 minutes. Drain the squash well, place in a large mixing bowl, and mash until slightly chunky. Stir in 1/2 cup of bread crumbs, onion, eggs, 1/4 cup of butter, sugar, salt, and pepper until thoroughly combined, and spread mixture into the prepared baking dish.

Drizzle the top of the casserole with 1/4 cup melted butter, and sprinkle 1/4 cup bread crumbs over the butter.  Shredded cheese also makes a nice addition to the topping.

Bake in the preheated oven until the casserole is cooked through and the top is golden brown, about 1 hour.



That looks like a great way to use up summer squash.  One of my favorite recipes that I have in my summer squash rotation is squash fritters with simple marinara sauce (you can use the recipe below or use your own - I prefer onion in my sauce).  I was able to use up 15 squash yesterday by tripling the recipe.  Just make sure you squeeze the be-Jesus out of the grated squash in a white cloth towel prior to mixing with the other ingredients. Getting rid of as much excess moisture in the squash is key to being able to form the fritters and flip them in the pan.  

4 medium zucchini, grated
2 eggs
1/2 cup bread crumbs
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons Romano cheese
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
2 tablespoons parsley chopped
12 ounces extra-virgin olive oil, use as needed

Marinara sauce
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
6 garlic cloves, minced
2 cans (32 ounces each) cans crushed tomatoes
Kosher salt to taste
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
8 basil leaves

INSTRUCTIONS
For the sauce: In a medium saucepan, heat the olive oil. Add the minced garlic and saute for 2 to 3 minutes to a light golden brown. Pour in the tomatoes and bring to a simmer. Allow the tomatoes to cook, stirring frequently, for 11/2 hours. Add the basil, season to liking, and cook for 5 more minutes.
For the fritters: Shred the zucchini on a box grater and set aside.
In a mixing bowl, mix the eggs, bread crumbs, flour, cheese, salt, pepper and parsley. Add the zucchini and mix well to incorporate. Place in the refrigerator for 15 minutes.
In a saute pan, heat a nice layer of olive oil and scoop the batter into the oil with a tablespoon. Cook a few at a time; do not crowd. Once golden brown on one side, flip the fritters and allow to brown on the other side. Remove the fritters from the oil and place on a paper towel to cool. Repeat with remaining batter adding oil as necessary.
Serves eight.
Courtesy Chef Michael Ponzio
 
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal! And this tiny ad too!
permaculture bootcamp - learn permaculture through a little hard work
https://permies.com/wiki/bootcamp
  • Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
Boost this thread!