The winners will be notified by Purple Moosage and must respond within 24 hours. Only the winners who respond within that timeframe will receive their book. Watch for a PM, and a notice in this thread announcing the winners!
Please remember that we favour perennial discussion. The threads you start will last beyond the event. You don't need to use Jon Stika's name to get his attention. We like these threads to be accessible to everyone, and some people may not post their experiences if the thread is directed to the author alone.
Posts in this thread won't count as an entry to win the book, but please say "Hi!" to Jon Stika and make him feel welcome!
"You must be the change you want to see in the world." "First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." --Mahatma Gandhi
"Preach the Gospel always, and if necessary, use words." --Francis of Assisi.
"Family farms work when the whole family works the farm." -- Adam Klaus
Welcome to permies Jon! I hope you have lots of fun here with us like-minded and like-hearted folk. I have much to learn yet about growing my own soil. My "Clear-cut garden" is in zone 10+ so I need to grow it in place because access is a 5 min forest trail walk only. No road access.
Hey Jon … Welcome to the neighborhood. Me too, This is my first post.
Got a soil question for you. A lot of folks use newspaper and cardboard for mulching. Also, I’m in the worm composting world, where many people use paper products for bedding material. I’m of a mind that the inks and compounds in paper products can be toxic, and that toxicity can bioaccumulate in the soil and uptake into plants, and us, via our contact with the soil. I don’t buy the the argument that soy-based inks eliminate that risk because that’s just soy “based”. That doesn’t factor the chems used to control drying time and flow rate, or the dyes in coloured inks. Last time I checked, the industry requirement to be labeled soy-based required a minimum of 20% soy. The remaining 80% could be the cheaper petroleum base if desired.
Where are you with all that? Do you know of any research that assesses soil chemistry of various mulching or bedding substances that includes paper products? I’d love to be wrong because there’s so much readily available paper out there - although, I would still prefer that paper be recycled on behalf of trees.
Happy to hear your thoughts.
"There is enough in the world for everyones needs, but not enough for everyones greed"
I went digging through the soil and found 4 winners!
D. Sue Dunn
I'll be sending each of you a PM (Purple Moosage)--please respond by Sunday to claim your prize!
Huge thanks to Jon Stika for joining us this week and answering so many questions and taking part in discussions! For those of you who didn't win, have no worries, you can buy his book with this handy link !
The question regarding ink in paper is a very good one. I do not know of any research that has been done on issues of toxicity from ink when using paper for mulching. Sounds like a good thesis for an organic agriculture major!
Most ink in newsprint is soy based. I'm not sure about the other ones, particularly colour stuff. Might be icky.
Hi John Sitka! I won a copy of your book ! Super looking forward to it. I'm a bit of a book nerd, and a soil freak... so it's kinda fitting.
"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has."-Margaret Mead "The only thing worse than being blind, is having sight but no vision."-Helen Keller