In this Badge Bit, you will make a stir fry. Basically, you're going to be cooking food in some type of fat. You use some type of wide round cooking container with low sides (e.g. a pan, wok, or even cast iron skillet) and some type of heat source (e.g. rocket mass heater, a stovetop, the sun)! Throw your desired ingredients in your desired fat and cook it!
Some examples of stir fries:
Stir fries are usually made of the following (but you can use as many or as few ingredients as you want):
- some type of fat (typically an oil, but could also be done with butter, lard, coconut oil, etc)
- some type of protein (could be meat, eggs, beans, tofu, or something else)
- some type of carbohydrate (could be rice, quinoa, potatoes, noodles, pasta, etc)
- some hard vegetables (like onions, carrots, bell peppers, or celery)
- some leafy vegetables (like spinach, kale, arugula, or spring greens)
- some type of spices or herbs (like green onion, hot peppers, ginger, or garlic)
- and maybe some type of topping (like crushed nuts, dried mushrooms, or coconut flakes)
To complete this BB, the minimum requirements are:
- should serve at least 2 people (leftovers!)
- ingredients and meal are not to be pre-made or pre-prepared
- (e.g. no Ramen noodles, packets of seasonings, Blue Apron, etc)
- no microwave
To show you've completed this Badge Bit, you must:
- post a rough recipe of what you put in your stir fry
- post a picture of you preparing some of the ingredients (or the leftovers you are using)
- post a picture of your ingredients in the pan
- post a picture of your finished stir fry!
I got to visit a friend's house, and I got to make a stir fry in his kitchen! It was a lot of fun! And I was told that it turned out tasty! And I thought it tasted good, too!
This is the rough recipe:
-1 yellow onion
-2 celery stalks
-2 small potatoes
-1 sweet potato
-3 carrots (1 orange, white, and purple)
-1 lb (or 2)ish of pork belly
-3 cloves garlic
-a few other different dried herbs
-2 tablespoons walnut oil
-2 tablespoons butter
I cut the carrots and celery with oblique cuts. I diced the onions. I cut the potatoes and radish with oblique cuts and then diced them smaller. I felt that this was enough starches and didn't use everything I showed in the picture upon realizing how much everything amounted to. I diced the onions. I minced and then crushed the garlic with the chef's knife. I cooked the pork belly on high in butter until browned. Then, I took it out of the pan while I cooked half of the onions and garlic on high for a few minutes and then simmered on medium for a little. I then added all of the starches and cooked those with the onions on high until they were softer. I added walnut oil as some of more of the butter and pork grease was soaked up. Then, I moved them all into the serving dish. Then, I cooked the vegetables for a few minutes on high, and then, I added the pork belly to the vegetables and cooked for a few more minutes. Then, i added everything to the serving dish. I topped everything off with sage and a few other dried herbs.