This is a badge bit (BB
) that is part of the PEP curriculum
. Completing this BB is part of getting the sand badge in earthworks
For this BB, you will be learning how to create trails. These are useful to help people
and animals move across your land
, without disturbing the land too much.
An example of making a trail by hand is shown in this video
This example is not quite perfect, because the trail is not built by a berm
. But you can see just how much fun a trail can add to your property!
Another example of trail building is what these guys did over here:
The above example is still not by a berm, but it will provide lots of enjoyment and fun!
- Build a 20' trail (1' wide) on a berm or hugelkultur
- Berm/hugel must be at least 7' high so the trail provides access to the higher reaches
To get certified for this BB, post three pics
- The berm or hugelkultur
without a trail
- A picture about halfway through of you using handtools to make the trail
- The berm or hugelkultur with a trail that is at least 20ft long and 1ft wide
- Describe what seeds were planted.