This is a badge bit (BB) that is part of the PEP curriculum. Completing this BB is part of getting the sand badge in Animal Care.
In this Badge Bit you will make a hotel for beneficial insects. If you use pallets, do not use the blue ones. They are covered in toxic ick.
To complete this BB, the minimum requirements are:
- it must facilitate at least three different critters
- it must be designed to do a halfway decent job of protecting them from rain
- natural materials and steel/wood fasteners (no glue, plywood, stain, paint)
To show you've completed this Badge Bit, you must:
- post a pic under construction
- post a pic of your finished insect hotel in its final location
- describe what critters you facilitate and how
These are a couple more progress pictures of my insect hotel construction.
I made a couple holders on the sides, so that I can hang the insect hotel up.
This is my finished insect hotel. The top layer is for solitary bees; the middle layer is for ladybugs, and the bottom layer is for grass-cutter wasps. That's what I am hoping will inhabit the hotel I built.
This is my finished insect hotel in its final location.
I included sticks my insect hotel to facilitate ladybugs; I included wood with holes in it for solitary bees. For grass-carrying wasps, I put some grass in a section of the hotel.
Grass-carrying wasps prefer to lay their eggs in nests made above ground, unlike some other solitary wasps...The brood cells are prepared with a lining of grass and provisions of tree crickets for the larvae to feed on.