Here is my submission for Build a Hugelkultur - PEP BB gardening.sand.hugelkultur
To complete this BB, the minimum requirements are:
- 7 feet tall, 7 feet wide, 6 feet long
it with at least 4 different kinds of mulch
- seed/plant at least a dozen different species
- seeds are mostly nitrogen fixers (>75% by volume)
- at least three comfrey plants
- at least three sunchokes
- at least a dozen sepp holzer
grains (currently available as a prize for anyone who reaches BB20)
To document your completion of the BB, provide the following:
- Two pics of the site before the work is started with the intended location marked out.
- Probably marked with wood
laid on the ground that will soon be buried!
- Three pics of three different stages of construction - showing the contents of the hugelkultur
- One pic when the hugelkultur is completely built but not planted or mulched proving it is 7 feet tall and 6 feet long
- Pics of all the stuff about to be planted
- A paragraph or two of what wood was used and where it came from, what was planted, what mulches were applied and anything else interesting
- Two pics of the site after the work is complete from the same two locations as the beginning pictures.
This hugel was built over a few days during SKIP 2022. Wood used came from area conifer around Allerton Abbey at Wheaton Labs. I planted jerusalem artichoke (sunchoke), comfrey, Sepp Holzer grain, crimson, red, and rose clovers, field mint, common and hairy vetches, birdsfoot trefoil, field pea, daikon radish, and seed balls made at WL containing more clovers, vetches, cherry, apple, and sainfoin.
Mulching was accomplished with bark and branches from wood around AA, limbs from conifer, serviceberry, straw, and additional brush from the perimeter of the abbey.
Temperatures exceeded 100F throughout the endeavor.