In this Badge Bit, you will measure power consumption of 12 devices with a Kill-A-Watt meter (or equivalent). Have you heard about those pesky phantom loads? Let's track them down and see how scary they are!
To complete this BB, the minimum requirements are:
- measure usage of 12 devices
- 24 hour consumption for devices that stay plugged in and you don't turn on/off (refrigerator, sump pump, freezer, etc)
- usage per event for devices you turn on/off (tea kettle, garage door opener, phone charger, printer)
- standby usage for devices you turn on/off (this is the "phantom load")
To show you've completed this Badge Bit, provide proof of the following as pics or video (less than two minutes):
- list the 12 devices
- show two of them plugged into the meter
- list 24 hour consumption for those devices you don't turn on/off
- list usage per event and phantom load usage for those devices that you do turn on/off
- give two examples that were a surprise to you
I'm not sure if I approve of this interruption. But this tiny ad checks out:
Permaculture Community Garden fundraising effort - You can Win Stuff!!!